Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Closet is My Blessed Sanctuary. Is Yours?

My Closet is My Blessed Sanctuary. Is Yours?

For those of you within the closet, such as myself, what does “the closet” mean to you?

Is it a place of shame, where some of us dress with our heads hung low, that we, society forbid, actually enjoy dressing as the opposite sex?

Is it a place of fear, where abject timidity dictates that we dress in solitude, for worry of reprisal or rejection by certain segments of our community?

Is it a place of embarrassment, where a self-perceived loss of masculine virility leads to discomfiture, that we are somehow failing the expectations of society and ourselves?

Is it a place of denial, where that which occurs within is steadfastly disavowed to the outside world, as if it never happened or happens?

Is it a dark, foreboding hamlet of surrender, where those within succumb to the vagaries of society, and abandon the cause of the crossdresser, whatever that may be, and fend only for ourselves?

Is it a place of sin, where we commit treason against nature and a higher calling, with little hope of absolution in the future?

Is it a blessed sanctuary, a place of self expression and love, that is cherished, honored, and protected?

Or is the closet none of the above, some of the above, or something else entirely different?

Since joining this forum, I have thought a lot about “the closet,” and what it means to me. I am in the closet for probably many of the same reasons other closeted members are - safety, security, and comfort, to name a few.

But why am I really in the closet? Some members of the forum have a desire, a need, to leave the closet and crossdress in public. I respect this. I applaud such members’ courage. And I wish these sisters the best, and a safe voyage in their journey of public self-expression.

Another segment of the membership here, albeit a small segment, appears to frown on the closet, and suggest it is beneath us. Their perception appears to further suggest it is a negative place.

I, however, have no such desire to share my gift with the world. None at all. Perhaps I am being selfish. Perhaps I am afraid. Perhaps I cannot afford the risk. But perhaps it is also something more than this.

Deep down, I harbor no faith in society to ever understand me. I further believe that society will never fully accept me. I am under no illusions. And yet, it is not that I believe that I am failing society, it is that I believe society is failing me.

As such, it is society’s loss that it cannot understand and comprehend the beauty and magic of crossdressing. It is society’s loss that it limits and constricts itself in manners that I find nescient, stifling, and completely unimaginative. Further, it is society’s fault that it makes not a legitimate and good faith attempt to understand and accept me, but instead attempts to sweep me under the carpet with the hope that no one notices.

So why should I share myself with society? In this, I owe society nothing. Consequently, I have chosen to close the door to the world, and remain safely tucked away in my closet.

But make no mistake about it, I absolutely love crossdressing and crossdressers! I need to crossdress. I want to express myself and find an outlet for my feminine side. I vigorously embrace femininity and indulge within this very tangible part of my existence.

And I can do all of this within the sanctuary of my beloved closet. I can do it because I crossdress for myself, and myself only. I need not the approval of those I have not invited into my closet. My closet is magical. It is beautiful. It is my temple of femininity and expression of self, where I am free to be me.

My closet is also misunderstood by the world, and I will not allow it to be defiled and blasphemed by non-believers. Thus, my closet is a private club, closed to those who hate, attack, or do not understand. No membership card, no entry, no exceptions.

In this regard, I remain in the closet because I do not believe society has earned the right to view me, as it cannot possibly view me as I view myself, or see the beauty that I represent as a crossdresser. So why should I denigrate myself in this manner, given the other very real risks I must consider attendant with going public, when I am otherwise content in my closet?

My answer to this question, the answer that applies to me, is simple – I should not, and do not. The opportunities I am presented with within my closet are limited only by my imagination and sense of self-awareness. In other words, the opportunities I perceive are limitless. I am genuinely happy in my closet. I have no compunctions whatsoever about remaining in my closet. Most importantly, I love my closet, and that awesome, inspiring, and powerful magic that occurs within.

To those brave souls that do leave the closet, are open about their crossdressing, and fight the battle for acceptance, know that I love and respect you for your valiant efforts. As a group, if we are ever to succeed, we need you, and I thank you for this.

But to my fellow closet dwelling sisters out there, how do you view your own closet?

Your description of your feelings on staying in the closet match my own feelings exactly Anna.
    There is nothing I could add here. Every word I agree with. You are talking about me!

One thing I will add is the smell of last nights perfume on my clothes when I open the door. You missed that one out girl.

A big hug from, SUZY

I am also in the closet of not revealing this side of me to family and friends, neighbors and the like. However, I am very definitely out of the closet about going out and interfacing with the real world in all its beauty and diversity. I actually live for that part when dressed. I love your post and totally respect what you are saying. It has put in words what I never thought much about. Thanks.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Anne, you wrote a very beautiful piece about your closet. But you also made some rather large mistakes, in my opinion!!

You stated that you do not believe is is your failure, but that of society!! I may get flamed for saying this, but you are dead wrong. It is your failure to not accept the fact that you are a crossdresser, and let the public know and accept you that way. I have been a CD for almost 70 years and have been out in public for at least 50 of those years. And I mean really out in public, in many different cities. The point is, in that 50 years how many times have I had negative remarks made to me or about me?? Maybe 50 or 100?? The correct answer is that in 50 years I have had Two (2) negative remarks made!! The last one was about 15 years ago!! For the last 6 years, since my dear wife died, I have gone out dressed enfemme but wearing no makeup and no wig!! In other words, I go out as a guy in a skirt and top!! I do get compliments on my outfits from both men and women, but nothing negative. What most crossdressers don't realize, or maybe they don't accept it, is that most people don't really pay attention to what you are wearing. Of course, if you dress to attract attention than they will look. But if you dress like a normal woman, without enormous beasts, most people won't care. I think many of those who are in the closet have a problem going out like that. They think people are going to make fun of them1 You will be made fun of if you dress like a drag queen!!But if you dress like a lady should, hardly anybody will even look at you!!

BTW, just for the record, I have one closet for male clothes and six for my female things!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Very well said. I agree 99% Once or twice a year, though, I put fears aside, and very carefully pick a place to go out in public. It must be the daring, and the thrill, taking a chance. But, it is so much safer in the closet, unless neighbors are peeking in the window blinds!

Fearlessly Independent RebeccaLynne's Avatar
    Anne, your post is beautifully written. As I began to read it, however, I was troubled by all the negative aspects initially outlined therein; fearful of discovery, fear of acceptance. Fortunately, reading on, I was heartened to see that you were not ashamed of your gender-identity duality, and recognized your CD'ing was something you did to enhance your enjoyment of life.

I'm the same. I don't care what society thinks, and I don't feel any need to obtain their approval. I CD 'cause I like it, inside my residence. So, I'm not "in the closet", I'm "in-house". I gain every bit of enjoyment I need inside my home.

As far as anyone knowing about it, I couldn't care less. Former wife knows, as does my GF, as does one of her best girlfriends;also, my next door neighbor. Possibly my daughters: they're smart girls, seen me en femme on Halloween... we've never discussed it, 'cause there's really no need to.

I'm not afraid of discovery; if I were, I wouldn't post here. Just ask Anthony Weiner if you have any right to privacy. Not today; not anymore.

Not buying it.

Sounds like a poem you have to repeat to convince yourself to keep doing what you're doing - the way you're doing it.

I'm not your closet dwelling sister; I live in a bigger world.

A closet is a place to put things until I get back to it and move things around.

That's all it is... It's no place to live a decent life.

Anne you wrote a masterpiece here! Allthough I am out ot the closet, I remember it's security and love! I agree with you 100% even though I enjoy being out! I can fully understand why some choose to stay in there! My self I wanted something more! Thank you for this beautiful masterpiece! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Um, thanks for your, uh, response, Joana.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanagreenleaf View Post
    Not buying it.
    What is not to buy, Joana? I take the time to compose a post that is meaningful to me, to participate on this forum, and share with others, and you tell me, without knowing me, that you do not buy it? On what basis do you do this? From whom do you acquire your information about me? How do you apparently know me so well as to form an opinion as to my sincerity and belief?

Sounds like a poem you have to repeat to convince yourself to keep doing what you're doing - the way you're doing it.
    I take it that you are one of the members that believes the closet is beneath all crossdressers, and you look down upon those of us that reside within. Believe me, I need not recite any "poetry" to convince myself that I love what I do. The crossdressing that I engage in constitutes poetry in and of itself, in the form of self-expression. There is much beauty in poetry, and I have a deep appreciation of both beauty and poetry. Do you?

I'm not your closet dwelling sister; I live in a bigger world.
    Given your complete lack of understanding and compassion for the words I write, and the emotions and honesty I conveyed through my post, it is quite obvious you do not live in a bigger world. You exist in a much smaller, narrow-minded world. A world devoid of imagination, understanding, and ironically enough, tolerance. You do, however, exist in public. And I wish you well with your journey, and hope that you have a fulfulling experience.

A closet is a place to put things until I get back to it and move things around.
    I am sure you fashion yourself quite the witty girl, huh? I cannot fathom the point of your remark, other than an attempt to be hurtful, and trivialize the existence of crossdressers that live within the closet. Are you really that person? Please feel free to again refer to the above-referenced statement about existing in a smaller, narrow-minded world.

That's all it is... It's no place to live a decent life.
    Thank you for judging and insulting not only me, but the entirety of the closeted crossdressing community within this forum! My post was directed to my "closet dwelling sisters," which you made abundantly clear that your are not a member of. So why did you reply at all? Judging by your words, you seem to believe (erroneously so) that you understand me quite well. Therefore, I am at quite a disadvantage with you in that I have no understanding of you whatsoever, and why you feel compelled to respond to my post in such a negative manner.

To the rest of you - I really appreciate your kind, constructive comments and responses. We may differ in how we approach our own personal world of crossdressing, but we are all fortunate and beautiful in what we do! I appreciate and respect all of you!
    Last edited by Anne2345; 06-11-2011 at 01:33 AM.

I have never been in any closet, except to get and store my clothes.

I don't see how anyone can define being "in the closet" as a good thing. The only real advantage is avoiding the hassle of an intolerant public. For now, that can be significant, and going public can require a lot of effort, and take away from the fun of just wanting to express yourself.

I go out in public not because I need it or somehow feel that the closet is a cop-out. I do it because it doesn't bother to be different. I am not courageous, just fortunate to be comfortable being myself, and I want to help pave the way for public acceptance, so that others will feel more comfortable getting out. Not everyone is the right type of person to go out. Those of us who can should, and people who are shy about being "weird" are equally respectable for enjoying themselves at home.
    Juno Michelle Krahn

Normal people are weird. Stealth is another word for "in the closet".

My closet, or rather, my drawers and medicine cabinet, is like a desert island. I want to get off, and nobody's stopping me, but I just don't know how.

"A glass of wine anytime" rachaelsloane's Avatar
    [QUOTE=sissystephanie;2515724]

......It is your failure to not accept the fact that you are a crossdresser, and let the public know and accept you that way.
    Anne,
    I agree with what you have written and need to comment about sissystephanie's reply. NO WHERE did you say you were not accepting your CD'ing but the complete opposite.
    Always,
    Rachael

The true measure of a good post is this .... half the people think it's great; the other half think it's not.
    I'm with the first group.

"Is it a blessed sanctuary, a place of self expression and love, that is cherished, honored, and protected?"

Certainly it is, for now, my sanctuary... as I go deeper into myself, and tranform the darker negative aspects,
    I get stronger and closer to self-acceptance. I connect my femme self with the Goddess, so I give to Her
    in expressions of love, of all that I am... I seek to make this seemingly "negative and shameful" part
    of me, a gift and source of life and Light.....
    --------
    Love your woman within...

Know thy self -- Be your true self......

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

What a WONDERFUL POST, Anne! I've NEVER read one on closet dressing any better!

U DID leave out one factor that's HUGE for me, tho!

Altho I'm TOTALLY a closet dresser, I go out dressed to be with other girls!

When I go out with them, I must dress to blend! Something I really dislike!

When I dress at home it's; Katy-bar-the-door, who let the dogs out, anything goes!
    As u said, I have NO ONE to please except myself! My imagination is my only limit! I can be nude, sexy, dirty, silly, stupid, ridiculous, ANYTHING I WANT! And, without a second thot!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Deep in the Heart of Texas..okay..DFW area
    Its great that Anne has taken the time to put into HER own words of how she feels about her as a crossdresser.. 'in the closet'...now what does that really mean? does it mean the 4'x8' cubicle???? really????..its means the freedom of one's house..in most cases..

And yes..she accepts herself as a crossdresser... oh yes, this I know from our discussions.. she has dealt with it a long time and knows..that she is indeed a crossdresser..not a TS.. a CD.. who enjoys the feel of the cloth or the silk and the beauty of makeup.. in her own domain....

She is not 'the sign carrying woman' who will meet the front lines sacrificing all that she has worked for... no.. she can not lose that..it means too much to her family..and close friends... close friends? yes..those who may not understand what it means to be a CD..but yet..to precious to give up if they do not understand... understand? then why have them as friends? Maybe sometimes a strong bondship is not worth our own selfishness...

But alas...she is just one woman..with her own thoughts...its her closet..and she can enjoy it as she sees fit..

If you want to venture out to the world and place that stake on the 50 yard line and yell "I have arrived"...do so..its your right..but don't hold it against another who feels some things are worth more...and not willing to lose them.. yet can find some (rather alot) of happiness in her own closest.

If she ever feels to spread her wings further...that is HER choice and HER'S alone.

If you can not repect that..please..take a moment to look in the mirror and ask yourself "why not?".

Marissa
    Marissa

"You better look hard and look twice,
    ...is that me, baby or just a brilliant disguise?"- The Boss

I can understand this post and have no problems with anyone not being out in the public eye. I live and work in such a redneck, small minded community any one that has to consider their own safety. My wife outed me to her family, which translates to my work place, and all through the small towns we live in or near. This has at times caused me some trouble, nothing I havent been able to deal with, but in this day and age you never know what consequences to expect from being put in this position. Now that I've been outed, I may be closer to going out at some point in time, dont know when or where, but time will tell. As always safety first.

Anne. You wrote a very wonderful post. You really tell it like it is. I don't know if I really feel like sociaty has let me down, by not accepting me. It is what you make it. There are alot of use that have stepped out that door and have a great time doing it. And I applaude them as well.

I have been out a couple of time and it was alot of fun each time. But in reality I am still in the closet for the most part and I am with you. I am there for the "safety, security, and comfort"
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Great post Anne,
    I guess I am in the closet, but have expanded it to allow room for my SO, whom I hope will be just as accepting when she gets home as she was on the phone..
    I may in future allow a select few to have a peek, like the girl that does my SO's nails, I think getting our nails done together might be a fun way to bond!

I don't consider my recent trip to the supermarket as being out of the closet, nor will my future trips be, the people I will encounter do not know me (Iskandra) nor the duality she is..
    Yes, I think going out en femme is scary as hell, and always will be to a degree, but then so are the best themepark rides, like the big drop!

Being in a closet isn't a bad thing, just remember just about every person on this planet hides a skeleton or two, be it CDing, BDSM, knitting, wanting to be a klingon.. you name it and it's in a closet somewhere! Everyone needs a place where they can just be.. Without being judged or interrupted by the rest of lifes dramas.. Yes a sanctuary indeed..
    I..

My Yin is meeting my Yang..
    When people can only see the circle,
    Then I will be complete!

While reading your post Anne I couldn't help but think of the Beach Boys tune 'In My Room.' '...There's a world where I can go and tell my secrets to - In my room, in my room...' We all have our places some of us give them a name while others don't name them.

Great post Anne, for me it is my briefcase (odd I know) but all my girlie attire is in there and is in full view all the time. Best hiding place! (Wife doesn't know by the way)

Anna x
    Anna x

Anne I truly enjoyed your beautiful and honest post and I agree with what you said about being happy with right where you are! " in the closet" we each have to decide what is right for us and live that way none can decide for us, I do beleive each one is unique thankyou for a great topic.

Well said Anne, there will always be a great divide between those of us that dwell within, and those that enjoy the big wide world, and while I do love to hear the tells of the sister that are out and about, I don't envy them, I tried it, didn't like it, and am very happy in my closet. I'm lucky enough to have a very understanding, and accepting wife, so My closet is as large as my home and a part of my yard, but the closet doors are open 24/7 as desired. I dress for me, and no one else, I don't need or want the validation, of trying to pass as a women in public, but I do need it within myself. I believe there is no right or wrong way to be a crossdresser, except not finding away to fulfill your own needs, that would feel wrong, but the rest, I believe you just have to make yourself happy. Of course, that's with out doing harm to anyone else.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

What is there to like about going out dressed and getting jeered and laughed at?
    Others here can say what they like about going out and being accepted by everyone. But I seem to be living in a sort of parallel world. It’s not like that in my world.
    No thanks.
    I am not a coward, I just know what I enjoy and what I don’t. Simple as that.

SUZY

I love my closet

You're still talking about "that" closet, right?

This closet you're praising...

Isn't that the one you wrote about "almost" getting busted in the other day?

It is... So, it isn't a sanctuary at all.

It would be unkind of anyone to allow you to delude yourself to your own harm.

But, we can if you insist.