Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My God, you have very pretty hands!

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.

My God, you have very pretty hands!

There I was, talking with a friend at work in her cubicle. She has seen pictures of Kathi (though I wimped out a year ago when I showed her, I told her they were Halloween pictures. Sigh.) Still, she has told me multiple times, "You are a beautiful woman - no offense." (None taken - believe me! ).

Anyway, we were talking and she suddenly interrupted me by saying, "My God! You have such pretty hands! How do you keep your nails looking so good? Mine always break before they get anywhere near that long."

I hadn't realized how long they were getting as work has been incredibly busy, my wife is off at yet another conference, and life has just been hectic. I just don't pay much attention to them. So, I looked at the nails of my hand and she laughed and said, "Wow, you really are a girl! Here, let me show you how a guy looks at his nails" and she turned my hand around so it was palm up and curved my fingers so that my nails were touching my palm. "There!" she said. "That's how a guy does it. You keep doing it the way you did and your secret girly life will be out for sure!"

I must have blushed or something, because she changed the subject before I could even come up with a protest. Nothing more was said. It makes me wonder how many other mannerisms I unconsciously have. How did I look at my nails? The normal way, of course, like this:

Now I don't think my hands are that pretty. I see a big set of man-hands. I see icky hair, fat fingers, veins and tendons, etc. Sure, I added a coat of polish tonight to pretty them up for the picture (and changed to my other wedding ring), but that's as good as they get. Yes, my nails are a bit longer than average, but I like them that way. As long as I can still type, they're not too long to me. Well until my wife says, "OK, buster - either clip them or polish them. They're prettier than mine!" and of course I know when she says that that polishing them is not an option!

Well, I guess it's time to go and do the "guy thing" and clip my nails. Pity. They make great scratchers, and I do love to look at them - the right way, of course - wrist bent up, fingers splayed, and with a look of satisfaction.

Kathi

You do hane a very nice looking hand Kathi.
    Angie

Girl! you do have pretty hands! It's such a shame to clip those lovely nails!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

the happy camper
    They actually look a lot like mine, so I'm going to say "yes, they are very pretty!"

Your nails are at the perfect length, too, which for me usually means I'm going to break one any day. It also means that in another week they'll be too long. :/

You know you have ugly hands when your granddaughter plays with the bulging veins on the back of your hand. She was doing that just yesterday. Believe me, Kathi, you have very delicate looking hands compared to mine, long thin fingers, pale, and I don't see your hairy hands at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie86 View Post
    ? . . which for me usually means I'm going to break one any day.
    I actually broke the middle one a few days ago replacing the condenser in my car.

Quote Originally Posted by AllieSF View Post
    . . . when your granddaughter plays with the bulging veins on the back of your hand.
    My daughter loves playing with my prominent, bulging veins. Come to think of it, so does my wife. Right before she teaches her students about IVs, she'll practice on me.

Kathi

Your hands look fabulous, Kathi. Mine look like they belong on some odd variety of orangutan. Arthritis bumps, perma-dirt from being an outboard motor mechanic and hairy as all get out. Only in the slower winter months do my hands appear slightly better.

Chelsea Von Chastity gender_blender's Avatar
    Very nice. I hear that all the time along with compliments on my amazing nails.

Gold Member
    Well Kathi, you DO have very feminine hands, but I know what you mean about your own perception of them. When I see my hands done up with nail polish, I can see them as feminine looking, but without, they seem more manish. Hands are a hard thing to read, especially when you are the one trying to read them!

Kathi,i know whatyou are going through,last few weeks i'd grown mine for the first time ever and they were getting really long.i was really proud of them.then my 19yr old son said that i had nails like his mum,i got so embarrased because he dosen't know about Nikki,that i clipped them straight away,i was so looking forward to polishing them,but i don't want him to know about me.

Nikki

Awwww, Kathi, your hands really are pretty. But like Miranda said, sometimes it's hard to get beyond our own perceptions.

Amazing what a little polish can do, isn't it?

Funny you talk about the way we look at our nails, being a gendered thing and all that. It reminded me of a college psychology class where we had the requisite guest TG speakers. They brought up a guy and a girl from the lecture hall and asked both to look at their fingernails. And of course the girl splayed her hands like you did and the guy turned palm side up and bent his fingers inward. Then came the foot thing. Both were asked to look at the bottom of one of their shoes. The girl bent her leg back at the knee and looked over her shoulder to get a peek at the bottom of her shoe while the guy basically turned his knee outward and grabbed his ankle to get a look from the front.

Amazing how that whole thing works as well.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    Well, I guess it's time to go and do the "guy thing" and clip my nails. Pity. They make great scratchers, and I do love to look at them - the right way, of course - wrist bent up, fingers splayed, and with a look of satisfaction.

Kathi
    Kathi,

What a wonderful compliment! Do you REALLY want to do this?? I'm probably using feminine mannerisms more than I realize ... and I'm more comfortable doing so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

You have very pretty hands Kathi as others have commented. My nails have been growing and just this week I polished them with light pink and am wearing them at the office. I love the colour and shine to them.

Quote Originally Posted by gender_blender View Post
    . . . along with compliments on my amazing nails.
    And you keep wonderful care of your hands and nails, Charlie - don't you?! I'm sure it shows to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda09 View Post
    Hands are a hard thing to read, especially when you are the one trying to read them!
    Hands, face, body, legs, . . . everything! When we are our own judges, we do tend to se the 'worst' in ourselves, don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    . . . sometimes it's hard to get beyond our own perceptions.
    Big time!

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    Amazing how that whole thing works as well.
    Yes it is. It makes me think that whenever I am really doubting who and what I am, and my overall presentation at large, that I should seek opinions from anyone other than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Cook View Post
    Do you REALLY want to do this??
    Want to? Not necessarily. Will do? Yes. Eventually. Although I did move that color (Susie sells sushi by the seashore) to my toes.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Cook View Post
    I'm probably using feminine mannerisms more than I realize ...
    Me as well. It makes me wonder. One day I would love to ask someone at work, "OK, it's just you and me - tell me, what do people really think about me? What do you think about me?" I truly wonder how people see me. I think its glaringly obvious just who and what I am, since it seems to 'leak through' in my daily life. I wonder who notices?

Kathi
    Last edited by Kathi Lake; 06-21-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Kathi-- I must confess that I first thought the pic of your hands was actually a stock photo of a woman's hand. So, add me to the list of those who think you have pretty hands.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Loves ordinary miracles SuzanneBender's Avatar
    Kathi you hands look great! Madge would be jealous and yes if you get it you will know that I am dating myself with that one! I love your nail color and in my opinion your hands are petite and cute just like the rest of Ms. Lake. .

You know we are our own worse critics. I look at my hands and think fingers too spindly, hand to big, and we wont even mention the hair unless I keep them deforested. I have even been know to insist that they can fit in a small glove when I know deep down in my heart they are a medium or even (ooohhhh I can't belive I am going to say it) a large....

I was thinking the exact same thing Sara mentioned about how we look at our hands. I remember a very awkward moment in high school when I first found out about that fact. It was true when everyone looked at their nails every female held their hands out forward and every male flipped their hand over into a reverse fist, except me. I got such a razzing from my buddies for that one. Now we know that we are further proof of that fact.
    See yourself as a soul with a body not a body with a soul" Dr. Wayne Dyer

the happy camper
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneBender View Post
    Madge would be jealous and yes if you get it you will know that I am dating myself with that one!
    Umm... yeah, I, uh, saw that one on TV Land. Yeah... that's it. When I was a baby.

Umm... yeah, I, uh, saw that one on TV Land. Yeah... that's it. When I was a baby.
    Riiiiiiiiight! Hey, you know that lie? You're soaking in it!

Kathi

Your nails are at the perfect length which means that in another week they'll be too long. :/
    Ain't that the truth. I really hate to clip them when they get nice and pretty but between the wife and the rest of the world its best to keep them from getting too long.
    Sally

Quote Originally Posted by Sally24 View Post
    I really hate to clip them when they get nice and pretty but between the wife and the rest of the world its best to keep them from getting too long.
    Well, if it were only a question of length, it probably wouldn't be as much of an issue. However, I tend to keep them prettily-shaped and buffed to a high gloss as well. Hey, I'm just a well-kept guy. That's all! Hey, why are you looking at me that way? You know what way. That way - yeah, with that knowing smirk that says, "Oh, I so know all about you!"

Kathi

Hmm.....Got news for you girl. She knows!! Oh, and btw your hands are gorgeous too.

Aspiring Member
    Sheesh, I've gotten a reference like this before (from the only person that knows outside of the community other than my ex wife), but I guess it's not surprising. I just did the same thing and snapped a shot. No gloss, but my nails are longer than normal male.

almost 38 and most of my fingers have been broken from martial arts at one point or another. :/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mikaela; 06-21-2011 at 04:44 PM.
    —Mikaela

VERY pretty!!

And ouch! Your poor fingers. I hope 'the other guy' looked worse.

Kathi

Aspiring Member
    I've only broken my own fingers (boards, blocks, once as a kid in dodgeball). I've broken other people's bones. :/
    I don't fight any more, been 20 years.
    —Mikaela

You have beautiful hands! I wish mine looked that well. I keep mine fairly short and buff them to a high gloss. I don't have the courage let them grow.