Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The differance between drag and crossdressing

Erickka posted more or less what I was about to say. My thoughts are that Drag is more a parody of women whereas Crossdressing is - by and large - emulation of women.

But what's a label or two between friends

Zoe

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Zoe said it very plainly!! My only difference with her is what she said about a label or two between friends! We do not need any more labels!!!!!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

To me, it just means "Dressed as a girl" and like any other term in the LGBTQ community, it is open to interpretation

In an Enigma,surrounded by a Black Hole,inside a Conundrum
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Preston View Post
    Erickka posted more or less what I was about to say. My thoughts are that Drag is more a parody of women whereas Crossdressing is - by and large - emulation of women.

But what's a label or two between friends

Zoe
    pretty much the way I feel too, Zoe
    "it all unfolds before your eyes ,let Merlin cast his spell" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tina B. View Post
    The main thing to remember when it comes to Drag, VS Cross Dress, they both have to do with a man wearing a dress! So there different, but the same.
    Tina B.
    Especially when it comes to Drag Kings who are women performing in an OTT version of male garb
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 04-22-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: sp
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Come and talk with me ;) Briana90802's Avatar
    After reading so many of the posts on here about this being that and that being this, I was wondering if anyone realizes just how relative the terms are? People say things as if they are definitive and factual, when in actuality the terms crossdresser and drag queen are open to interpretation. One person's drag queen is another person's crossdresser. So how can people say RuPaul is a dq and tootsie was cd when clearly that's only one persons opinion.

So really, the only difference is how you define them.

Quote Originally Posted by Denise Rhodes View Post
    Simple really. If you get tips from watchers for being en femme dancing and/or performing it's considered "drag", if you don't get tips it's not.
    Oh I thought when I did that it was called pole dancing
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

For my two cents, crossdresing is a life syle and drag is OTT entertwinment

Drag has two popular meanings

1.) A form of entertainment. This art can come in many different forms, but most often require a stage, an audience, and music.

2.) A state of being crossdressed. If you say "I saw Steve in drag" people will assume that you saw him dressed as a woman.

Crossdressing is the physical act of wearing women's clothes. It can work with either of drag's definitions, but not necessarily definition 1.

To me, your question is kind of like asking, "What's the definition between cooking and frying?"

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Briana90802
    …the terms crossdresser and drag queen are open to interpretation. One person's drag queen is another person's crossdresser. So how can people say RuPaul is a dq and tootsie was cd when clearly that's only one persons opinion. So really, the only difference is how you define them.
    [SIZE="2"]True, but I think it’s safe to say that RuPaul is a “drag queen.” This may indicate a good example of a term that has been decided upon – see Ru as a crossdresser if you must, but there’s nothing restrained about his/her exaggerated appearance or performance. Tootsie is also a drag performance of an all-together different feather – can you at least recognize that there are different types of DRAG? The fact that the latter was “performed” in a fictitious climate (a movie), where obviously un-passable males somehow pass easily as passable females, and done (as usual) for comedic purposes, firmly places this example into the category of drag[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Violetgray
    To me, your question is kind of like asking, "What's the definition between cooking and frying?"
    [SIZE="2"]More like, “What’s the difference between whispering and screaming?” if you ask me… [/SIZE]

"Drag ya' for beers!" Marlon Brando and Lee Marvin, The Wild One (1953), one of my favorite single lines in all of moviedom, and I rival Tony DiNozzo as a film cultist.

I might not know the difference but to me crossdressing surely isn't a drag. I like the answer dressed as a girl great acronym. Billie Jean

I might not know the difference but to me crossdressing surely isn't a drag.
    LOL, that's it: If being in drag is a drag then you're not a crossdresser, you're a drag queen.
    Last edited by Taylor186; 04-25-2011 at 08:18 AM.

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    Strangely enough why is it that many women (ok let's limit this to GGs here) seem to like Drag and all its flamboyance, but not always accept crossdressing. Why is that?

On the topic of drag, I just found this fun film/documentary yesterday about the longest running drag club in the USA. It's titled "Queens of Hearts: Community Therapists in Drag" and can be viewed for free at Snag Films. It even has a sympathetic view of crossdressing starting at around 25 minutes. Total run time 49 minutes.

Here: http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/queens_of_heart/

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    Oh I thought when I did that it was called pole dancing
    So you've stopped doing the lapdances then?
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

The difference is crossdressers quibble endlessly over the definintions of drag queen, crossdresser, transvestite, etc. and drag queens don't.

Drag is more of a show,wild dress/makeup. Crossdressing is representing yourself as an average female,not so extravagent
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications. It is recommended that other members post a similar notice to this.
    I know some girls who have had pictures stolen , copied then used elswhere .
    This isn't a joke - this advice was passed onto me by a close legally trained friend .

fierce glamazon
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahMarie42 View Post
    Drag is a part of gay culture that deals primarily with subverting gender stereotypes
    no, genderf*ck suberts stereotypes

but drag is basically the monetization of gender stereotypes.

I'll echo what others have already said. My understanding is that "drag" is more parody while "crossdressing" is more persona, or, as I once put it when asked this question before..

Drag Queens are trying to stand out while crossdressers are trying to blend in.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -- Mark Twain

Josie on Google Plus

Josie's Flickr Photostream

Dual Spirits (My Blog)

Back when I was growing up (60's and 70's) the term being in drag simply referred to wearing female outfit a guy wore instead of guy clothes. It didn't refer to performers any more than anyone else. When you added the 'queen' to it, it referred to someone who was not so much 'over the top', but more 'on the top', having done everything to maximize the female presentation, corrected figure, perfect hair, perfect makeup, accessories, jewelry, etc., shaving all necessary parts, etc.. Gradually as female impersonators became more popular in entertainment, the term drag queen was used to refer to them rather than the average well made up CD'er on the street, and the meaning stuck.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.