Thread: Being read in public by someone you know

Being read in public by someone you know

I'm curious if any girls have been out n about and recognized my someone you knew? By someone who didnt know u dressed, that is Curious what happened? Did they tell the world after?

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Yes. In my early days, one of my more direct co-workers happened to see me in a skirt and blouse and with a couple of "add-a-cup" enhancers taped together. I didn't see him, but he mentioned it to me the next work day and the location and time he mentioned were spot on for where and when I had been. As far as I know he never told anyone at work.

A year-ish ago, someone who works in the same building saw me in my skirt in a department store. I have seen no hint that he even remembers now, or that he even noticed it was a skirt.

A couple of days ago, a less direct co-worker might have seen me in a mall, with me wearing a full flowery dress. I am not certain it was him, but his appearance is not common. We passed by each other at work today but neither of us said anything so I don't know if it was he.

I phrase the above in terms of co-workers because I'm pretty bold about going around town dressed, and even in the days when I used wigs people had no trouble at all recognizing me. As I've said from time to time, about the only place I have not gone dressed is my dentist (because when I go there I'm usually more preoccupied with getting the right bus!).

Once I walked right by a friend, and I don't think he noticed, because he didn't even really look at me as he walked by.

I did run into a sales manager when I was en femme at a lesbian bar once, though. I was an exec at the company, and lots of people knew who I was. We chatted but I didn't recognize her at the time since we'd never talked at work. Afterward I realized who she was (context is everything). We passed in the hall once after that, but it was strictly "don't ask, don't tell" I assume she wasn't out as a Lesbian, and God knows I wasn't out as a TG ...
    Last edited by dilane; 07-11-2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: a solecism

Most of my freinds have seen me,,, nothng major, no big deal, however, I've been labled the "crazy" one of our groupe.... but then again, I may have ohter contributing factors as well....

hasn't happened to me yet but I waked into the CVS in my hometown to buy greeting cards while en femme. The staff here is too oblivious to anything anyway. One day I'm going to get spotted in my own town.

I also have gone to a Barnes & Noble en femme a couple of times, and dealt with the same staff while in guy mode. No on noticed.

unless you reallly stick out most wouldnt know its you , heck my own cousnin was so preocupied at the mall that she glance at me my wife and my twins and said to her self wow they have twins and kept walking , she only stoped when i called her name, even then it took her a few seconds to recognize us and we see her all the time, not dressed of course. so unless your dancing or drawing attention most people dont care to put two and two together , i say this because i have gone out a few time dressed and people dont coment untill you say im a crossdresser then most of the time they tell you , you look good wow . so i wouldnt worry if u see someone or walk past them as long as it not tooo close that they reconize a birth mark or you voice or tat or something along them lines ,

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danielle.cd View Post
    unless you reallly stick out most wouldnt know its you ,
    Some people are exceptions to that; I happen to be one of them. There have been very few people who have met me in both modes who have not recognized me within a small number of seconds. At a distance. In a dim room.

The number of people who have been surprised / astonished to discover I am a cross-dresser: not many. The closest I've had to that was that I was once watching a woman who had met me (in guy mode) a small number of times before; it was obvious from her expression that she knew she knew me and was trying to "place me". And when she did place me, I saw in her expression a mental lightbulb going off, but not from having figured out who I was. Rather, I got the definite impression from watching her expression and her eyes that she had already known that there was something unusual about me, and seeing me actually cross-dressed "connected the dots" for her. An expression of "Of course! How could I have missed it before?!"

Nigella Irish TV Nigella Irish TV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danielle.cd View Post
    unless you reallly stick out most wouldnt know its you , heck my own cousnin was so preocupied at the mall that she glance at me my wife and my twins and said to her self wow they have twins and kept walking , she only stoped when i called her name, even then it took her a few seconds to recognize us and we see her all the time, not dressed of course. so unless your dancing or drawing attention most people dont care to put two and two together , i say this because i have gone out a few time dressed and people dont coment untill you say im a crossdresser then most of the time they tell you , you look good wow . so i wouldnt worry if u see someone or walk past them as long as it not tooo close that they reconize a birth mark or you voice or tat or something along them lines ,
    Nice post Dinielle. You look amazing by the way and nice that your family can share in your hobby
    Man its Hard being a woman

About two years ago, I was at Lenscrafters en femme getting fitted with a new pair of (girly) glasses. A University professor who regularly guest lectured in some of the classes I teach (and whose two sons were students of mine) was seated at the next table. She came right over, addressed me by my male name, and began a conversation about school and work and such as if nothing at all unusual was going on. It was bizarre on several levels, but distressing only because she recognized me so immediately -- I thought my "disguise" was better than that. I was surprised that I did not overreact, turn red, flee the scene or show any other sort of panic -- in fact, I rather enjoyed the encounter, in retrospect. This lady is a class act and extremely liberal socially and politically, so nothing was ever said after that, and our professional relationship continued for quite some time (until she moved last year) with no noticeable bumps at all. Now I should add that I display plenty of clues even in my day to day boy mode, so maybe it came as no surprise at all and is already common knowledge among my colleagues, but it was still an unexpectedly successful and amiable encounter. If you're reading this, Amy, thanks!

- Diane

Where I used to live there was a gravel car park before you got to the road and one night I'd gone out several times in different outfits to walk around. Tha last time I did it I was on my way back and saw my neighbour sitting out front of his house. I took the long route and went round the back but because I didn't have keys on my I couldn't go in the back door, so I had to wait for him to go back in. As soon as he did I quickly took my heels off and ran into the house. Only then did I notice that one of his curtains was pulled to the side, lol. I asked him a couple of days later if he'd seen me that night, he said yes but said no when I asked him if he'd noticed what I was wearing. I'm sure he did but nothing was ever said.

Aspiring Member
    If I had been ID'd while enfemme, no one has approached me. However, it is just a matter of time. I will eventually run into and be recognized by someone that knows my mother and then word will get back to her. I will have to come out to her soon. Just don't want to cause her a stroke at her age.

Recognition isn't something that would happen readily...unless the other person already suspects.
    While out and about we're very conscious of the fact that we are dressed, far more so than anyone we may meet in passing. No-one is expecting to meet a crossdresser, let alone someone they know.

At six foot six, I get noticed all the time in guy mode, and asked how tall are you? If i go out dressed up, and even in low heels, i tower over others, and they REALLY notice and gawk. So, i go out in public only a few times a year, and, i have the only 1976 blue and white Dodge in the region. Everyone knows who it is! When i was in the Seattle area, it was easier to be unknown. A few cashiers who saw me dressed, then a few days later saw me in guy mode, i did not mind , and told them it was me.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzannaB View Post
    Recognition isn't something that would happen readily...unless the other person already suspects.
    While out and about we're very conscious of the fact that we are dressed, far more so than anyone we may meet in passing. No-one is expecting to meet a crossdresser, let alone someone they know.
    I agree with this. Because we are putting ourselves in a position where we don't look as expected, a person is not as likely to make us if the exposure is relatively short. Given time, anything is possible. I have had 5 second or less exposure to multiple people I work with. Not a big deal. That gives a sense of confidence that the minute you recognize someone, just turn in another direction casually and it is no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by SuzannaB View Post
    All I can say is your spot on Suzanna especially the highlighted bits.

Years ago I walked right by a man that I worked with. He was the kind of guy that would talk about anything and anybody. We made eye contact and I was wearing a wig at the time. The fact that it was about ten below might have something to do with the fact that he didn't take the time to recognize me. I was very nervous about going to work on Monday because I was afraid of what he would say. He never said anything. WHEW!!!!

on more than a few occasions i have given myself a near panic attack thinking someone has recognized me from a cam site >.>
    so far no one has approached me, thank god lol

I went out for my early morning bike ride just before dawn this morning, but a few minutes later than usual. I wear a black spandex tank leotard to ride in, it feels so nice and there's no one out who would see me clearly at that hour. Maybe a few other bikers or joggers, but we just pass by in the gray morning light. There's a place I like to stop and get a breather, and it was starting to get light. I had a big surprise, one of my neighbors was out there jogging, she saw me and stopped to say hi. I talked with her for a couple minutes, and she said she liked my tan. My tan is complete enough that you can't see any tanlines in a high-cut leotard, so I guess she knows I like to ride my bike in a leotard, and I've been laying out in something skimpy. She probably has seen more if she ever looked, I tend to walk the house around in a nightie or a t shirt and panties.

I was a little embarrassed, but I don't think it showed. She's a nice gal, and I don't think she'll go blabbing it around. I also don't think there's anyone she could tell that would create a problem.

Yes, this is really me! shayleetv's Avatar
    In a bedroom community outside Salt Lake City, Utah.
    I went to a Halloween party that my wife and the hostess both had planed. It was a boy/girl,girl/boy reversal party. When we got there my wife thinking that I was looking to good decided to play a joke on her friend. She had me ring the door and be the only one at the door when it was opened. Her friend and her husband answered the door together and just stood there, finally asked if they could help me with something. It wasn't until I opened my mouth and said where's the party that they recognized me. I mean they were expecting me and knew I would be dressed as the opposite sex. In fact I had known the husband for at least 10 years, both he and his wife are the ones who introduced my wife and me to each other. I was an usher at his wedding and he at mine and he only recognized the voice.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your troubles, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt

On one of the rare occasions I get to fully dress to inc make up I ventured out for a night time drive. Pulling up at some lights, a car drew up behind me and flashed their lights. When the lights changed I moved off the car followed me. When shortly I turned right and the car behind went straight on I realized that it was someone I knew who had recognised my number plate. It would have been hard for them not to have seen the "female" driver. Was anything questioning said? No but I got the feeling that I'd been blown. And guess what, I'm still alive. How did that happen?
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Not yet but could be soon.

This past weekend was gay pride in Cincinnati. My G/F and I went to a local gay club to show our support and there was a local magazine photographer there, he asked to take our pic and I said what the hell. so sure enough Monday morning there was my pretty face all made up, plastered on there web site. Still awaiting the fall out (if any).
    [SIZE="1"]Quote of the week! "This badger on a stick stuff is going to have to stop! [/SIZE]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/66137661@N05/