Thread: Urban Myths and Legends

Aspiring Member

Urban Myths and Legends

Any one see the show today? It was about a woman picking up what she thought was another woman who was stranded in a bad part of town. Once the woman got in the car she figured out it was a transvestite and she feared for her life. So going forward she sees a male hitchhiker and picks him up so she can have some protection. As it turns out the hitcher pulls a gun on her but the quick thinking transvestite disarms and subdues the would be robber. Turns out the story was false but it was interesting

No, I didn't see that one. Too bad the story wasn't true. As such, it will have no traction, and no impact. On the other hand, I'm glad it's not true, because we have way too much of such violence in the world already without making up stories to bolster it.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Interesting. I used to be super into urban legends, I did research reports on them in school and everything, they're essentially modern day folklore. In the stories like this one, similar to the famous "Someone's in the back seat!" legend, typically a major element is playing up on someone's prejudices and such. Often the people the victim considered low class or inferior, or simply scary based on something they had no control over, such as a physical deformity or speech impediment, or in this case, being a transvestite, is the person who actually saves them.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

It's nice that it was bogus! But it also would been nice if 'she' had been a hero!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Silver Member
    Was this on the TLC channel by any chance? They had a show about urban legends many years ago (not many eps were made) and one was about a man dressed as an elderly woman and asked a young woman who asked her to for a ride, got in the car... and you can imagine the rest.

An account on one of those police shows (not an urban legend) some years back recounted how a crossdresser in a convenience store foiled a would be robber who pulled a gun on everyone by jumping him and getting him on the floor and disarming him. Apparently the robber didn't think the slimly built "girl" had the moxie to do anything, so it took him by surprise. Of course the CD was outed, especially when it was re-dramatized on national TV. I had nothing but total respect for that CD and his guts even when faced with the possibility of exposure.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Aspiring Member
    It was actually on bio.