Thread: "Can I ask a you something?"

"Can I ask a you something?"

I was shopping at the mall today when a woman about my age asked me that question. Bracing myself for the worst, I said "Sure," and with that she held up a top and two pair of pants and asked me which was the better match. Fashion advice from me? She thought I was another woman, so I got into it and asked her to hold up one, then the other, and then told her which one I liked the best. "That's what I thought too!" she smiled. If she only knew...

Those are the type of questions that cause all kinds of thoughts to race through your mind not really knowing what "that" question may be. It is so nice when you get that pleasant surprise of "it is not about me, it is about helping the other person"! I bet you get all kinds of questions like that. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, when I hear that question I duck and cover and try to escape and evade to another location! Rarely has anything good come from that question for me - I am glad it was different for you!
    I'M FREE, I'M FREE! I GET TO BE ME!

Way to go Windy! Sounds like she knew a friendy and pretty lady when she sees one! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Self esteem girlfriend day!!

It is a great feeling, often called "validation"!
    Hugs, Carole

I recently had an older woman at the local Jones New York store seek me out for my opinion on her outfit. She most definately knew I was I guy in a dress. It was a big personal milestone in my CD life.

Best,
    SS

You know, GGs are mostly nice & curious & interested in people and relationships. I wouldn't assume she was fooled. More likely she just asks everyone she meets questions, and enjoys the interactions. Also quite possible she was just doing reconnaissance. Still, it was nice of her, and I am happy for your positive experience!

Lainie

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Way to go, Cissy! It is nice to have your fashion sense used properly! Whether she knew you were a CD or not is immaterial! She wanted advice and got it!!

Over the years that I have been a CD, I have had both men and women ask me for fashion advice!! Of course now that I am always a male Stephanie I don't get asked very often by men. But I still get asked by GG's quite frequently!! Maybe they like the outfits that I wear in public!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Windy,
    Isn't it a great feeling when it is over but during the conversation it can cause the heart to beat a bit faster! I have had multiple inquiries for directions and opinions on a single trip to the mall a couple of times. It does help the ego and causes you to wonder if people are blind or if you are more passable than you thought. Congrats on handling the situation well.

Leann
    Leann

Enjoy who you are but stay safe.

Maybe she did know windycissy. If you projected class and common sense in your clothes, any one would ask for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by astropaw View Post
    Maybe she did know windycissy. If you projected class and common sense in your clothes, any one would ask for your advice.
    I suppose you're right...here's a picture I snapped before I left for the mall, does this project class and common sense?
    Attached Images Attached Images

When in doubt, look around find the person dressed nice, and has a sense of style, and ask their opinion, sounds like a normal day at the mall. Crissy that's a cute look, why not ask a woman dressed like you about a fashion question. And from your picture, and knowing the style worn in the area your in, you I would say you very well could have passed with out her knowing who you are.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Quote Originally Posted by windycissy View Post
    I was shopping at the mall today when a woman about my age asked me that question. Bracing myself for the worst, I said "Sure," and with that she held up a top and two pair of pants and asked me which was the better match. Fashion advice from me? She thought I was another woman, so I got into it and asked her to hold up one, then the other, and then told her which one I liked the best. "That's what I thought too!" she smiled. If she only knew...
    In my wildest dreams would that ever happen to me. Billie Jean

Gold Member
    When I get treated as a woman, I imagine one of two thingsm either -
    I am "passing" or
    They know but see I am presenting as a woman so they treat me that way, out of respect.

Believe it or not, I would rather think it was option two, "respect" cause that means a lot more than someone being fooled.

Wendy, whether she read you or not doesn't matter, she was polite. And you do look good in the photo, BTW. Nice casual outfit there, you have a fashion sense.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.