Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why is crossdressing considered Funny by the media?

Violet if you base all of your opinions on media bias{and i'm not saying you do}, you will become a person with know opinions of your own, only a sheep that follows the masses. To many people in this country think that if they see it on t.v. or in the paper it must be true because after all they wouldn't lie to us. yea they would, if it promotes there particular agenda or bias.

Watch the movie Sorority Boys. They are portrayed in a comical sense but they soon get in touch with their feminine side. I whish I has some of the outfits they wore. Billie Jean

Quote Originally Posted by Billie Jean View Post
    Watch the movie Sorority Boys. They are portrayed in a comical sense but they soon get in touch with their feminine side. I whish I has some of the outfits they wore. Billie Jean
    I'd love it if used some "passable" actors. I also really enjoy the idea of a female acting a male role who crossdresses!

A lot of things become a basis for ridicule. A fat person, a short person, someone who has a big nose or ears, someone who is very skinny, and someone who comes from a different social class can become all used to "poke fun" at someone who differs. It is sad because it is those of us who have been the object of ridicule restrict ourselves from the general public and implode into our own little space. Usually the perpetrators take the point of difference to extreme and exploit it for their own amusement. It becomes a problem when someone (victim), an object of the ridicule takes it to heart and says enough is enough. The society has in itself created a wake up call, but over time the memory fades.
    I think some media have a lot to answer for by way of comments from supposedly trained journalist. I especially am appalled at comments relating to sports commentary.
    It comes as no surprise when the media reports on a crossdressing issue and soon after, some "two bob comic" explores it creating a monster out of some simple news story. This seemingly becomes an accepted norm for some time.
    Unfortunately so many of the public read and sees anything and take it as gospel truth. They are unable to delve into a story and explore its true meaning sifting out the erroneous garbage that flowers the truth for better sales at the newstands or TV ratings.
    It does make me wonder what some people were like as children and what elements determine their future decisions.

One wouldn't think that Hollywood the champion of liberal causes and beholder of diverse lifestyles and beliefs knocks CDs. There may be an upside to all this anyway. Everytime a CD portrayal is made on TV the general public becomes aware of and less sensitized to the practice. As unpleasant as the caricature maybe, it may eventually lead to acceptance in a similar manner as with unfair and ridiculous portrayals of gays lead to their acceptance. In the meantime, it represents a bitter pill and it is our choice to be angry over the show content or hopeful that it will ultimately result in vindication and acceptance.

Good point Kathie225.

Aspiring Member
    Plenty of misinformation around. And very little of the true information.

Quote Originally Posted by kathie225 View Post
    One wouldn't think that Hollywood the champion of liberal causes and beholder of diverse lifestyles and beliefs knocks CDs. There may be an upside to all this anyway. Everytime a CD portrayal is made on TV the general public becomes aware of and less sensitized to the practice. As unpleasant as the caricature maybe, it may eventually lead to acceptance in a similar manner as with unfair and ridiculous portrayals of gays lead to their acceptance. In the meantime, it represents a bitter pill and it is our choice to be angry over the show content or hopeful that it will ultimately result in vindication and acceptance.
    I don't necessarily agree with that logic. Negative propaganda (that's essentially what I've seen on TV) only serves to incite people against a group.

Scenes like this only serve to tell people "Men wearing dresses is funny!". Then his mother's remark at the end also implies crossdressing is some kind of mental disorder. Scenes like this one, if anything, are only detrimental to our acceptance.

None of this would bother you if you threw the damn TV away.

And lived your life like you had one.

Quote Originally Posted by 2SpeedTranny View Post
    None of this would bother you if you threw the damn TV away.

And lived your life like you had one.
    It's not about being personally insulted by it, it's about how public opinion is shaped by this stuff. It's part of the reason why there's even such a thing as being in the closet.

Quote Originally Posted by VioletJourney View Post
    It's not about being personally insulted by it, it's about how public opinion is shaped by this stuff. It's part of the reason why there's even such a thing as being in the closet.
    So you're going to worry about what the TV-watching zombie public thinks? Or will you live as your own man, on your own terms?

Your call, dude.

wait a second here your saying the media thinks i'm funny
    Good bye i'm at wacko taco .com now

Quote Originally Posted by crusadergirl View Post
    wait a second here your saying the media thinks i'm funny
    That same mass media also thinks there's nothing wrong with a president who hides every possible record of his past from the public.

Me, I think that's a media that I don't give a hoot what it thinks.

And neither should anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by divamissz View Post
    Because the general public finds a man in a dress funny. Especially if they look bad in it.
    I think this is the key; and because, compared to beautiful girls, we all pretty much 'look bad in it'. Don't forget, people also laugh at GG's who look bad in their outfits; consider the obese women wearing thongs, or any GG with a 'muffin top' wearing a midriff bearing outfit, for some examples.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

because the media only goes out for the cheep laugh, not even trying to work at being funny or trying to do a real script. look at all the cheep remakes of great and poor movies.
    they tend (on the tube) to aim for the lowest they can.

Quote Originally Posted by 2SpeedTranny View Post
    That same mass media also thinks there's nothing wrong with a president who hides every possible record of his past from the public.
    Assuming you mean our current President, then by "hides" you obviously mean putting the info out for all to see.

"As unpleasant as the caricature maybe, it may eventually lead to acceptance in a similar manner as with unfair and ridiculous portrayals of gays lead to their acceptance."
    ridiculous portrayals didn't lead to that, it was gay people being out & proud, living full lives in public view, not hiding that lead to it. Just as can happen for us when more people join those of us going out into the real world. Nothing is as sweet as the fresh air of freedom.
    Last edited by Fab Karen; 04-27-2011 at 08:08 PM.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

I went through 2 pages of comments and nobody mentioned this so I thought I'd post.
    Often in situation comedies (or other shows) the audience knows the character is cross dressed. So the humor element is that the other characters in the show don't realize that (which makes the audience satisfied and feeling superior to the media characters involved). Behind it also is the implied sexuality of male to female. I mean a man who is attracted to who he thinks is a woman and then finds out it's a man transfers his shock to the audience in a way that is humorous; that's when the impersonation is more successful. These two elements often work together.
    Last edited by Elena Ornamental; 05-18-2011 at 02:33 AM.

I'm not passable and I go out in public.Billie Jean

LOL I love Trailer Park Boys. As a CD, I thought that recurring gag about the drunk male prostitutes was hilarious, and the scene from the movie was just over the top! I do understand exactly what you mean though, the perception of the CD always being the weirdo or perv is the definite norm. Even in Community, the Dean's crossdressing is a point of contention but at the same time at least he is brave enough to express himself!

David Duchovney played a crossdressing FBI agent in Twin Peaks. He did an awesome job in the role and was definitely one of the most supportive portrayals I have ever seen in TV or movies.