Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which gender do you find yourself identifying with in novels, films and television?

Which gender do you find yourself identifying with in novels, films and television?

Hi everyone,

Whilst most of us read or watch films and television largely for entertainment purposes it could be argued that to some degree that entertainment stems from the fact that we identify with the characters and see them as being true to a reality we recognise.

With this in mind, when watching television or films or reading a novel do you find yourself being drawn to particular characters and character traits, and if so which gender do you find yourself identifying with most?

I'm interested to hear all your thoughts on this and any particular examples of characters you are drawn to are more than welcome.

Peace.
    x

Female. I especially imagine myself in what she's wearing lol

For whatever reason I usually find myself most often attracted to the female characters.

Back in middle school I read The Rose of the Prophet Trilogy by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman. Overall story centered on characters similar to what could be stereotyped as the wars in the Middle East during prehistoric and early historic times as multiple tribes following different gods coexisted in a desert landscape. One character, Matthew, was from a Medieval European setting on a voyage similar to the Christianizing efforts of the 1700 and 1800s. Religion and politics aside, he had long flowing hair and wore robes plus a youthful boy's facial structure. This caused the group of nomadic marauders who wiped out his group to spare him, thinking he was a female. And in the story he chose to live as a woman (rather than die as a man) which made his owners - he was sold into slavery - think was was crazy. I enjoyed following his adventures and that of the lead female protagonist much more than I did the male leads in the book.

Likewise, I rather read about Ayla from The Clan of the Cave Bear than her mate Jondalar. (Well, in the earlier books. I refuse to read the last two books in that series due to poor craftsmanship.)

I just finished two books by Tim Akers, The Horns of Ruin and The Heart of Veridon. Horns had a female protagonist and Heart had a male. Not sure if it was the story line or the characters but I much preferred Eva Forge in the Horns.

Yet, I love Drizzt Do-Urden (a male lead) in the Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore.

So, I guess it depends - I prefer an action centered character overcoming great odds and going through self discovery.

'Fraid I don't watch enough television or movies to be able to discuss those.

Back in the old days when I read a lot of books, I always connected with the female parts, science fiction, westerns, murder mysteries (which often was not a good thing to be the femme fatale in. I guess I had to read the whole book to find out who murdered me) and yes even erotica (especially the GOR novels). I did read Playboy for the articles and to imagine being the centerfold. I still watch old movies to see and imagine the women of that era. But now not so much. The blurred line on most shows now make male/female fairly interchangeable
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

For the most part I identify with the female roles. I sometimes live vicariously through what the women are wearing and through the emotions they are revealing

Usually the hero or heroine who is action/adventure oriented.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Senior Member joannemarie barker's Avatar
    definitely the female in rom coms I wanna be that girl the guy gets in the end

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cait
    With this in mind, when watching television or films or reading a novel do you find yourself being drawn to particular characters and character traits, and if so which gender do you find yourself identifying with most?
    [SIZE="2"]I’m attracted to gentleness or tenderness, regardless of which gender is expressing it. This gentle nature may be part of an entire persona that exudes silent strength, or a positive, caring outlook. The person never argues, does not impose his or her will on others, and he or she is attentive, intelligent, and loving. I remember watching the film The Secret Garden (the recent one), and I expected to automatically like the girl character. However, the boys in the film impressed me more with their display of gentleness, transcending boyishness in the process and forging some kind of gender-unspecific personality that I long for…

Another good example of this is the young angel in The Last Temptation of Christ. A young girl plays the role, but she seems more like a fusion of the genders – she speaks softly, and her words carry weight, since she (as an angel) is imbued with otherworldly wisdom, comportment, and compassion. These types of characters inspire me, so I’ll sit through an entire film just to catch a glimpse of them. Of course, it’s a performance, but what experience does the actor draw upon for such a moving display of human pathos?
    [/SIZE]

I never thought of this till you asked the question Cait.
    Having thought about it I have realised that it is the women. I get really involved and worked up when a woman is being misunderstood, unappreciated, or not treated with the respect she deserves.
    I think I might be a nicer person than I give myself credit for!

SUZY
    Last edited by suzy1; 05-05-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Not your typical girl Lissa Stevens's Avatar
    More and more I identify with the female roles. I read a lot and I find myself reading more and more books by females authors with female lead characters. I like less action movies and books, now I prefer more Lifetime type entertainment.
    [SIZE="2"]Melissa[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]I'm still standin'
    Better than I ever did
    Lookin' like a true survivor
    Feeling like a little kid
    [/SIZE]

I get more out of the female roles
    Michelle

Usually I couldn't give a t*ss about the male characters, but with the female characters that is a different matter.

Anna x

Guess I'll be the spanner in the works here. I rarely identify with a female character. Mostly because the current crop of actresses are so poor as to render their charector meaningless. There are of course exceptions but for the most part it's true. At least for me.

As to other character on other media. I have no preference. It's all about the story and not the charector for me. Male lead role indentify. Female lead role identify with that charector.
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

The woman inside me Kathryn Philips's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna B View Post
    Usually I couldn't give a t*** about the male characters, but with the female characters that is a different matter.

Anna x
    Its funny, Anna and I were discussing this in a private conversation. Definitely the female characters.
    xxx
    Kathryn

Waiting for my upgrade to Female

I always tune in to Breakfast TV just to see what the female presenters are wearing...(warped or what?)

Anna x

Just to throw another media outlet into the discussion - video games.

I've really enjoyed the Final Fantasy games that had good strong female characters as well as the female characters in other RPGs. Action games don't depend on the characterization so much (think Lara Croft). I seem to select the females in the fighting games such as Street Fighter and Marvel vs. Capcom. This has always been the case - even before I recognized the CD aspect of my life.

I'm actually going through and pulling characters now and pulling images for the ones I like based on the artwork. Some of the costuming is really exceptional. So I guess it doesn't hurt that I prefer the costuming of the female characters to the male characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Fractured View Post
    Just to throw another media outlet into the discussion - video games.

I've really enjoyed the Final Fantasy games that had good strong female characters as well as the female characters in other RPGs. Action games don't depend on the characterization so much (think Lara Croft). I seem to select the females in the fighting games such as Street Fighter and Marvel vs. Capcom. This has always been the case - even before I recognized the CD aspect of my life.
    Agree'd. I mean, bet you could guess what helped me in picking my name! I've been the -exact- same way regarding female characters in pretty much every game I've played, playing the males only to unlock more features then switching right back when able! Wish my xbox didn't break, I want to play DoA Beach Volleyball so bad right now.

Film and TV are actually a bit different for me... It would really depend on the character. There are many female characters I just wish I could be myself... like anything Amanda Tapping does... ... but there are quite a few male ones I do wish I could be as well. Thinking hard about it, female does outweigh male for me in this category.

As far as pure physical atraction goes, as compared to overall character, it is pretty 50/50 for me.
    With love,
    - Celes

Most of the time i just run with the film more than a character (think i was the shark in jaws) but occasionally there is one i connect with like Jennifer Hewitt in Ghost whisperer as i love the clothes she wears or Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean and there is a couple of scenes in Mamma Mia when they are dancing and i would have loved to be dressed like them and dance , made me feel real envious.
    Mine you i also want to be the characters in things like Red Cliff so it is not just all girlie
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Both. I can identify with any strong, admirable character, male or female.

I dress to feel pretty Tina P Hose's Avatar
    I find myself 60% female, 40% male. In that thought.
    From Madrid to Montreal that underneath it all that Tina prefers pantyhose

I see myself as female bout 80% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 2B Natasha View Post
    Guess I'll be the spanner in the works here. I rarely identify with a female character.

I'll be a monkey wrench too then.

My interest in female characters is either 1) want what she's wearing, or 2) want to see her naked. Or sometimes both.

As for identifying with characters... Charlie in "Two and a Half Men" would be a good example.

And since most of the trannies I've met IRL (about 30 now) think this way, I'd have to suggest that a lot of replies in this thread are outright lies, wishful thinking, or cracked brain stem.

sometimes both I am trans

I read a lot of books. Mostly whodunit books, and I always identify with the strong yet feminine character who always manages to come out on top.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]Life is what happens while you're making other plans

The simple answer is that I always see the other side... but sometimes the other side isn't the female version... I tend to see all sides, but sadly not all at the same time?
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings