Thread: You Just Never Know

You Just Never Know

This last April, I told my doctor and his staff that I am Genderqueer. The one that I thought was not going to take it very well, his nurse, took it great, and even commented that she hadn’t seen me smile so much in years.

Last week, I had to see my doctor about a Nasal Polyp, after the visit, his nurse, the one mentioned above, took me aside, and wanted to ask me a question. A friend of hers, also a patient, told her he wants to transition, she said, that she had no clue that he was transgender. Her friend asked her where he should begin, she told him she didn’t know, but, that she knew someone that might be able to help, guess who that was?

I told her that being Genderqueer, I have no desire to transition, but, I knew where to get the information. I burned several PDF files from support groups on ‘how to‘ information, and PDF files from several insurance companies that cover SRS. When I delivered it this week, she was extremely happy and gave me a great big hug.

You just never know, if I hadn’t come out to them, I would still be afraid of what my doctors nurse would think if she found out. And in coming out to them, it put me in a position to help someone else.
    "I am Yin & Yang, North & South, Night & Day, Feminine & Masculine" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64235483@N02/

You are so very right that you just never know when something that you have done or said will came back to you in some way. Yes, a few come back negatively, but so many come back so nicely like your own experience. I am a true believer in the "pay it forward" concept. So, I am always doing favors and just try to help people when I can with no expectation of any immediate return. Over time, I am sometimes amazed at some of my good luck, with very little of that directly connected to a specific prior instance of kindness or openness. Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by AllieSF; 06-25-2011 at 01:26 AM.

That is really cool to read. Good on you. It is really cool to help someone, and you did that very well.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

'People helping people' is a great life! You should be proud of yourself, as I AM PROUD OF YOU! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

So great to hear stories like this! Makes me feel less hopeless about my own issues and the world in general.
    I'M FREE, I'M FREE! I GET TO BE ME!

Quote Originally Posted by Intertwined View Post
    You just never know, if I hadn’t come out to them, I would still be afraid of what my doctors nurse would think if she found out. And in coming out to them, it put me in a position to help someone else.
    Good for you both. Paying it forward, good karma, etc; those things do seem to come back don't they?

I think most nurses are pretty open to most things. It's kind of a requirement of the "caring profession". We're all about making you better, physically, emotionally and spiritually. And we promise, whatever you tell us is always confidential and will only be used to provide the best care we can for you and yours.

That is awesome!!!

And I'm sure you passed along the info about this site, right???
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    That is awesome!!!

And I'm sure you passed along the info about this site, right???
    Yes, that was one of the links I included.

I am still... guess the word I am looking for is " Puzzled " I have been with this doctor and this same nurse for years, I have looked up things and gotten them information before, but, never gotten a hug from her before. Guess I am just wondering, is it because she is looking at me differently, or, it was really important that she get this information to her friend.
    "I am Yin & Yang, North & South, Night & Day, Feminine & Masculine" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64235483@N02/