Thread: Should I beware of craigslist?

Should I beware of craigslist?

Some guy has been messaging me to hang on craiglist and I have to admit the idea of being taken out as a female (protected by a man) sounds nice. What should I watch out for?

What should you watch out for? Everything. Craigslist, much like the adult areas of Yahoo, is a goddamn cesspool of fakers, flakes, and dangerous shysters. Get to know as much as possible about this guy, and if you insist on meeting him meet in a very public place like a coffee house or restaurant or something for the first few times. Also, don't go home with him the first few times, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Molly View Post
    What should you watch out for? Everything. Craigslist, much like the adult areas of Yahoo, is a goddamn cesspool of fakers, flakes, and dangerous shysters. Get to know as much as possible about this guy, and if you insist on meeting him meet in a very public place like a coffee house or restaurant or something for the first few times. Also, don't go home with him the first few times, either.
    I agree one hundred percent. I thought the FCC made Craigslist take down the adult services link after those women were attacked by the so called "Craigslist Killer".

What to worry about? Um, violent misogynists, abusers with skewed perspectives of reality looking for an adventure, deadbeats, philandering married men and guys who amazingly do not look at all like their 20 year old photo they sent you.

But occasionally you find a gem. I had a very nice relationship with a wonderful person I met on Craigslist that lasted several months and only ended when my job transferred me.

Follow Molly's advice, be smart and stay safe. Who knows, maybe you'll find somebody really nice!
    Last edited by Michelle.M; 05-04-2011 at 07:32 PM.
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

Cool, so far he's wanted to stay public. I cant even believe I'm considering doing this? Haha. I really do want acceptance.

Just be carefull trust you instincts!

NEVER,NEVER, NEVER,trust craigslist for that. It is a bad site for any kind of dating...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Molly View Post
    That, and don't give out personal info. including where you work unless you've known him quite awhile know alot about him & can tell he's sincere & trustworthy.

On a tangent, you can ask this site to change your name.
    Last edited by Fab Karen; 05-04-2011 at 07:46 PM.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Quote Originally Posted by Fab Karen View Post
    That, and don't give out personal info. including where you work unless you've known him quite awhile know alot about him & can tell he's sincere & trustworthy.
    Also excellent advice. Now, having said what I said, I've used Craigslist before and have found some very nice local CDs that I chat with on Yahoo. Sometimes it works, but you have to be careful. And as far as acceptance goes, for what it's worth I accept you, and if you live in or around Detroit we should totally hang out.

Platinum Member
    Run don't walk as fast as you can away from Craigs List.

Orchid

My rule with Craigslist was always "look but don't touch." Way too high of a chance things could go terribly wrong.

Ok thanks everyone lets just close this thread.

I met my SO off Craigslist. We've been together for 6 years now. Nothing bad happened because of it. We met at a coffee shop the first time (public place).
    Define "normal"

CL aside, are there any reputable dating/meeting sites for us CDs who want to find a guy to play with once in a while?

I agree with all. This guy could be anything. Maybe he is being honest but he could be a nut and out to hurt or harm you. Play it safe. Good relationships take a long time to develop especially in trust. take the time. Cindy.

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaDC View Post
    CL aside, are there any reputable dating/meeting sites for us CDs who want to find a guy to play with once in a while?
    I don't know about sites, Google it. But anytime you are looking for a guy to "play with" you better have all threat sensors tuned to Max sensitivity. Protect your privacy like your life depends on it because it does. The net is full of scumbags looking to take advantage of people.

Not only meet at a public place, don't give your phone number, don't let them see what you drive and hide your name on credit cards if you pay. Conversely, get as much on them as you can.

This is serious business, Craigslist or any site, it doesn't matter.

I have a little different take on the subject. I have used craigs list all around the country to meet people while I travel. I think it is great. Sure, i run into a few flakes now and then but i have met some very wonderful people - cd and other. I usually am at a hotel so they do not get any personal info and occasionally we meet in a public place. Naturally you do not trust anyone you do not know well ( and sometimes those you do ) with personal info but that is common sense.

You want to meet people, I think it is a great way for a CD. Do you kiss a lot of frogs to meet a few prince's ?- sure but that is life. One of my best CD friends met me on CL. By the way, I have met more than a hundred people and never once had a 'scary" moment.

What to watch for? I found the people who are too persistent are often the flakes - ie they don't show up. Meet in a neutral place if you are in your home city or you don't feel comfortable. There are a lot of places to meet where you can talk a while. I like coffee houses so I meet there a lot. If it is another CD, meet in drab for a beer.
    Last edited by Kate17; 05-09-2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: More info