Thread: In praise of going out & about...(as in making friends)

In praise of going out & about...(as in making friends)

There has been much (heated) debate of late regarding the virtues of staying in the closet. This is not intended to rekindle that debate. Rater, I wanted to take a moment to share what taking this thing of ours on the road has meant to me.

Not counting a few Halloweens in college, I first went out in my early 20's. Why? Good question but curiously, it was never a question that I had to ask myself. I just did it, going out seemed like something that HAD to be done. I guess that in looking back, my attitude was the same as it is now. I simply needed a place to "be". Mercifully, I took zero pictures back in those days as I'm sure many of my outfit choices would give me serious pause today (as in I overdressed, something that many of us do in our early outings).

Where did I go? Malls here and there. Support groups were more prevalent back then as I went to PPOC, Born Free & Neutral Corner fairly regularly. I also happened into an upscale consignment shop, probably when I was approaching my late 20's. The owner was a young woman who happened to be about my age. She was a trained makeup artist and became a good friend. I became a very loyal customer and she taught me much about style. One year she even got a booth for the weekend at a TG convention in Burbank called California Dreaming which goes to show how she embraced our community.

During this time, I did not cultivate any other TG friendships. Good gosh, I couldn't dream of giving my home phone number to anyone in order to keep in contact. And it was right before I came to know the internet in terms of using something like email to keep in contact with others. So there is really no one from that time that I can remember as far as friends, let alone acquaintances.

But another thing happened as the late 90's got into full swing. My friend above packed up her shop and moved to Colorado. Sadly, despite having her number, I never kept in touch. Might have been that phone issue again. More importantly though, my first child was born and just as going out was not a conscious decision, I ended up not going out for several years thereafter. It's just something that happened.

Fast forward to sometime as the mid-2000's approached. I decided to get back out into this wonderful world of ours. I had learned of a TG boutique in LA called Countessa's Closet, a place which didn't horrify me like other TG boutiques had in the past. It was a classy place, as far as these places go. It became a place to hang out. I only bought a set of breast forms from that store and it happens that I never tried on a single article of clothing there. Her styles are as nice as they come when it comes to a TG boutique but I pretty much shop wherever I wish so her clothing never really spoke to me. But it was a safe place, albeit boring. Countessa and I would go out for a drink here and there after she closed up shop for the day but other than that, I still had yet to make any true friends in our community.

This changed in December of 2006 when out of the blue I decided to reconnect with one of my old support groups, Neutral Corner in San Diego. At this holiday event, I met Kim and her and I became fast friends. So bringing this long story to a close, I have met so many others from our community who I call dear friends, Erica, Suzanne, Roberta & Diane, and I'd be remiss to not mention Christine . Then there are others from NC and still more from DLV (including some wonderful people from these pages whose friendship I absolutely cherish despite having met only once). There are the handful of women who have become true friends as well. Most important of these people is Diana, one of my best friends out there. Finally, there are those from these pages who I have yet to meet but I would still call them true friends, knowing that it's only a matter of time until the stars align and we are able to get together in person (those who this applies to know exactly who they are ).

The moral of this whole thing is that my life has been enriched beyond my wildest imagination by simply making friends. Solo outings are few and far between as there is always someone to hit the town with. So if going out is a choice that is good for you, I encourage everyone to make the effort to seek out others in our community. Life is a blast when shared with others. Why should our TG existence be any different?

For all of my friends...
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Looking forward to doing just that here in the Raleigh area.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I spent my many years in the closet and in many ways I'm still there with local trips out only to support group meetings. Out of town I did my share of solo trips until the stars aligned properly and I started meeting other TG people and striking up friendships. Honestly I find the time spent in the company of sisters to be one of the joys in life I never would have experienced without leaving my house. I still spend more dressed hours alone than out and I'm happy with that. However I also get out on my own and it's always enjoyable, but to share time with someone who knows and understands some of what I feel is a special experience. Sara, one of these days I'll get that trip to San Diego in where I'm not totally committed to spending it with family and maybe you can show me around a little.

Since I've accepted my crossdressing as okay, It's all good. Some of it's just a little "gooder" than others.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Sara,

You are entirely correct. After a time, it isn't about the clothes, the shoes, the makeup and other trappings of femininity (though they sure are fun!), but instead it becomes all about the relationships we make. Friendship has always been a motivator for me. I'm one of those touchy-feely 'sensitive men' that seemed to be all the rage years ago. Nothing makes me happier than making and maintaining friendships.

Like Sarah, I too will get to San Diego one day. There I will finally meet in-person an incredible friend that I have only corresponded through via e-mail and this board. You know who you are.

Kathi

Gold Member
    Yeah at first just being out in public en femme is a blast, even if for those late night drives in a quiet part of town.
    You do get to, "OK I went out dressed, now what?"

I've had much luck making TG friends or any type in real life. I have tried, especially with other TG women (the few who are close to my age) but it is just hard. People think sitting around on some social network site is a replacement for an actual social life. Sucks. From age 21 to 35 I was married and you know what that can do to your enjoyment of having your own life. So I am still trying to recover from that.

The few TG I have met who seem to want to be real life friends tend to live like over an hour away.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Sara
    You are right I haven't been out with others often enough. I still make solo trips which are always fun but not as much as with friends. We may have met in the past I use to frequent Neutral Corner a bit back in the 90's and I thought it had gone away but I have recently heard it does still exist. So I will be getting back to it in the fall for sure. If you get out in SD again let me know and maybe we can meet up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Hi Sara,
    Neutral Corner group still meets the third Saturday at coco,s on El Cajun Blvd. and Oregon St. at 6:00pm. O my that's this Saturday night!

You did hit the nail on the head, friendship is the human bond in all our lives and relationships. Every one of our life memories involve friends, family and relationships. I to find myself out and about for many years now and always cherish the interaction meeting people. I realize that many on this forum are unable to get out, but I believe that the more of us that do go out in public help open that door for others by educating the people we meet and telling about our adventures on this forum.

Hope to meet you some day!

Best Wishes
    Robin Lee

Gold Member
    This sounds a lot like the things I say often. Getting out dressed is great, but being able to make the friendships, both with people who are local to me and those who aren't, is what truly enriches life.

Sara, it is looking like we need to setup a Utah roadtrip to Southern California!

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    . . . it is looking like we need to setup a Utah roadtrip to Southern California!
    Sounds lovely! It is definitely in my 'someday' bucket.

Sadly, I'll be in San Diego in a month for my *cough* 30th high school reunion, but it's a quick in and out, so I won't have time for any fun of a girlish nature. Again - someday it will happen.

Kathi

I envy you.

I once had a group of friends I went out with many moons ago. Clubbing, shopping, hanging out. Sadly, one by one, they all faded away for some reason or another. This was a long time ago and with my life getting busier and having no one to hang out with anymore I eventually faded back into the closet as well.

Reading these posts make me so sad sometimes. Friends are difficult to make for me. I seem to be invisible.
    Last edited by SabrinaDubh; 07-19-2011 at 01:11 AM.

Yesterday, my planned trip to SD was abandoned for an outing which was much closer to home. What started with no plan ended up being spent with friends. Power shopping for several hours with a new friend who is beyond sweet, not to mention stunning. Although she is one of us, I cannot help but think that if there was any TG to be read during that outing, it was certainly me, tagging along with a "gg" friend. That is how wonderful she presents. And although I didn't buy a single thing, she was on a mission which was so much fun!

I then stopped at my boutique on the way home, simply to say hello to my buddy who only works on Saturdays. She made my day as when I walked in the door, she smiled (as she always does) but then said "well hello beautiful"!!! Turns out the owner took the day off and I found myself staying and talking for over two hours. She is yet another wonderful true friend to add to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Charles View Post
    Sara, one of these days I'll get that trip to San Diego in where I'm not totally committed to spending it with family and maybe you can show me around a little.
    I would be happy to Sarah, hope you can make it happen someday.

And remember, I'm actually closer to Los Angeles than SD, if you ever make it to that part of town.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    You are entirely correct. After a time, it isn't about the clothes, the shoes, the makeup and other trappings of femininity (though they sure are fun!), but instead it becomes all about the relationships we make. Friendship has always been a motivator for me. I'm one of those touchy-feely 'sensitive men' that seemed to be all the rage years ago. Nothing makes me happier than making and maintaining friendships.
    What you are saying Kathi kind of reminds me of the long dinners Christine and I used to have. We'd just talk, and drink a glass of wine or two, and eventually eat, and then talk some more, closing down the restaurant more often than not. And I'd say to her that I just couldn't imagine communicating in such a way with my guy friends. It's not that I couldn't do so, such behavior should transcend gender presentation. More like it's the other half of the conversation (the guy friend) who would implode under such verbal pressure.

Like Sarah, I too will get to San Diego one day. There I will finally meet in-person an incredible friend that I have only corresponded through via e-mail and this board. You know who you are.
    I have an idea as to who this is !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Erin View Post
    The few TG I have met who seem to want to be real life friends tend to live like over an hour away.
    Nicole, my friend Kim is a good hour & forty minutes away. Don't let distance make friendship a non-starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sallee View Post
    ...We may have met in the past I use to frequent Neutral Corner a bit back in the 90's and I thought it had gone away but I have recently heard it does still exist. So I will be getting back to it in the fall for sure. If you get out in SD again let me know and maybe we can meet up.
    I went to NC several times back in the 90's when it was held at the King's Inn or something like that. You should contact the group to see about returning. They used to just put the meeting info out there for anyone to attend, including location, but now they only advertise the date. I think the new protocol is to establish contact beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Lee View Post
    Neutral Corner group still meets the third Saturday at coco,s on El Cajun Blvd. and Oregon St. at 6:00pm. O my that's this Saturday night!
    Yes, the meeting was last night. So much for the group keeping the location under wraps !!! I was trying to attend last night because while in the past few years I'd usually make it to about two out of every three meetings, this year I don't think I've been there since January. Unfortunately, I was down in SD the day before at the Zoo and I knew I'd be super tired in trying to make a return trip the next day. Maybe next month!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    This sounds a lot like the things I say often. Getting out dressed is great, but being able to make the friendships, both with people who are local to me and those who aren't, is what truly enriches life.

Sara, it is looking like we need to setup a Utah roadtrip to Southern California!
    Oh wouldn't that be fun!!!

Sounds lovely! It is definitely in my 'someday' bucket.

Sadly, I'll be in San Diego in a month for my *cough* 30th high school reunion, but it's a quick in and out, so I won't have time for any fun of a girlish nature. Again - someday it will happen.

Kathi
    30th??? You look like you should be attending your 20th tops. You can't be over 40. Oh I get it, you were one of those genius kids who graduated high school at the age of 10!!!

However, you know this is potential for a golden missed opportunity Kathi.
    Last edited by Sara Jessica; 07-17-2011 at 10:00 AM.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    . . . You can't be over 40.
    Nearing 50 my friend, but thanks! I credit clean living.
    Oh I get it, you were one of those genius kids who graduated high school at the age of 10!!!
    Nope. Missed that moniker by a point or two. I was merely 'gifted' and graduated only a year early.
    However, you know this is potential for a golden missed opportunity Kathi.
    Yes, however, I don't think my wife is ready to make a trip with his and hers and hers suitcases just yet.

Kathi

Loves ordinary miracles SuzanneBender's Avatar
    It isn't about the clothes, the shoes, the makeup and other trappings of femininity (though they sure are fun!), but instead it becomes all about the relationships we make.
    Kathi your sage wisdom betrays your youthful beauty!!! You are so right. The trappings of femininity are fun, but they are secondary to the relationships that blossom in our lives once we start stepping out and sharing with our sisters. Our shared trials and tribulations as well as the rarely understood joys that accompany who we are become strong ties that foster wonderful bright relationships. Combine this with the intimate sharing that we are allowed to do in our feminine roles and viola you have lifetime friends.

Life is about the people you meet and the things and memories that you create with them. I am blessed to have met many wonderful women that I will count as friends for the rest of my life. These memories range from sharing via email and chats to laughing and crying at conferences. They even include helping each other find the perfect shoes and then sharing stories of family and life over a glass of wine and dinner. I shudder to think about the friendships that I would have missed out on had I stayed in the closet. Moths just don't make very good friends, especially in a musty old closet.

Count me in on the Utah to San Diego road trip (I'll be looking for friends to share the drive from Kansas to Utah ). Maybe we could even make a week a DLV happen!
    See yourself as a soul with a body not a body with a soul" Dr. Wayne Dyer

Sara,

A well written story of your life and attitudes about who you are. After meeting you at DLV I felt as if I had known you for years and eagerly look forward to getting together with you again. Others that read what you have written have to know that you are a well founded person that knows who she is and who she wants to become. You are an inspiration for many of us, even old broads like me.

...The moral of this whole thing is that my life has been enriched beyond my wildest imagination by simply making friends. Solo outings are few and far between as there is always someone to hit the town with.
    Yes, you are so right. I very rarely go out alone, it's not much fun -- the exception being when I've found some great outfits . I've also cultivated many non-Trans people as friends.

See you Monday at the Bev Center

-- Diane

Sara, you are right in every word.
    ...and I'm with you.
    The closet life is simply not enough for me. Nathalie is a part of me, and intended to make her as social as possible. I've gone out solo, and I have joined TG support groups, and I have gotten together with many tg folk, and have done everyhting.
    Many of my best friends know about me, and a few have even invited Nathalie to get together, which will happen. This is another dimension to my life that, for the last few years, I have grown to enjoy beyond my wildest expectations. The social aspect makes it so worth it.
    We're all not perfect, and I don't look as good as Jennifer Anniston, but that does not matter. All that matters is this is who I am.
    I'm livin' it and being who i want to be.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica
    There has been much (heated) debate of late regarding the virtues of staying in the closet.
    [SIZE="2"]One thing I’ve learned on this site is that crossdressers who “get out” have a stilted view of crossdressers who “stay in.” I also do not wish to rekindle a debate that ultimately goes nowhere, but I need to say that YOUR circumstances are different from MY circumstances. Going out to meet other crossdressers is pretty much out of the question for me – I don’t have the time, the resources, the patience, or the physiological makeup to be as free-wheeling as you are. Indeed, it (an outgoing nature) has never been an aspect of who I am. I became a crossdresser because of my “private” personality, and I like to keep to myself – it has absolutely nothing to do with fear, and the term “in the closet” is rather misleading. I simply prefer to do my crossdressing out of sight, and not “spread” myself around, so to say. Dressed or drab, I have few friends, and those I do have I keep at arms length. Sad but true, I suppose, but that’s WHO I am. I'm an individual with a difference...

It would be completely out of character for me to travel somewhere en femme, meet a group of males dressed as women, and attempt to enjoy myself. It’s safe to say that you’re at a different level than I am, and I would be out of place amongst successful crossdressers like you, but, at the end of the day, I’m just more comfortable by myself, with myself, being myself. I would rather go somewhere alone, in the clothes that I worship, and gain a kind of spiritual peace as I “off” the male by choice. This is a private undertaking, and being among others who do not seek such meditative release would diminish “me” by half, or two-thirds, or more, getting exponentially worse the more individuals I happen to be with. By all means have your get-togethers and enjoy yourself, but please realize that some of us do not seek out or require companionship. I like (read: love) being by myself, alone with my thoughts, together forever. I’m not actually in a closet, but it is nearby – that’s where my femme clothes happen to be...
    [/SIZE]

The moral of this whole thing is that my life has been enriched beyond my wildest imagination by simply making friends. Solo outings are few and far between as there is always someone to hit the town with. So if going out is a choice that is good for you, I encourage everyone to make the effort to seek out others in our community. Life is a blast when shared with others. Why should our TG existence be any different?
    [SIZE="2"]If there are any “others” in my community, they are highly invisible, just like me. For the sake of all the thoughtfully shy individuals out there, I wish to say that “life is a blast” according to your own standards of measurement. In my town, there is no town “to hit,” so I would have to drive through hostile territory to reach a city which might actually house a transgendered "community.” Is it worth the effort, when I can easily converse with representatives of the entire transgendered spectrum right here, while sitting next to the air conditioner (its 105°+ today)? My life has not been enriched by friends, so I’m a bit cautious in this regard – I’ve been betrayed, led astray, or injured (physically and mentally) by so-called “friends” many times. Crossdressing, with its clandestine nature and necessary emotional incorporation, has been a miracle for me, no friends required. I also happen to be “head over heels in love with life,” because I go it alone (by choice). That is the moral of my "whole thing." Your way may not, or cannot, be MY way, but I do not hold it against you in any way...
    [/SIZE]

Yes, however, I don't think my wife is ready to make a trip with his and hers and hers suitcases just yet.
    Such a good point you make here Kathi.

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneBender View Post
    Kathi your sage wisdom betrays your youthful beauty!!! You are so right. The trappings of femininity are fun, but they are secondary to the relationships that blossom in our lives once we start stepping out and sharing with our sisters. Our shared trials and tribulations as well as the rarely understood joys that accompany who we are become strong ties that foster wonderful bright relationships. Combine this with the intimate sharing that we are allowed to do in our feminine roles and viola you have lifetime friends.

Life is about the people you meet and the things and memories that you create with them. I am blessed to have met many wonderful women that I will count as friends for the rest of my life. These memories range from sharing via email and chats to laughing and crying at conferences. They even include helping each other find the perfect shoes and then sharing stories of family and life over a glass of wine and dinner. I shudder to think about the friendships that I would have missed out on had I stayed in the closet. Moths just don't make very good friends, especially in a musty old closet.

Count me in on the Utah to San Diego road trip (I'll be looking for friends to share the drive from Kansas to Utah ). Maybe we could even make a week a DLV happen!
    Very well said Suzanne, I'm so glad you took a moment to reply. You captured the essence of my little tale in just a couple paragraphs...not to mention reinforced the fun road trip plan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alice B View Post
    Sara,

A well written story of your life and attitudes about who you are. After meeting you at DLV I felt as if I had known you for years and eagerly look forward to getting together with you again. Others that read what you have written have to know that you are a well founded person that knows who she is and who she wants to become. You are an inspiration for many of us, even old broads like me.
    I can't wait to see you again Alice and am excited to know that it will likely be well before next year's DLV (which BTW, can you believe the first DLV ORG email for 2012 just arrived???).

Your words pay me such a compliment for which I'm not so sure I'm worthy but please know this, that I'm so glad that you might take even a hint of inspiration from me. I have certainly been inspired by you.

Quote Originally Posted by NathalieX66 View Post
    Sara, you are right in every word.
    ...and I'm with you.
    The closet life is simply not enough for me. Nathalie is a part of me, and intended to make her as social as possible. I've gone out solo, and I have joined TG support groups, and I have gotten together with many tg folk, and have done everyhting.
    Many of my best friends know about me, and a few have even invited Nathalie to get together, which will happen. This is another dimension to my life that, for the last few years, I have grown to enjoy beyond my wildest expectations. The social aspect makes it so worth it.
    We're all not perfect, and I don't look as good as Jennifer Anniston, but that does not matter. All that matters is this is who I am.
    I'm livin' it and being who i want to be.
    As I often say, just "being" is worth it's weight in gold. It's not so much about what we might wear or where we go (but as Suzanne points out, that stuff is too much fun!!!)...it's about the complete package which includes friendships. Friendships which not only enhance the feminine experience but also transcend it, bringing in other things such as family, career, common interests, etc....just like any other women relate to one another, imagine that? One thing I've said before is that simply being trans is not necessarily enough to sustain a friendship. It's those other things that enter the picture which create lasting bonds.

So if you ever find your way to the left coast, you be Jennifer, I'll be Anne (Hathaway) in our own fabulous way and we can paint the town in our unique colours . This is Hollywood but at the same time, it's the big city and/or suburbia, places where we can simply "be".

Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    One thing I’ve learned on this site is that crossdressers who “get out” have a stilted view of crossdressers who “stay in.” I also do not wish to rekindle a debate...
    First of all Freddie, you know I enjoy your writing and do consider you a friend in these pages. And understanding your POV, I know this is where the friendship will remain. I am all good with that.

That said, please give me a little credit. First of all, I have chimed in on said "closet" thread(s) in support of anyone's decision to remain anchored in such a place. IMHO, closet dwellers do not owe anything to our community, just as I owe nothing more than my own individual brand of interactions to further our cause, be it one Muggle at a time. In other words, you won't find me at high profile events, marching in parades, etc. That stuff happens to be outside of my comfort zone.

So being a TG woman who gets out, I have no stilted view of those who stay in, as you suggest.

The words you have presented overall have a place in this thread as a contrast to my experiences, a heartfelt expression of an alternate POV. But please know that I detect an undercurrent which might suggest that I am out of bounds in presenting such a case. This whole thing isn't a right or wrong issue, or one filled with pressure for others to conform to my reality. It's simply a tale about friendships over the years. Read in my last paragraph..."So if going out is a choice that is good for you..." I am nothing but sensitive to the situations others find themselves in which is why I was a bit taken aback by the vibe of your post, not to mention the you closed with.