Thread: transgender or crossdresser?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned Read only

transgender or crossdresser?

What is the difference between a transgender person ans a crossdresser?

Transgender is an umbrella term that covers the full spectrum, from crossdressers who wear clothing of the opposite gender to transexuals who transition to the opposite gender.

The definitions aren't carved in granite, but this is the common interpretation.

Here's a resource thread for you:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...-Abbreviations
    Last edited by Eryn; 07-12-2011 at 08:27 PM.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    Transgender is an umbrella term that covers the full spectrum, from crossdressers who wear clothing of the opposite gender to transexuals who transition to the opposite gender.

The definitions aren't carved in granite, but this is the common interpretation.

]
    She's right, as a know a few crossdressers who do not like being labeled transgendered. To them its not an issue of gender, but just a matter of clothing and fashion. Myself, I preferred the term transgender over crossdresser, in that even before I decided to transition, I knew it was entirely rooted in my gender identity and having a way to explain that it was gender related, like Transgender, was satisfying.

Both labels... I have an old Dymo label maker.... So I can change my label at will..
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Senior Member joannemarie barker's Avatar
    lmao I don't care what I'm called but I'm just laughing at Karens comment as per usual

Just getting my feet wet Marie-Elise's Avatar
    This was a question I was asking myself. Personally, I call myself a crossdresser. I know I am a man. I just like to wear women's clothes. No biggie.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Both labels... I have an old Dymo label maker.... So I can change my label at will..
    LoL As so often Karen has it coverd.

These definitions are more accurate (from oxforddictionaries.com):
    crossdresser: one who wears clothes of opposite gender
    transgender: denoting or relating to a person whose self-identity does not conform unambiguously to conventional notions of male or female gender.

I was always pressured to be transgendered as i am passable. But I realized, I love being a man and not shaving for a week and being able to do guy stuff. So i guess thats a big indicator! if you like scratching your junk and watching the game.. you might be a cd :P jk. jk.

I guess I've always kinda wonderd where I fit in in the so called list of labels.
    Curently I'm ugly 75% of the time out of nececity. (I'm thinking this makes one a CD?) However, if God would grant me the mirical of waking up in the morning as a real woman from the ground up for the rest of my life, I would be one happy camper! Of course, if I could afford to, I'd take matters into my own hands. (which to me would make me TS?) I'm not for sure on this, but it's a lable I'd galdly acept. I have a hard time thinkking of myself as just a CD.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaMarieYelton View Post
    She's right, as a know a few crossdressers who do not like being labeled transgendered.
    Agree. On the other hand, there are some on this forum (I can name names, but I won't) who have declared that they will no longer use the term "crossdresser" to describe themselves, but rather "transgender".

I adhere to the umbrella definition of trandgender(ed). There are some who have more narrowly defined transgender as one who has an internal feminine identity (it's not about the clothes) and is separate from a crossdresser (it's about the clothes).

For clarity when posting on the forum, I prefer to use the terms "identity dresser" and "pleasure dresser". Both are crossdressers, and by the umbrella definition both are transgendered, but I believe that identity dressers and pleasure dressers (as it relates to what drives the dressing) are fundamentally very different.

Transgender means you cross gender boundaries, and crossdressing means you wear clothes of the opposite sex. So, for example, if you wear makeup but with male clothes you are TG but not CD. CD is inherently TG.

Violet, I never thought of it like that, but I guess you are technically correct about the makeup. I much prefer to transform completely (wig, makeup, the works), but sometimes in the past I have not had enough private time to do so. Sometimes I have just put on makeup (sometimes lipstick only) but I always considered that to be a crossdressing activity, albeit an incomplete one. Of course, that's different than going out in guy clothes and wearing makeup.

Rianna, at this point I honestly don't think I am TS. That said, sometimes I do wonder if I'm headed in that direction. Some of the things associated with that, I empathize with when I am dressed.

I had never heard of this term bi-gender until now and I find the concept interesting. I personally find it somewhat confusing however, because I think that gender and sexuality are often used interchangeably. Honestly, I think there is a good reason for that. It's probably not the currently accepted view, but I feel that it's very difficult to ENTIRELY separate the issue of gender from sexuality. I could discuss that further, but I won't at this point.

The thing is this, as I said before, something intuitively tells me that it's possible that there could very well be a progression in stages from a person being bi-gender to becoming TS. I could very well be wrong, but I think wanting to be a person of the opposite gender exclusively is something that could very well develop as a person engages in more and more of the type of physical and emotional activity that is associated with the opposite gender. To give a crude example, two people can meet and fall in love instantly. But there is also the case of where two people meet, but over the course of time, by getting to know one another, they develop a strong attraction for each other. Anyway, that's just my opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Click here to experience the Ionis Supernova!

“Our senses enable us to perceive only a minute portion of the outside world.”

- Nikola Tesla

myself Crossdress I don't know why to tell the truth but totally rather see cd's. But in real life either or lol

Before i came to this site, i always consider myself a transvestite. To me a Crossdresser was a man who simple wore women clothes and made no attempt to be fem.. that was just my thinking at the the time i came here.. now i simple consider myself transgender, but as i have gotten more accpeting of being fem.. i am not sure i am not transexual. i work hard to be as fem as i can and i am attracted to men very much so... so guess i will see where this road goes.. someday i might just consider myself female...

SweetIonis,

In your earlier posts, you sounded genuinely interested in other people's perspective. In particular, I think you were trying to understand the term bi-gendered. Somewhere along the line things got pretty convoluted and it's no longer clear to me what your objective is. I don't have the time or inclination to re-read all the posts. At any rate, you seem to have become unglued. If you're looking for greater understanding or support, I would encourage you to start a new thread communicating as clearly as you possibly can. Please don't concern yourself with using complex vocabulary or getting the spelling right. That's not what matters here. You may want to consider a quote by Albert Einstein - "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."

Speck

Quote Originally Posted by Speck View Post
    SweetIonis,

In your earlier posts, you sounded genuinely interested in other people's perspective. In particular, I think you were trying to understand the term bi-gendered. Somewhere along the line things got pretty convoluted and it's no longer clear to me what your objective is. I don't have the time or inclination to re-read all the posts. At any rate, you seem to have become unglued. If you're looking for greater understanding or support, I would encourage you to start a new thread communicating as clearly as you possibly can. Please don't concern yourself with using complex vocabulary or getting the spelling right. That's not what matters here. You may want to consider a quote by Albert Einstein - "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."

Speck
    I would say that the use of the term "binbow" to describe those who do not conform to the conceptualization of a woman that you wish to impose upon the world is not even worthy of the words "intelligent fool". There are other words that would be more descriptive. What those words are, I'll leave as an exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    I did my best to interpret your words in order to engage in a meaningful discussion. Apparently, you see my interpretation as a hostile, embittered, rhetorical, patronizing, chauvanistic, feministic, religious, and malicious distortion.

It is clear that we cannot communicate. I'm finished with this thread.
    When an interpretation constantly contains the flaws of distortion of intent, it is no longer an interpretation, but rather an exercise meant to put forward a highly motivated agenda. The person responsible either deliberately engages in such activity or due to heavy emotional bias with regards to things like anger and envy cannot interpret properly. I noted and pointed out some of your distortions and hinted at a motivation. Motivation I could be wrong about. But the distortions, I was right on the money about. When you engage in that type of activity with regards to my words, I reserve the right to call it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- Nikola Tesla

Ionis:

"When an interpretation constantly contains the flaws of distortion of intent, it is no longer an interpretation, but rather an exercise meant to put forward a highly motivated agenda. The person responsible either deliberately engages in such activity or due to heavy emotional bias with regards to things like anger and envy cannot interpret properly. I noted and pointed out some of your distortions and hinted at a motivation. Motivation I could be wrong about. But the distortions, I was right on the money about. When you engage in that type of activity with regards to my words, I reserve the right to call it."

You couldn't be more wrong about someone.

She is one of the most thoughtful, well balanced, supportive, patient women on this site.
    She's the kind of person whose natural niceness is eclipsed only by her absolute lack of hostility.
    [SIZE="4"]Momarie[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Momarie View Post
    Ionis:

"When an interpretation constantly contains the flaws of distortion of intent, it is no longer an interpretation, but rather an exercise meant to put forward a highly motivated agenda. The person responsible either deliberately engages in such activity or due to heavy emotional bias with regards to things like anger and envy cannot interpret properly. I noted and pointed out some of your distortions and hinted at a motivation. Motivation I could be wrong about. But the distortions, I was right on the money about. When you engage in that type of activity with regards to my words, I reserve the right to call it."

You couldn't be more wrong about someone.

She is one of the most thoughtful, well balanced, supportive, patient women on this site.
    She's the kind of person whose natural niceness is eclipsed only by her absolute lack of hostility.
    That's quite possible because I really don't know her. But for sure she took my words and distorted them and that's an indisputable fact. The tone was set right off the bat when she conjectured/implied that I thought I was a TS, after I clearly said that I do not think of myself in that way. There was NOTHING in my words that implied that I thought I was. And since she took the liberty to go that far out in her interpretation, I felt I was at liberty to offer an interpretation on motive, and although you say I'm wrong, and I said previously, and will admit again that I COULD BE WRONG, at this point I don't THINK I am. She said what she felt, I said what I felt about it. I honestly don't hate her for it. Actually I still like her believe it or not. I think she exercises quite a bit of restraint, more than most of the people that I come in contact with. But that said, I really haven't seen anything to make me feel any differently about what was said. So that's where we stand.
    Last edited by SweetIonis; 07-30-2011 at 11:15 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- Nikola Tesla