Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer and leg shaving, wondering what to do

I keep my legs shaved year round and am out in the public, in shorts a lot. None of my usual friends know I dress and they have never said a thing about my shaved legs or arms. It is not that uncommon these days.

I always had the same fear. About 3 years ago when summer came in, I let a little hair grow back. I ket trimming it and kept the hair short and never got any remarks. By the time the summer was over I was shaving smooth about once a week and now I shave smooth year round. I don't know if its because I gradually eased into it, or my legs were not that hairy to begin with, but I have never had any comments on my shaved legs. Or arms for that matter, as I keep everything shaved smooth year round now.

I've shaved my legs all through the winter and now prefer having smooth legs. Now the weather is warming up I don't want to go back but nervous going out in shorts, also shaving my arms has stopped me wearing t-shirts. Any advice?

Holly

Mine have been shaved for over 6 years (along with my arms, back, chest and underarms) and I have not had one comment from friends or co-workers about it in all that time. Most people will not say anything as they fear it's too personal.
    Actually, one lady at work with whom I am friends did make a comment. We were outside talking with another lady and she reached over and rubbed my leg saying "mmm smoooth". To which I replied, "You're lucky, I just shaved them this morning". Not another word was ever said.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Thanks Cheryl, I've been rolling my sleeves up gradually, you notice the odd look, the weather is starting to warm up in england and I can't wear jumpers all the time. It's not easy, is it?

Holly

the happy camper
    Quote Originally Posted by ReginaWelch View Post
    Anyone else have this issue? How do you deal with it?
    You'll find that few people will notice, and even fewer will mention it. For the rare ones that do, the best explanation I have found is: "I like them that way." It doesn't require any further explanation, and it's not a lie so it won't lead you into more covering lies. I mean, if you tell people you've taken up Olympic swimming, they're going to eventually expect to see you competing. The fact that you like having your legs shaved may cause some people to think to themselves, "Oh. That's weird." Unless you just have very rude friends, though, they won't say it out loud.

I predict that by next winter when you have to wear long pants again, your perspective will have completely changed. You'll be thinking to yourself, like the "real girls" do: "What's the point of shaving them, if no one's going to see?"

I've been going to yoga classes for the last year. I'm the only non gg in the class. It's great and makes me feel fo feminine. I do have a lot of hair though and am a little worried about shaving again as I'm sure it'd be noticed.

Can anyone advise if they've been in a similar situation and how they dealt with it?

Thanks

J

within 24 hrs of shaving get out the epalter and keep the fuzz off your legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie S View Post
    I've been going to yoga classes for the last year. I'm the only non gg in the class. It's great and makes me feel fo feminine. I do have a lot of hair though and am a little worried about shaving again as I'm sure it'd be noticed.

Can anyone advise if they've been in a similar situation and how they dealt with it?

Thanks

J
    Yes, just shave it all off. I have been going to a yoga class for the past several years and my legs are always shaved and my toenails are always professionally pedicured and either bright red or hot pink. The class is all women and I am treated just like one of the girls. It is not a big deal. Even the instructor complimented me on my toenail polish.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

One thing that worrying about this does is make one more aware of those around themselves. I've been observing closely for quite a while and find that quite a few males have hairless arms and legs for whatever reason. Nobody notices.

Quote Originally Posted by Chun-Li View Post
    ...just don't wear shorts. A lot of people don't wear shorts. If you shave your head that will keep you cooler than shorts ever could.
    I'm thinking Chun-Li has a good point here. If you don't want your hairless legs noticed then shave your head the day you begin wearing shorts. I can almost guarantee no one will notice your legs.

Seriously though, I shave my legs year round and no one has said anything. Shorts today aren't what they used to be. They're not really short.

the happy camper
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor186 View Post
    I'm thinking Chun-Li has a good point here. If you don't want your hairless legs noticed then shave your head the day you begin wearing shorts. I can almost guarantee no one will notice your legs.
    LOL!! Good idea. Unfortunately, I've waited almost two years to do the shaved head thing, so now I'm just compounding the weirdness.

Seriously though, I shave my legs year round and no one has said anything. Shorts today aren't what they used to be. They're not really short.
    Which really sucks for those of us with short legs.

I wonder if I can single-handedly bring back the cut-off jeans look for men.

There is nothing to explain. You shave your legs. If asked - it is a simple so what I shave my legs. Got a problem with that?
    Michelle

IF anyone asks, just say: Because I like it.

In this day & age, some people STILL talk of a "healthy tan"- there's nothing healthy about skin cancer. & btw, why work to prematurely age yourself?
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Michigan, SE and Michigan Upper Lower Penn./ just under the bridge like a troll
    I shaved my legs and chest all last summer, it was great ! Getting ready to do it again in a couple of days after the doctor apointments ( it is hard to wait ) . Nobody said a word to me about it. I never had to use the excuse but the one I had ready was that I sweat alot outdoors and it keeps the odor down. Alot of the older guys where I use to work shaved just for that reason.

I dislike cold weather, but as my agreement with my gf i wil not shave during the warm summer months so i can't wait for winter

the happy camper
    Quote Originally Posted by Loveday View Post
    Getting ready to do it again in a couple of days after the doctor apointments ( it is hard to wait ) .
    I have regular skin exams at the dermatologist due to past issues with skin cancer, including melanoma. He's never said a word to me about the disappearing hair. They're professionals, and know how to keep their opinions to themselves.

(Anyway, I kinda think the lack of hair makes it easier for him to find any growths while they're small. Shaving certainly makes me focus more on what's happening with my skin. In fact, when I detected the melanoma on my neck, it was precisely because that spot hurt while shaving. So there you are: shaving your body could save your life.)

Michigan, SE and Michigan Upper Lower Penn./ just under the bridge like a troll
    Hi Sophie
    I agree that the lack of hair makes it easier for a doctor to examine my skin. I have basil cell cancer myself. I recently shaved an area of my chest so the doctors can get a better look at a large mole that is changing size and color.
    To explain, In the past I had a doctor once give me a bunch of BS because I fried the hair off my arms and hands when a car I was restoring back fired. I also had a hospital tech that was prepping me for surgery jaw drop to the floor when he found that I was shaved in the groin area even though the hospital was the ones who shaved me just a week berfore for a like-kind surgery. For me right now I personally I just do not feel like dealing with these other peoples feelings. I just want to be done with the doctors for the summer and then I can be myself.

I had LHR on my legs almost 10 years ago. No one bats an eye.

Why do you shave the hair off you legs?
    Some Reply options...

Probably for the same reasons you are wearing that Halloween mask.

It is one of the side effects of my chemotherapy treatments, why do you ask?

I am a swimmer.

I am a bicyclist. It always seems to look weird to people who obviously don’t exercise.

I practice martial arts and it helps me kick higher. Stick out you chin and I will show you.

For some reason, gay guys always seem to notice that. Why is that?

You are the sixth gay guy that has noticed my legs today.

I am a tennis player and it helps keep my body cool during my matches.

It is one of the conditions that occurs with Diabetes.

We are doing some research to see if males are attracted to males with shaved legs. You are the first male that has confirmed your attraction to guys with shaved legs.

If you are trying to hit on me, I am not attracted to men in the way that you seem to be.

I fish a lot and it makes it easier to remove leeches.

Best I can come up with on the spot.

Ok, here is my real story. Thanks to my Danish heritage, my hair was white as a kid which gradually darkened to lighter brown as an adult. I had hair on my legs and arms which was always light colored enough to not appear hairy. No back or chest hair. My hair is all very “fine”, so I never looked “hairy”. My skin tans easily and I typically look tan year round. I have a high metabolism. I was always hot when everybody else was cold. I perspired a lot from my head and arms especially during tennis matches. But for some reason, I have never had any body odor at all.

So one night in my hotel room I get the urge to just "go for it" and I shaved my legs. The feeling was awesome, but so was my initial paranoia of revealing my legs in public. I got some comments from my friends and a few cat calls from teen girls passing me in cars while I was riding my bike. About two weeks later I did not worry at all, wearing shorts wherever I went.

But here is the startling realization that I made during that initial two week period. A lifetime of trying to stay cool when everybody else was just fine came to an abrupt halt! It was like a miracle for me. I guess removing my leg hair removed the insulating effect it had on my body. I still cannot believe what a change it made in my life of trying to constantly deal with being "hot" all the time.

I quickly progressed into shaving my entire body (except head) which I am still doing 15 years later. I could not imagine ever letting my hair grow back.

So there is a real and legitimate explanation for shaved legs if you are looking for one. I love having a shaved body and have never heard a comment from str in over 14 years.

Basically...nobody really cares anyway. Go for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Go ahead and keep them shaved. I have for a few years and no-one has ever said anything. My kids asked once if I shaved my legs. I told them yes, Mom doesn't like the hair against her legs in bed. It is true, I made a comment once that my leg hair was always itchy, and she said it itched her in bed as well, why don't you shave it. She didn't have to tell me twice, and have not had hair since. After I did it I seemed to pay attention when out, and I noticed a lot of smooth male legs. There are either an awful lot of out there or it is just not that unusual.

Banned Read only
    My advice is to take up biking (I am a huge biking advocate). While no one really knows why bikers shave (easier to keep clean in the event of a crash, keeps bugs off, easier to apply sun screen) everyone knows that bikers SO shave their legs. No explanations necessary. In fact you can add that as a reminder that you "have to get in shape", you shaved. No one will question it. Good luck

I have been shaving my legs for a year now. I too was worried if anyone would notice. My wife did the first time because i cut them up pretty bad. I get a massage about once a month, I thought for sure my massage therapist would notice because i have been going to her for a couple of years. Since i was a runner she would work my legs mostly. If she noticed she never said a word and she is not one to be shy speaking her mind. I also go to the gym and recently have had 2 female physical trainers and neither one ever commented.

My legs have been clean shaven for years now and I wear shorts in the summer. Never once has anyone commented. If you are the atheletic type, even just a little bit, and you either swim or bike, if you are asked on that very rare occasion, just say that you bike or swim and that wearing biker pants is very uncomfortable with hairy legs.

I suspect almost no one comments because more and more people do bike or swim and shaven legs are common.

Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    My legs have been clean shaven for years now and I wear shorts in the summer. Never once has anyone commented. If you are the atheletic type, even just a little bit, and you either swim or bike, if you are asked on that very rare occasion, just say that you bike or swim and that wearing biker pants is very uncomfortable with hairy legs.

I suspect almost no one comments because more and more people do bike or swim and shaven legs are common.
    There is no reason to make up any excuses. Why do we insist on telling these lies??? Why don't we just say "I shave my legs because I like them that way". That is really all that there is too it and it is nobody's business! Don't give other people that much power - it is your body and you can do with it as you please.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.