Thread: Flying Pretty - Advice from A Women's Travel Network

Flying Pretty - Advice from A Women's Travel Network

I came across this women's travel website, Wanderlust and Lipstick and found their travel advice for women to include some things we might want to consider when we "fly pretty."

Here are some excerpts from their page:

Grab the Purse

I want to go back to the fact that the aircraft is essentially a public area. For some reason, most of us let our guard down when the aircraft door shuts. There is no reason to become paranoid, but keep in mind that you are traveling with the general public. Don’t leave valuable items unattended or in clear view of other passengers.

Don’t leave your purse at your seat while visiting the restroom (I can’t tell you how many times I see this happen). It is too much of a temptation for some. Although not a common occurrence, there are reports of missing wallets and money reported from time to time. My former assistant had money stolen from her purse on a flight (she suspected her seat mate). She didn’t discover it until she went to grab cash for a taxi.

It was too late to do anything about it and she was relieved that her entire wallet wasn’t stolen.

Dress Yourself

Wear a dress or skirt on your flight. There is not a delicate way to say this. Airplane bathrooms are in effect public restrooms. Most are clean, some are not. You will encounter bathrooms with leaky toilets and wet/dirty floors. Do you see where I am going with this? There is nothing worse than the bottom of your pant legs getting wet from the mystery liquids on the bathroom floor. Wearing a dress, skirt or even Capri pants will allow you to deal with this issue in style. I understand that jean or pants are often selected because of comfort and warmth. But a comfortable dress/skirt with a pair of tights or leggings will solve the problem. This tip also applies to navigating airport bathrooms.

From Wanderlust and Lipstick Travel Tips for Women.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Just the girl next door. Michelle_Tokyo's Avatar
    Good points. I remind myself to grab my purse by making sure a few basic make-up touch up items are there. Given the presence of a mirror the make-up is coming with, so the purse does too. Very good point especially on long flights. I just got back yesterday from Los Angeles to Tokyo and had done Tokyo to Chicago the week before.

Also dresses, great call. I wore rolled up skinny jeans on the way over and yesterday a tunic dress and leggings. Soooooo much easier on the way back. Nails and zippers do not do well in the same room. :- )

Flying Pretty is the only way I travel anymore and these tips raised by the OP, very worth listening to indeed.

Hugs one and all,

M.