Thread: Are you a "Bromosexual" ?

Are you a "Bromosexual" ?

Ok, I admit it. I read medical/legal text books and dictionaries for fun. I can't help it, I am just curious...about everything. (and oddly enough I retain most of it).

So, I am surfing this section of Merriam Webster site with a list of "user submitted" words and current "slangish" words that are not yet included in the dictionary.

Bromosexual- A heterosexual man who has a close relationship with another man. (just what we need...another "term" or "category", eh?

Sounds like it has potential use in some of those "defensive" discussions here on the forum... on the topic of a CD having a relationship with another CD.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Platinum Member
    interesting concept - kinda like a buddy movie type relationship,right? I haven't had that type of relationship for a long time, except with a guy that I was intimately involved with once upon a time.

Inter CD relations, would that then be Tranosexual?
    - AF

Look girl, act girl, feel girl ... be girl.

Do you happen to have a derivation for the word, Eluuzion?

It could come from Bromide, "A bromide is a chemical compound containing bromide ion, that is bromine atom with effective charge of −1," hence a relationship that is missing only one thing.

Or it could come from the linguistic use of the word Bromide, "A bromide is a figure of speech may be used to describe a stock phrase that – having been employed wantonly or repeated excessively – suggests insincerity," suggesting that a tight male bond without sexual activity is "insincere."

Personally, I suspect it is related to Bromo-Seltzer, a medication that relieves gas.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    Last edited by Nigella; 05-07-2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Link is not suitable for this forum
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

LOL! Well I so love words, and yet I so hate labels, but let's take a step back from "Bromosexual" and decide what it's meaning to convey.

Firstly I think you have to take the 'sexual' part right out, this term is describing a close and emotional relationship, but one that is strictly platonic. Similar to the term "Metro-sexual", which has nothing at all to do with sexual conduct, nor even ones gender identity.

I count myself lucky enough to have a few of these type of "Bromosexual" friends who are CD or TG, and one that is a 'straight' cisgendered guy, whom I've know and loved for over 35 years. Nothing even remotely sexual has ever occurred between myself and these people, but there is still a close and meaningful bond that goes way beyond what might be considered the emotional boundaries of a regular friendship. Like the ties of family, these types of connections are built on an endearing spiritual love for one another, and not upon physical intimacy of any sort.

As for CD/TGs who are romantically involved with other CD/TGs (as I have been in the past, and most likely will be again), I prefer the term "Transbian", which is starting to come into vogue recently.
    [SIZE="3"]The Universe Is Love, Enjoy Your Time In It!!![/SIZE][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned Read only
    Think JD and Turk in Scrubs, they had a bromance in a brotherly best friend non sexual way. If it gets sexual then it's gone further than a bromance.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteCD View Post
    Think JD and Turk in Scrubs, they had a bromance in a brotherly best friend non sexual way. If it gets sexual then it's gone further than a bromance.
    Didn't they do a song about it in their "musical" episode? Something about "Guy Love"? They did have an interesting relationship...

I always thought the term Bromance came from a shortening of Brotherly Romance (purely my own speculation) or from the word Bro, as used between two men--friendlier than "dude", but similar as a term of endearment. But I could be completely wrong.

Yea I think it's that straight forward, bromance as oppose to a fully homosexual relationship, I have 1 of these, I'm bisexual but this guy is as straight as they come!

Gold Member
    Are you a "Bromosexual" ?
    That sounds like getting a Bromo-seltzer, a long time ago cold reliever. LOL
    Rader

Quote Originally Posted by Mahoro View Post
    but one that is strictly platonic. .
    Well that leaves out Ryan Seacrest & Simon.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Yea, sure, why not?

Maybe some acronyms are in order?

the happy camper
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi View Post
    Didn't they do a song about it in their "musical" episode? Something about "Guy Love"? They did have an interesting relationship...

I always thought the term Bromance came from a shortening of Brotherly Romance (purely my own speculation) or from the word Bro, as used between two men--friendlier than "dude", but similar as a term of endearment. But I could be completely wrong.
    I think you're right. See also: "man-crush". The urban dictionary defines it as: "When a straight man has a "crush" on another man, not sexual but kind of idolizing him." Unfortunately, they give the game away with their example: "Many straight men end up having man crushes on Johnny Depp." I'm sorry, but a crush on Johnny Depp cannot possibly be non-sexual. Clint Eastwood, sure, but not Johnny Depp.

Just finished a gender studies class where the professor was in love with the word "homosocial." Meaning all guy or all girl social activities (no sexual activity implied what-so-ever.)

Ever since I learned this term, I've wanted to ask Bubba, drinking at the bar with his buddies, if he knew he was engaging in a homosocial activity.

But, I value my life more than that. It even has it's own wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosociality

Bromosexual... A heterosexual man who has a close relationship with another man.... in my opinion it doesnt' make sense to me because if are adding the sex part, is then Homosexual...I can relate because I am Homosexual

The Belle from Hell! Wrenchette's Avatar
    I'll try almost any thing once. Twice if it tastes good!
    Redheaded woman in a dirty Corvette.

As long as we're talking labels... What if the only person you want to spend time with is your spouse?

I guess that's called whipped!

Living Dead Girl Schatten Lupus's Avatar
    I've just always considered them my close friends. Some people have thought me and one of my friends were lovers, but we never were.
    But for this bromosexual, or bromance as I have heard, I see no reason to imply any sort of sexual or romantic relationship.
    I also find it odd how yet again society makes special words for male-only situations in which no one really even cares or notices if a woman is doing it.
    Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe P. View Post
    As long as we're talking labels... What if the only person you want to spend time with is your spouse?

I guess that's called whipped!
    That is a "no-brainer" (not your spouse...the question, lol).

The answer is easily found by employing the same sound principles of pretzel logic used by the person who invented the term bromosexual.

You would be a spousosexual.

There is no scientific or derivative trail of breadcrumbs to follow on this one. I just stumbled upon it on the merriam-webster site. It was on a list of "user submitted" words. You can check out the page it is listed on and make your own assessment. Don't expect any clues...the only thing posted was the word and the person's name posting it

http://nws.merriam-webster.com/opend...nt.php?last=30

I think it is safe to assume it is a good example of a

"neologism"... A new word created by the patient, which is often a blend of other words. Seen in schizophrenia.

The more I think about it, the more I think I might think like this guy thinks. What do you think.. .hehehe

And here you were thinking this post would make sense when you read it.
    Remember, one of the great features of the internet is that there is no rule that requires everything you post to make sense. I just consider it as a good place to practice for dealing with the real world.

Actually, I think the word is derived from the earliest formula for Bromo-Shave, which was a crude mixture of potassium bromide and Neolithic hoof paste that pre-Cambrian women used as a shaving lotion to scape their underarm hair off with an arrow head flint shaver.

I might be wrong...

Last edited by eluuzion; 05-08-2011 at 03:15 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

it has to be "bro" = brother.