Thread: Therapy Appointment Scheduled so what should I expect.

Therapy Appointment Scheduled so what should I expect.

For the past several years I have gone back and forth with the idea of crossdresser/transgender or whatever. This week, I called and made an appointment with a therapist who specializes in transgenderism. I am so excited to finally start the process of becoming the person that I feel I am on the inside and letting the world know I'm not ashamed.

My question: What should I expect in this first session as well as the following sessions. Also, should I go enfemme or drab. My gut is saying Fem shorts, cute top, polished toes, ladies sandals, and dangly earrings. Think that might be a bit much for a first appointment?

Looking forward to your comments and i truly enjoy the support this board gives.

Jeri

Well the first session is usually just paperwork, insurance, etc., and then plotting out what you would like to accomplish through therapy. Wear whatever you're comfortable with, chances are you're easily not the weirdest person they've met.

the days leading up to my first appointment I was getting more and more nervous, kept thinking about cancelling, but didn't I showed up about 15 minutes before the office opened (first client of the day) as I was standing outside, my thoughts were of excitement eagerness and wanting to flee and just head to work... but I stayed, and my therapist came and greeted me, she met with me, the scariest part about it was her first question to me, what bring you here, my mind froze trying to think of how do I tell her I think I'm unhappy living as a man and feel I should be a woman, but once I got that out the session flowed smoothly and by the end I wished I could have had therapy for hours, I was so excited part of me just wanted to share why I was so happy. I obviously didn't but exploring this stuff opening up and being honest without fear of judgement is something that allows you time to express yourself freely, the first session was just getting to know me, the rest (so far) have been digging deeper and deeper and as I do more, the more I feel I can share. she's guiding me showing me areas in my life that need improvement, and right now I'm looking for a new doctor (because among other things I'm not comfortable talking to my current doctor about transitioning)

I hope I'm not coming off as offensive with my views but Honestly you can go dressed up but I say go in whatever you feel comfortable with, I don't think you have to demonstrate to your therapist that your a CD or TG, atleast for me the first session was something that made me nervous, if I had worn a fem outfit on top of that, I might have fled like I was thinking about lol

My female therapist made it clear that I was NOT ill. Transgenderism is not something which needs treatment. The trouble stems from our and others reaction to it. As for dress, like someone said, you have nothing to prove. I had a nice picture of myself which I showed on my 3rd visit. Have fun!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Expect to be SURPRISED, Jeri! At how unaffected an experienced counselor can be! Dress the way u usually dress, in clothes that make u feel most comfortable!

The sooner u can relax and feel comfortable, the sooner your therapist can delve into what your real issues r! Remember to try and be honest! If u DON'T know an answer or how u feel, simply SAY THAT! U should be able to tell your therapist anything! The sooner u can, the better the results! And, sooner means less $$$ and time spent! Lol!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Thank you for all of the kind words. I'm just looking forward to taking the next step in moving toward living the life that I know I need to be living. I'll let you all know how it goes after the appointment.

Relax once you are seated across from your therapist. Be your authentic self. Tell your therapist where you noticed this beginning, and then bring them up to speed to the present.

If you have a good therapist, you'll come to cherish these sessions.

Chris

Woman and loving it Jennifer Marie P.'s Avatar
    Go as how you feel at the time and be relaxed and yourself.

You should expect R. Lee. Ermy Throwing a box of tissues at you while exclaiming "Why don't we go poncing off to namby pamby land where you can possibly learn some self confidence, ya JACK WAGON!!!"

Just kidding (I love that comercial and R. Lee was on par with his usual self).

I would say don't hide anything from the therapist. If he or she shows irrationality, bail. That's about all I can offer.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.