Thread: Changing you male name

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Come and talk with me ;) Briana90802's Avatar

Changing you male name

Straight to the point, do you, or have you, ever wanted to change you male name to something more gender neutral? And what would it be? Growing up I loved the names Leslie and Stacy for a boy. both are gender neutral and yet have become associated with girls.

The thought crossed my mind on a few occassions but I am named after my father so it would have caused serious waves. I chose Danielle because that is what my mother would have named me if I had been born a girl.
    I'M FREE, I'M FREE! I GET TO BE ME!

I have never really thought about changing my name. I could certainly understand why someone would but it never really been a consideration for me.
    New facebook page feel free to add me as a friend. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003349942987

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    I've gone back and forth on this. I have spent periods of time searching through name information trying to find one that I like and that suits me.

There aren't any female derivations of my name, so if for example I call for a taxi when I am Dressed, unless I give a completely different name than my legal name, the driver is going to automatically be looking for a male and so is going to interpret me as male in any aspect for which I might be borderline or ambiguous gender.

It isn't that I am trying to "hide" that I am transgender, but with my male-only name, people's attention gets focused on the male side of me.

I've been considering maybe changing my name to Sandy, as that is used by both males and females, but then I get to thinking that if I'm going to go through the trouble of changing it I might as well go right to Sandra and then let people call me Sandy if they prefer. Well, except for (A) my mother; and (B) that Sandy might be better for job purposes. Somehow "Sandy" instead of "Sandra" seems like "cheating" for who I am.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    Simply, no. I want my gendered selves as separate as possible.

Hi i agree with your desire to keep your gendered self separete from your male identity name . My reason for doing the same thing was because i was asked the reason why i was still using a male name in my profile . This came from one of the people who read my introduction to this site so i immediatly changed it to my female name and was congratulated for my choice .Ifelt a lot better having taken this step and have never looked back. davina x
    davina

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Briana90802 View Post
    Straight to the point, do you, or have you, ever wanted to change you male name to something more gender neutral?
    Sorry, no. I have finally given up the fight against who I am, why would I want to start another skirmish by adopting a name that hides my true gender?

I appreciate that this will not be the same for everybody.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

I have never really thought about changing my male name to something gender neutral legally. For me it would probably too much of a hassle to do it in the long run.