Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discussion – a topic worthy of discussion?

Complex Lolita...

Discussion – a topic worthy of discussion?

[SIZE="2"]“...sweet discourse, the banquet of the mind” (Dryden)
    “I'm me...and I don't give a rat's a**” (NathalieX66)

That last quote really bothers me, so I thought I would start a discussion about it – that IS OK isn’t it? This is a discussion forum, right? Oh, to be filled with apathy, unconcerned and wholly indifferent to anything that may spark a little interest about one’s existence! Unfortunately for you all, I am imbued with a healthy interest in anything that may influence my crossdressing, so I come here to write about it. The idea is to consider the pros and cons of a subject via writing, in the hopes of meeting other discussers who may also think about their own circumstances. At this time, I would like to offer the idea of discussion itself as a discussible subject. This is NOT meant to be an elaborate dissertation, even though I will seek to illustrate the idea at hand through words. Perhaps if I say, “let’s run it up the flagpole and see who salutes...” you will more easily understand the nature of this discussion, and where I happen to be coming from...

Yeah, I came here to discuss MtF crossdressing , because I know something about it – silly me! The desire to crossdress originates in many different places, and many different ways, according to whatever circumstances gave rise to this blessed gift. Maybe you don’t think it was “blessed” at all, so right off the bat you’re at odds with anything I have to say – that’s OK, but a space has been provided to be filled in with words, so I’m going to use it as I see fit. I love to crossdress, period, and I automatically love those males-by-birth who feel the same way about it. Feelings may be the key word in this piece, because lack of interest, or being destitute in feeling, leads to apathy (see above). Personally, I can’t imagine NOT feeling euphoria when I crossdress (pardon the double negative), nor can I fathom why someone would go to all the trouble of expressing apathy in a place like this. I know I’m lifting something out of context, but I’m not alone in doing that, am I?

I came to this forum to meet other crossdressers (of all types), and hopefully find a few who share my own appreciation for the “magic” of wearing the wrong clothes – in my case, I’m a male who wears (and enjoys wearing) women’s clothing, so I’m looking for some kindred spirits. I’ve found many in the past two years, since I became active on this site and overcame my initial reluctance to take the plunge. I knew what I was getting myself into, since I had already endured a forum much like this one – it’s a lot like trying to obtain a little sunlight way down here on the dark forest floor, while all around me the tall trees hold sway with their overreaching limbs and persistent attitudes. That sentence may be too flowery for you pragmatists, but it’s a good analogy, since a lot of members have come and gone, perishing in this stifling atmosphere of anti-discussion...

“Too harsh,” I can hear you say, but I miss the many special friends I’ve found, only to lose them when they become disillusioned with some things they read on this site. This is going on right now, as I write this, but do you care? Does your apathy constitute support for crossdressing or other crossdressers? I may have a thicker skin, calloused from many encounters with non-imaginative members here and elsewhere, but even I get disillusioned – if someone submits a suitable topic for discussion, it is promptly targeted, distorted, torn down, or dismissed in written form, meaning someone has taken the time to dash another member’s hopes or dreams. Why? I guess if you’re apathetic about your own circumstances, you will pass that lack of feeling along and eagerly pull the rug out from anyone who dares to love what they do. It makes me sad when a beautiful person, MtF crossdresser or not, gets summarily crushed in this manner. It’s the school playground all over again, replete with bullies and a general disregard for discussion, intelligence, introspection, or...gasp...beauty itself....

Believe me, I’ve been pleased with the level of discussion on this site, and heartened by the many positive responses to the threads I, and others, have initiated. I try to respond to other member’s threads with equal support and reinforcement, conscious of the fact that the individual may not be here very long – they (in fact everyone, other than the aforementioned apathists) need to be supported with kind words now and then. After all, for some, the act of crossdressing is fraught with fear or difficulty. The fact that I’ve been active here for nearly two years is indicative of the unfathomable depth of possible subjects for discussion – anything can relate to crossdressing, and I see connections all over the place. Even everyday events can be heightened and made special by the mere presence of crossdressing. I’m sure some of you are thinking “BIG DEAL,” but, to many of us, life is enhanced by crossdressing and that enhancement is, in itself, worthy of discussion...

You know, I could write a different way, and fire off a pithy sentence with an accompanying smiley or two (no doubt undermining my own words), but this is how I write. We visual artists have to write things called “artist’s statements,” declarations of intent where the painter, sculptor, printmaker, or whomever describes why he or she makes the work in question, or how he or she feels about the creative process. I don’t like to write about my own artwork, nor do I like to write artist’s statements, but I DO like to write about crossdressing – oddly enough, both subjects tend to be equally mysterious. Maybe crossdressing, in its MtF form, is more tangible to me, yet it exists in secrecy, away from the mainstream of society (unlike Art) and thus attractive in its apart-ness. There’s a lot of writing about art, and a lot of it is dense and unfriendly – there’s a plethora of dense, clinical writing about crossdressing, too, which is why this place is so valuable for those who LIKE to crossdress. Whenever I read, “I love to crossdress” by a newbie, I can barely suppress a smile, but when I read, “I don’t care...” I don’t smile at all...

So, in closing, I would like to encourage those members who are intimidated by what they read to come forth and generate some worthwhile discussion on any topic. What YOU think is worthwhile may be just the ticket, a breath of fresh air to dispel the clouds and return light to the dark forest floor we inhabit. Frankly, I’m surprised I’m still here, writing these overly long pieces, but I mainly write to relax – the only time I contemplate leaving the site is when my artwork demands my undivided attention, and it is tugging at my skirt hem constantly. Which reminds me – I could write endlessly about how nice my skirt feels, or how my panties are hugging my scrotum just-so, or how the cool air is circulating around my knees, but I’d rather explore the origins of how I came to dress this way, or why I feel the need to preserve my secretive activity, or why I can’t walk down the street in a small mid-Kansas town without upsetting the status quo. I like to discuss subjects like this because the answers are not easy to come by, nor will they be forthcoming in the foreseeable future. Meanwhile, I must say I LOVE to crossdress, but you already knew that...

For those of you who hate lengthy, verbose discourses, I will translate:

I’m here to DISCUSS crossdressing, so let’s have a DISCUSSION about it, OK???

Thanks for reading, and to all my imaginative, loving, and invariably silent friends, here’s a heartfelt hug for you:

Love, Freddy
    [/SIZE]

MMM, this could be an interesting thread, or a very short one. As I am mainly a closet dresser, and part time at that, there is really not a lot that I can say on the subject. I find it an interesting subject, as it relates to my gender in general. One of my hobbies is the study of war, and military history. It seems to me that cding is the very opposite of male aggression. I find that my own aggression level does decrease after a cd time. It will be interesting to read other members thoughts on the subject.

Gold Member
    Well, once a person has seen these subjects 1,000 times -

"how did you start, where did you get your name, what songs remind you of CD'ing, when did you first start dressing, my family found out, I wore a bra to work, pantyhose or stockings, do you have a girlie car, I walked around in a pitch black park in the middle of the night en femme, flying en femme, is it lying if you don't tell your spouse before marriage that you CD...

Well you get the point. I mean really, what else is there?
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

In order to have a meaningful discussion, one has to have a group of people holding differing opinions and points of view. I very often do! However, I have discovered on several occasions that it pays NOT to express a point of view which challenges the prevailing hegemony. Which is why I rarely get involved in discussions about crossdressing on this forum these days.

So because there really is very little room for dissention, topics these days tend to be boringly, tediously bland.

Sorry. IMHO.

Freddy,

I like your translation. Short, sweet and to the point. I also like the longer version and must admit that I do not always read your full long posts because my reading attention span is sometimes limited by my reading comprehension. So, keep the words flowing, and the breeze blowing up your skirt or dress. I love that feeling too.

I have been here for a little over 4 years, seems longer though, and have seen the ebb and flow of good threads, bad ones and, of course, the sometimes most interesting contentious ones. I sometimes refuse to participate in the really contentious ones, but that normally does not work and I end up adding my own two cents worth to the ongoing arguments. As you say, the members come and go for various reasons. One of those not noted in your discussion above, is that the bullies sometimes get the message and leave too. So, somehow, maybe like life, the Forum moves on re-groups and keeps going. It is funny that the second quote above has been used in similar forms by me too. Now when I use it, it generally means that I do not give a rats ass to what others think about me being out in the real world dressed in female clothes. I say that somewhat lightly because I do want to pass/blend as best possible, but I do know my limits and the reality of my looks, which I like to overlook most of the time. I also see and believe that us members here are probably a very good representation of the general makeup of the overall society in which we live. There are gun lovers and haters, lovers of diversity and those who dislike anything new and are afraid, conservatives and liberals, biased and unbiased, racists, homophobics, and all the rest. Some of those stereotypes I am surprised to see in a place like this because I did originally think that all of us would be less sensitive and more accepting of our brothers and sisters here as we deal with, suffer and enjoy this part of our lives, or in the Loved Ones' and SO's case, the lives of someone dear to them.

Seeing that you are such an artist with your words and thoughts, I would like your thoughts on the differences between your topic for discussion, "discussions", and conversations. I tend to think of discussions as being very close to civilized arguments where there are a lot differing and supporting opinions to someone's point of view. Conversations are less contentious, more give and take and informative, and turn into discussions when the conversation gets heated.

Thanks as always for an enlightening and thought provoking thread.

Aspiring Member
    Freddy,

I love the idea of this topic. Many times, i too have felt that we as a group re-hash and go over some of the same topics in cycles. Along with the constant cycle of newbies that either dont like what they read here or just plain move on.

I, like you, also came here to discuss why we crossdress and am always learning more and more about myself as we discuss feelings, emotions, situations, relationships, insecurities....this list goes on but the point is some of us are just as intrigued as you about understanding the hidden psych/social process that makes us as Mtf crossdressers tick. The more i read about everyone else's experiences the more i realize that we may all be crossdressers, but that may really be the only thing we have in common. Knowing that, i dont expect to like what i read.....all the time....by everyone. So in away i accept that we as a crossdressing community have to just appreciate each other for who we are or how we think. Maybe later down the road, in some small way, we may be able to help each other by sharing our thoughts and experiences.

So in the spirit of your original question i have a question for you, dear freddy....

As an artist myself, i have often wondered about the connection between my dressing and my creativity. When i had stopped dressing in the past, on one of my denial cycles, i also put down my pencil and my sketchbook.....it was frustrating times and my creativity was drained....In the last 2 years, amidst moving into accepting who i am, my creativity as a whole has come back stronger than ever....But is the renewed strength just as simple as not being depressed....or is the inner femininity directly connected to my creativity. Does this little songbird in my heart need a dress to fly? Its a silly concept but it something i would like to have your thoughts on....from one artist to another....

I await your elaborate well written response while embracing my insatiable curiosity for all discussions about crossdressing

Void of Apathy,
    -Donni-

oh almost forgot to add one of these
    Last edited by DonniDarkness; 06-04-2011 at 07:41 PM.

I say we have a separate worthy forum just for worth topics.... All others deemed unworthy can be discussed in the unworthy forum.. That way we will know for sure what's worthy and what's not! (We uncreative engineers always need clarification! ).
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Frederique--I love reading your posts. I generally do not have anything to contribute to your specific threads, as I'm a GG and often your topics relate to the experience of cross-dressing, but that doesn't mean I can't learn from you. You have an amazing way with words and I'm sorry that there are people on this forum who have a need to put you down just because you use words of more than one syllable.

One thing I wish is that more people would participate opposed to lurk. I like to have the input of many others. I also wish people would not run from heated discussions, instead contribute something that could possibly cool the discussion down a bit.

Freddy is right, this is a discussion group, and I for one like most of the ones that have happened here.

One thing I do notice is that there are signs an OP or post response is not fully read, and only certain phrases get taken out of context. I used to be guilty of that, but have over time learned to read a post before spouting off . My posts often seem to get misunderstood, most likely due to my odd communication style. There are times I think members here think that I believe everyone should think and be like me. Oh hell no. No way!!, I would go mad. I do wish people would get along and pay attention to that which matters, and I wish more would wish that. But I don't want everyone to be androgynous. I just want people to be as they wish as long as no one gets hurt.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

Frédérique, I enjoy an interesting discussion. Preferably regarding something that hasn't already been beaten to death, and that's hard to do given how many members this site has and how long it has been in operation. Even if it IS a topic that has been discussed before, I'd be interested in yapping about it as long it is about something of significance. We all like to laugh about it, but I really do dislike the "what type/color panties are you wearing?" threads.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but DAMN I love the way that you write! THAT is a talent in and of itself, and I think it is an art that has been in decay for a LONG time now. It reminds me of Edgar Rice Burrough and H.G. Wells. I might be able to come up with comparable and flawless writing, but it would take me days of writing, editing, and rewriting - certainly not a quick and casual post.

I grew up so far out in the Mojave desert that we only got one TV station by antenna, and even that station came in poorly. As a result, I had to learn to entertain myself and so took up the hobbies of reading and playing guitar. Since my favorite, my ONLY interest in books, was science fiction, I kind of grew up with a fairly impressive vocabulary. The bad news is that it only took a day or two in basic training for me to realize that I my vocabulary really wasn't doing me any favors there, and so it largely fell out of use. It's nice to be able to pull it back out and dust it off.

Dont worry about people giving you hell for your writing. Please dont change a thing as it is a pleasure to see the language used the way it was intended. I'd much rather have your writing lift my reading skills a notch than to have you dumb it (and me) down.

PS - I'm still smarting over the "your" versus "You're" thing . . . damn it . . . ROFL

First, as a recently new member (4 months) it can be intimidating to post replies on threads started and commented on by those of you that have been here longer and are more experienced (as of this writing 70% of the responders have over 1,000 posts and been on the forum a median of 4 years). So sometimes getting something meaningful from those of us with less experience is challenging. I can see how it can be frustrating for some threads to be "rehashed" over and over again as a new group of girls comes in. But really, there are 37,000+ threads in this area alone. Yes I could do a search before I start a thread but that is not nearly as much fun as getting peoples fresh opinions and trying to bring in new people to the discussion. And really, the point most of the time is not so much the information in thread as much as it is simpy having someone to converse with.

I believe that this is the root of some individuals "apathy". Not that they really do not care, but that they have been there, done that and are looking forward instead of the past. The issue with that though is that some of us who are newer are looking not just for a connection, but mentors to show us how to be more successful and accepting. I know that even though I have never contacted her, I have been inspired by the threads from "AKAMichelle" to take myself further than I ever thought I would (she goes to sports events dressed-WOW).

So these discussions, even the little ones, are important. You never know who will read the thread and be inspired.
    I'M FREE, I'M FREE! I GET TO BE ME!

Hi Freddy,

I have consistently enjoyed and have been engaged by the focus of your critical thinking and writing. Many times I have left this site "ruminating" on an idea you you have brought up, sometimes days or even weeks later. The result being an appreciation of nuance in understanding that has helped to grow my own awareness of the part of my being called "crossdressing". It has also added to the "charm" of it. Thank you for that.

While I don't check in or post frequently (a busy life going in many directions...and so little time), I do deeply appreciate what this site offers through the "examined stories" of so many of our members, and the normalizing it has offered me in context. Our shared stories do grow our collective wisdom at the individual level, and this is where I believe your critiques become so valued here...

The word "mystery" you used in starting this post deeply resonated with me. I find that over time as my levels of understanding and acceptance have evolved with dressing, the essential mystery of what it means to me in the sense of being has only grown...a bigger and bigger mystery. Have you found this as well outside the distractions of the moment?

I wonder if this could be the basis of a post as I think about it, "living within the mystery"...

Kate

I dunno......I think we should talk about it some.

Okay, it's true, Frederique. There is a lot of closed-mindedness going on around here, and so often the very best topics die a quick death, seemingly because the subject matter just flies over the heads of the crowd, which is often more interested in whether you like lace trim on your panties or not. Gee, you'd just hate to enter into any topic that took more than two lines to respond to. Discourse and discussion are the kindling for the fires of wisdom, the fuel for great ideas and concepts. But we have become an instant society, where fast food and Wal-Mart rule, and "thought" is something for others to conceive, and for the observer to peripherally absorb while basking in the relief that he didn't have to break a sweat thinking about an idea.

Kimberly's right, by the way. You do have a nice writing style. Never change (much).

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

I love the way Freddy writes too, but can we discuss font size?
    We older ones need something a bit larger, especially if it's a pretty font type!

Freddy you write about why do mtf crossdress well with regards to myself it gives me peace of mind and being what iam it also lets me know that i shoud have gone down this path many years ago.To many people what i am seems to create a feeling of distrust as they cannot or will not try to understand that i have feelings so tend to iether snub me or totally ignore me if only i coud make one person understand that my condition was not an illness but to me a blessiing maybe then they woud go away with a different point of view.Some hope you say but come on we have to try and educate the less blessed in this life so that in the future it may transpire that others will accept that living onfemme is to some a form of release from trying to live a lie as a male by birth .I know just how hard it was for myself to finally accept that in my mind i was a female and not a male as i was born this is hard for many people to understand so my mission in life is to go out there and make others try to comprehend the joys of being free to live there life free of all the hatred that being a crossdresser seems to bring out in a lot of people.Iam proud of what i am and i was lucky in the fact that my wife understood that i was in fact a man living a lie and helped me to get the help to trans by going with me to the gender clinic where she was told that she was in fact correct in her diagnosis therfore hrt was prescribed for life and she saw the difference in my behavior for the better i may add.So i will end this discourse by saying thanks freddy you are a treasure to read.............davinax
    davina

Quote Originally Posted by steftoday View Post
    I love the way Freddy writes too, but can we discuss font size?
    We older ones need something a bit larger, especially if it's a pretty font type!
    HAH! I was thinking the same thing myself Stef! I'm 45 and in the last two years my eyesight has plummeted dramatically.

I have been a member of this forum for approximately three months. During this relatively short period, I have made some fantastic new friends, and participated in various threads. During my first month here, I was in the so-called pink fog. I could not believe that such a haven existed for crossdressers, where all are welcomed with open and loving arms. During that time, I really opened up on some very personal isues, and the support and responses I received were overwhelmingly positive. I learned an amazing amount about myself in a short period of time. For this, I will always be grateful.

However, since that time, small cracks of disappointment have slowly tainted the otherwise very postive view I have of this forum. There are many wonderful and fantastic girls within the forum's membership. The forum, as a whole, I love, respect, enjoy, and thoroughly appreciate. But in reading responses to certain posts, I am struck by the negative attitudes of some, and the nonchalant dismissal of some member's thoughts and opinions.

Without healthy debate and discussion, this forum is doomed to fail in its mission and purpose. I by no means believe that the failure of this forum is imminent - it is not - but I do question whether certain debate and discussion among the members here is healthy.

I have no doubt that the membership here is quite diverse, composed of girls from varying backgrounds. One thing we all share in common, however, is this incredible gift of crossdressing that has been bestowed upon us for whatever reason(s). This singular gift, this amazing quality that we all share, should be enough, in and of itself, to bring us all together. And for the most part, it does. The diversity of the membership is also a postive characteristic of the forum. Different persepectives are shared, considered, and discussed.

Although different perspectives are held within the membership, this should not be an excuse to treat other members in a disrespectful manner. There is room for everybody here, and everyone has something of value to contribute. Negativity adds nothing of value, however, and serves only to silence some who may otherwise contribute and participate in a meaningful manner.

Moreover, I am equally disappointed by the amount of closed-mindedness I witness within certain threads. We will not always agree on the issues, nor should we. But this is not an excuse to simply close one's mind, arbitrarily dismiss the other member's thoughts, and fire off a negative response. Society closed its collective mind to us crossdressers long ago. Society will not give us the time of day anytime soon in the future. If we close our minds to each other, as crossdressers within our own collective ranks, and practice within what society already practices against us, does this serve us well? It does not, nor will it ever.

I am not intimidated by the negativity or closed mindedness embraced and practiced by some here. I am quite confident in my ability to "hold my own," if I so choose to do so. Mostly, I choose not to participate in such controversial discussions and debate on this forum, though, because dealing with the negativity is neither worth it to me, nor consistent with the reasons I joined this forum.

In this regard, I joined this forum because I truly believe that crossdressing is a magical and beautiful gift. I love crossdressing! I want to share my thoughts and opinions on the subject with others. I want others to share their thoughts and opinions with me. I want to engage in healthy and fruitful discourse. It need not be in the context of the significant or serious, I enjoy fun, trivial topics and diversions as much as the next girl. All of this can occur, and should occur, within a positive, supportive atmosphere devoid of unreasonable negativity and closed-mindedness. I do not believe this is too much to ask for.

That being said, I want to again reiterate how much I enjoy and appreciate this fantastic forum, and its membership. I look forward to participating in the future, and getting to know you all better.
    Last edited by Anne2345; 06-05-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Dear Freddy,
    Thank you for presenting this wonderful article, and I agree that it represents an excellent topic for further discussion!

For those who would, right off the start, question my definition of this Original Posting as an ‘article’, let me point out that it does in fact have all the requisite elements present to refer to it as such. This structure, in and of itself, immediately sparked my interest, and compelled me to closely read, re-read, and then carefully consider its message, and the implications it suggested as to what my own behavior and attitudes towards this forum have been in general. I also very much appreciate that the subject is on the nature and manifestation of this discourse community called Crossdressers.com that we are all a part of, as I’ve often found myself taking a step back from many of the threads here, and sometimes struggled with how I felt about what is being said in responses and replies from other members.

Although I’ve not been a member of this forum for very long, I am quite familiar with the etiquette and ‘rules’ that generally govern these types of online communities (i.e., “don’t be a troll”, “keep your responses on topic”, “look back to past threads to see if you question has already been addressed”, etc., etc.). Overall I feel cd.com is well managed by the moderators, however part of that opinion stems from the observation that those with dissenting opinions are generally allowed (by the staff) to voice their differing opinions, as long as it remains civil. To your point however, that sometimes members (both new and old) are driven away by the forceful attitudes of other members, I think that part of the problem is that those who take the attitude that they know everything and have all the answers, generally forget that what they know only truly represents their own experiences and opinions. One person cannot ever actually hold all the correct revelations for the entire population, and this is especially true here on this forum, as we have such a diverse mixture of members.

This is where it becomes so important to have as many people as possible give their ideas and feelings on the important topics that come up. We have such a vast spectrum of personal attitudes about what it means to each of us to be a crossdresser and/or transgendered, but when someone enters a reply that attempts to belittle, discount, or invalidate another's, it often has the effect of causing those of us who have not yet responded to put up their guard, and then sometimes become hesitant to add their own feelings. For me personally such hesitations are not born out of any intimidation or fear of having my feelings hurt (I have a very thick emotional skin), but rather that when I see an interesting thread starting to reel out of control, I’ve very often chosen to just turn away, rather than add my own opinions that I felt might just add fuel to an already blazing inferno, one which has generally become completely off topic because people are just starting to take pot shots at each other. When I see this happening it’s no wonder that those being verbally assaulted might just feel the need to pack up and move on, especially if their motivation for joining this site originally was to seek the support and guidance of others.

So then, what might we do to encourage more participation, and entice the more reticent souls in our midst to contribute new and engaging threads? Well, I suppose each of us needs to take some time and make those introspective decisions for themselves, but for my part, this discussion is forcing me to examine why I’ve not yet proposed some of the topics that I personally would like to see explored. Part of that reservation is simply baggage from my wider experiences within the CD/TG community, where I’ve found my self-identification as being ‘bi-gendered’ has frequently been met with condemnation and ridicule from both sides of the camp. I’m a crossdresser, but it’s not really about the clothes for me. I’m deeply involved in my own transition to living full time as a woman, but I’m neither a transsexual nor a transvestite. These simple facts, which I’ve deal with all my life, have been carried over into believing that the ponderous queries I have, as to what it’s all about, are perhaps not of interest of significance to the rest of you, but I am starting to understand now that this modality of reservation only acerbates the issue at hand, and I suspect that many others may be staying silent for similar reasons.

A discourse community requires only this; Civil Communication. Without those things in pair we have neither discourse nor community.

I would like to thank you Freddy, for giving me reason to scrutinize my own taciturnity, and contemplate ways I might overcome those hindrances to being a more participatory member here.

One last thought… I too feel blessed to be who and what I am.

Warm Regards,
    -Miss Mia Tao
    [SIZE="3"]The Universe Is Love, Enjoy Your Time In It!!![/SIZE][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Like some of the comments, I to came onto this site to get and give on the more stimulating topics. I am not interested in what color are your panties, but why someone keeps going back to the same dressing mode. What motivates me and you to do the things that we on this site do. Is it just some eccentricity, or something more within our make up. Are we just finding a different way to express ourselves, or are we finding a different way to rebel against society? I to, love to crossdress, in my case underdress, to me there is nothing better than to wear some soft sexy lingerie next to my skin. Frankly if we didn't enjoy what we are doing, we would have stopped doing it a long time ago!
    This is the place to get acceptance, and see that there are others that think and feel the way that I do about many things. Are we an oddity, or just out on the fringe where we have the room to move and feel without bruising our sides bumping into everyone else? I to live in a small town, and there are times that I am walking down the street and smirk to myself because I know something that they don't know. There is something about walking to the beat of your own drum that is liberating! Viva the difference!!!
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

IMHO this forum is the most friendly and helpful of any to which I have belonged. I must have missed (or dismissed) the postings that were unkind, unpleasant or negative. It is a given that with as many members as there are here, not all are going to be in total agreement. However, to paraphrase a famous quote "I may not like what you are saying but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

There are some sites where things get way too personal and are not opinions voiced in a discussion of a topic. Honest differences of opinion are helpful to understanding something as long as they do not personally attack someone.
    Hugs, Carole

Amazing Member
    Can I Discuss Cross-Dressing Now I am Over it?
    What was crossdressing to me, a fifty-year long interlude, during which I could not face the fact that I was born, only to be happy living as a woman? Certainly when I started livng as a woman full-time, was that only cross-dressing full time, or had I gone beyond that , not only gettting beyond the deifintion of cross-dressing, to crossing the gender barrier and living as a woman, for which dressing as a woman was no longer cross-dressing? Certainly transitioning to livimg as a woman was the most liberating exprience of my life!

Is cross-dressing a stultifying, arrest of the normal pattern of transition to living as the gender of the opposite sex? Or, is it a self-sustaining state, a stable state, rather than a state of arrested transition? Obviously, it is a partial and half-state, or whatever fractions you find descriptive of cross-dressing in your life. But one thing I have learned, is out in the general public, they accept or understand and even respect, gender change but not the farctional approach. That is the natural law of cross-dressing. That it is unacceptable, compared to full transition. But is it a natural law that will eventually be seen to be antiquated and can be rejected? Or is cross-dressing, for all tiem and all purposes, an improper fraction? Is cross-dressing dicussable in itself? Or must you always reference it to transition?
    Last edited by Beth-Lock; 06-05-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by AllieSF
    It is funny that the second quote above has been used in similar forms by me too. Now when I use it, it generally means that I do not give a rats ass to what others think about me being out in the real world dressed in female clothes. I say that somewhat lightly because I do want to pass/blend as best possible, but I do know my limits and the reality of my looks, which I like to overlook most of the time.
    [SIZE="2"]I lifted that second quote out of context, but the context it came from obliquely referred to not caring about a meaningful discussion – at least that’s how I read it. Not caring about what others think of you may be a useful attitude for a crossdresser to carry around, but not caring about major societal issues that obviously impact crossdressing just makes me sad. I see what I’m up against every day, meaning out in the world, not here on this site, so I think a discussion about our ongoing situation is extremely valuable, to say the least. I don’t expect everyone to join in, but to dismiss something that requires a certain amount of thought with a curt, thoughtless remark is highly counter-productive, IMHO…[/SIZE]

Seeing that you are such an artist with your words and thoughts, I would like your thoughts on the differences between your topic for discussion, "discussions", and conversations. I tend to think of discussions as being very close to civilized arguments where there are a lot differing and supporting opinions to someone's point of view. Conversations are less contentious, more give and take and informative, and turn into discussions when the conversation gets heated.
    [SIZE="2"]I endured many “conversations” over on another crossdressing site some years ago, and I had a hard time being heard, being noticed, or taken seriously. This site is much better, and I’m sorry I’m not able to stick around for a conversation that may develop within a thread – being a rather shy outsider, I’m always conscious of others who would like to contribute and add substance to a discussion, so I vacate the premises. My problem is I post a topic to discuss and leave abruptly, much like pinning something on the bulletin board before running out the door – conversations would be less probing, more intimate, and gentler by comparison. Is it possible to have a true conversation in this once-removed collective atmosphere? To discuss literally means to “scatter,” BTW…[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Danni Renee
    So sometimes getting something meaningful from those of us with less experience is challenging. I can see how it can be frustrating for some threads to be "rehashed" over and over again as a new group of girls comes in. And really, the point most of the time is not so much the information in thread as much as it is simpy having someone to converse with.
    [SIZE="2"]My complaint isn’t so much about a dearth of new subjects, because I enjoy discussing something again and again, but what bothers me is when new or inexperienced members are “put off” by something they read, and their presence gradually diminishes over time. Like I said, I’ve met many special friends here in the past two years, and it makes me sad to see so many avatar-less individuals on display in my “friends and contacts” area – these represent numerous (and cherished) brief encounters, and I KNOW why these members left. That being said, it takes effort to begin or join a discussion, and not everyone has the time or inclination to do so – it also takes a certain amount of courage to stick your opinions out in the alleged crossfire, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised at the amount of open-mindedness on this site…[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by steftoday
    I love the way Freddy writes too, but can we discuss font size? We older ones need something a bit larger, especially if it's a pretty font type!
    [SIZE="2"]As someone once said, “I feel your pain.”

I compose these collections of words using a word processor on a laptop with a wide screen, and the size of the font looks OK to me (I wear glasses, BTW). The font and size also look good on my sister’s computer (a PC), in fact it looks much larger. If I made it any bigger it would take up even more space (!), and it may look like I’m using a sledgehammer to make a point, something I wish to avoid. Anyway, I’m sorry for the inconvenience, and I appreciate your effort – I hope you can read this post OK, even though I haven't changed anything…
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    [SIZE="2"]As someone once said, “I feel your pain.”

I compose these collections of words using a word processor on a laptop with a wide screen, and the size of the font looks OK to me (I wear glasses, BTW). The font and size also look good on my sister’s computer (a PC), in fact it looks much larger. If I made it any bigger it would take up even more space (!), and it may look like I’m using a sledgehammer to make a point, something I wish to avoid. Anyway, I’m sorry for the inconvenience, and I appreciate your effort – I hope you can read this post OK, even though I haven't changed anything…
    [/SIZE]
    If you write your text in a text editor, then cut and past it here, the font information does not com with it - only the text itself. If you want your font here in this form to be set a certain way, you have to either specify it in your preferences, or change the font size each time you make a post.
    That last post was still purty tiny letters . . . LOL

Yes Freddy, I have noticed your somewhat hit and run approach to starting a thread and taking your time to get back to it. Whatever it takes to get you to post is fine with me. Though earlier feedback and participation on your part is always appreciated. You must be a good listener in an oral conversation and discussion. I don't listen too well and always talk too much. That is me and I seem to function well that way. It is nice to get your feedback though to know we are more or less on the right track in interpreting your thoughts.

I personally do not have a problem of the concept of, "I got my first panty threads". I think that we all need to celebrate our accomplishments in this side of our lives considering all the difficulties we have to be ourselves when we want to in the real world. For the newbies, especially the shyer more introverted types, those threads are a good opportunity to start participating here with their written word and hopefully gives them more confidence to tackle the more serious and contentious topics and the variety of posts in them, from constructive, humorous, to the one-upping and getting the last words in ones. Food for thought - participating in those tough threads may help some to develop a little tougher skins, recognize that their opinions are just as valid as others here, thus maybe helping them to stay around a little longer. Oh, that alleged crossfire is not alleged. It really exists, so sometimes the use of a flak jacket is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    As someone once said, “I feel your pain.”

Actually, anyone can easily change the text size on the fly with a modern browser. In Firefox 3 I just hold down the Ctrl key and roll the mouse wheel away from myself and the text becomes larger. Give it a try!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]