Thread: Well, that was awesome.

Talking Well, that was awesome.

My parents know that I like to crossdress. Today, they called me to their room, and asked me if I wanted to be a professional drag queen.
    I've been told by several people before that I would be great at it, but it's surprising to hear my parents say it.
    They said that they would pay for singing and dancing lessons, shoes, clothes, makeup, and jewelery.

They even said that I could practice my makeup techniques every day.
    I'm ecstatic about this!
    "Move along people, there's nothing to see here."

You have awesome parents but I'd look into how much Drag Queens make. Standard of living. Life expentcy!! Job opertunities!! May be fun as a hobby but not something you could make a living at!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Hmmmm, sounds like the name "Tara in the Closet" is in need of a change.

Kathi

I agree with Karen no much future or profit in Female impersonation but it sure is fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

follow your bliss

Life is to short to not do the things you love. Either it won't matter that you don't make lots of money or you will find a way.
    [SIZE="2"]
    I give you a new commandment, that you love one another.
    Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]
    John 13:34
    [/SIZE]
    Find me: Google+

It's just a little shocking when I suddenly find myself in a situation most girls would die for.
    I mean, lots of new shoes, clothing, jewelery, and makeup, along with an accepting family? I feel incredibly lucky.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    There is no reason that you have to pursue only one career. It is clear you will make some income as a performer, but it will probably need to be supplimented in the beginning at least.

However, wow...what an opportunity!!! Enjoy your life!!!

tina

So tell them it might be a good idea. You and them should go out and buy all the stuff you'll need and give it a try at home for a while. before spending money on all the lessons. "Just for you, mom and dad"
    Of course after trying it out and listening to Karens advice about future, you might have to tell the folks you'll probably be better of going to college. WITH YOUR NEW CLOTHES!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    Hmmmm, sounds like the name "Tara in the Closet" is in need of a change.

Kathi
    The reason that that is my username is because my computer desk is in my closet. It's cozy, to say the least.

I agree you should look into it as a hobby but not as a career. Money wise it probably makes about as much as an average cover band, because that's essentially what you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    You have awesome parents but I'd look into how much Drag Queens make. Standard of living. Life expentcy!! Job opertunities!! May be fun as a hobby but not something you could make a living at!!
    Hmmm...I dunno...??? That career choice seems to have worked out O.K. for RuPaul, Frank Marino, Jim Bailey and Dame Edna, among others.

You should follow your heart. If you want to try being a professional drag queen, then go for it. It sounds like your family is supportive.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    Hmmm...I dunno...??? That career choice seems to have worked out O.K. for RuPaul, Frank Marino, Jim Bailey and Dame Edna, among others.
    Lol. I just went through this with my two kids. Doing what you love is great but making a living at it is another thing. After 4 years, two colleges, two trade schools.... The son starts his job as an auto mechanic today. The daughter... 6 years of college... Graduates next month... Hopefully she can get a job soon... Both will be off my payroll and on someone else's. Finally!!

Maybe its just the analytical engineer talking here but in this job market you really research where the jobs are and what's a growing field and what's not. Assuming you like to eat and buy pretty things!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    That's like if your kid joins a rock band and people tell him "You won't make a living doing that" to which you respond "Well it worked for Van Halen and Led Zeppelin!"

Just getting my feet wet Marie-Elise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VioletJourney View Post
    That's like if your kid joins a rock band and people tell him "You won't make a living doing that" to which you respond "Well it worked for Van Halen and Led Zeppelin!"
    Exactly. I mean, follow your dreams but be realistic.

That sounds great! Most drag performers I know have a "day job" too.
    Sally

Having parents' support is great, but is being a drag queen YOUR dream? Or do you just want acceptance and support for being a crossdresser?

Wow-How lucky can a person get ? I would suggest you begin by being so nice to your parents they can't stand it. hehehe
    Then have fun with life and practice practice practice.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Regardless of how it works out on the performance side, you need to tell your folks how much you appreciate their love and support. I think you will find a lot of us who would have lived different lives if our parents were as open and supportive as yours seem to be. They are very special people.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Gold Member
    Well, yeah kind of see what the income for a drag queen is. A lot of them do seem to make decent cash but how much of that do they have to put BACK into their job for new outfits, more makeup, etc?
    Plus you wouldn't need singing lessons, most of them just lip-sync to the songs.
    On the OTHER hand, you have something right now that is more important than anything - knowing they accept you for who you are.
    Of course yes being able to dress or do makeup every day sounds like a dream but what you are getting into in that case is "full time" and let me tell you, "full time" gets tiresome real quick. Me, I could dress up and do make up every single day if I wanted but I seldom bother. Too much hassle. With anything, once a hobby becomes a job or expectation, the fun is soon gone.

Most important is kind of get into the clubs or places drag queens perform and find out what they have to say. Just one single obscure example I heard was - this DQ I was chatting with said she had made $90 that night (for maybe a 6 hour night) but said a good portion of her income went back into clothes and makeup anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by VioletJourney View Post
    Yeah but true stardom is such a longshot. I think at some point we all had dreams of fame that couldn't possibly come true. I know I had one when I was younger.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.