Thread: Exploration and the Crossdressing Mind

Exploration and the Crossdressing Mind

Exploration is really the essence of the human spirit.” – Frank Borman

Humanity is comprised of many traits and characteristics. Many of these traits and characteristics we share are beneficial, whereas some are less desirable, or even malevolent. Born out of curiosity and a need to learn, however, is a critical trait we all share – exploration. If nothing else, humanity is a race of explorers. In this regard, history is replete with stories and tales of famous explorers. Christopher Columbus, Marco Polo, Ferdinand Magellan, Lewis and Clark, Henry Stanley and Dr. David Livingstone come to mind, to name a few. These explorers were made famous by their respective travels. They explored the unknown world. They were brave, courageous, and curious! They had an insatiable appetite for discovery. That they were explorers has and will continue to be celebrated throughout history.

The discovery of new and exciting lands, however, need not be the first thought that comes to mind when we consider the term “explorer.” In fact, we are all explorers basically from birth. When we first learn to crawl, we explore everything around us. The second a parent looks the other way, we explore things around us that somehow we know our parents do not approve of. And yet we do so anyways. We are curious, we need to know, we need to learn, and we need to explore!

Exploration, though, is hardly limited to that of the external world. The concept of exploration applies equally as well to our own internal personal worlds. Consequently, I cannot escape the conclusion that we crossdressers are also explorers. We explore our minds, emotions, and bodies in a manner that most either cannot, or are not willing to do. Indeed, the very first time we tried on a dress, a bra, high heels, or put on lipstick, eye shadow, or a wig, we were exploring an unknown facet of ourselves. We were delving deep into the unknown recesses of our mind and the social taboo, not sure of what we would find, not sure if we would be afraid of what we would discover. Yet, in the face of this uncertainty and known social adversity, we made this initial journey of crossdressing exploration regardless. Just as the heroic and courageous explorers of past days chose their own adventures, we have chosen our own path of personal exploration (or perhaps this path has chosen us). Regardless, our path is a beautiful, magical and enlightening path, but also a path fraught with social peril. But no risk, no reward, right?

So, with this being said, and that explorers are celebrated the world over, how is it that our own journeys of exploration are frowned upon and rejected by the masses? The irony is palpable and unmistakable. As explorers of the mind, soul, and body, we should likewise be celebrated and honored as explorers. At the very least, we should be accepted by society as explorers of the self.

Although we all desire acceptance from those around us, at the end of the day, we, as crossdressers, ask for very little. Simply, we want to feel and experience feminine clothing that society believes does not belong on our bodies. We want to feel and experience makeup that society believes does not belong on our faces. We want to explore our emotions and feelings as we attempt to become something that society says we should not be. We choose not to abandon an integral part of ourselves merely because society says we should. Instead, we want to explore the totality of who and what we are. We want to learn about ourselves. We want to know ourselves. We want to be ourselves.

“We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started... and know the place for the first time.” - T.S. Elliot

It is an impossible dream, however, to fully be who we are, or to know who we are, unless we are committed to the exploration of the self. For me, it is not enough to be told that because I am a male, I must act and think like a male at all times. I want and demand more! I need more! I want to be who and what I am! I choose and embrace this path of self-exploration because anything less would amount to tragic self-betrayal. And I will not betray myself! I will not, and do not, deny myself this incredible, magical exploration of femininity, crossdressing, and self!

The world would be a vastly different place without the contributions of explorers throughout the ages. We have learned much about the world through exploration. We have much yet to learn. Similarly, we have learned much about ourselves through personal exploration. And yet, there is always more to learn and experience! The prospect of future crossdressing exploration fills me with joy, eager anticipation, and excitement! It’s time to dress up, don a pith helmet, and explore! Indiana Jones ain’t got nothin’ on this girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Anne2345 View Post
    “how is it that our own journeys of exploration are frowned upon and rejected by the masses? The irony is palpable and unmistakable. As explorers of the mind, soul, and body, we should likewise be celebrated and honored as explorers. At the very least, we should be accepted by society as explorers of the self.
    It's because the world around you doesn't see what you do as noble exploration, but rather as a need to express what some consider to be a fetish, others consider to be a sin, and others consider to be just something weird.

The levels that you decide to reach might well be exploration for you. But you first need to have the desire to express the gender you were not assigned at birth and this is a form of expression that cisgenders just don't understand, not with the level of education they have been given so far.
    Reine

A true explorer of this caliper will eventually learn, however, that it really has nothing to do with what we look like but who we are as a person. When that happens, we know that we are only truly limited by our own imagination and the sky is not the limit but only the beginning. It it totally up to us though.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning