Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever feel like you were supposed to be a woman from a different Era

Do you ever feel like you were supposed to be a woman from a different Era

I think I was meant to be a young girl during the forties and fifties and learn proper ediquate, posture, and how ladies are supposed to look and act, but mostly to be able to play dress up as young girls should do with their moms clothes.

For my teen years, well those are mostly in the fifties, to be able to enjoy those wonderful pencil skirts and wiggle dresses with the must have girdle worn underneath molding your shape. Those old "Bullet Bras" are simply amazing under a tight sweater. Ah...Pleaseantville. Plus those wonderful full skirts and dresses with their delightfuly layered crinoline slips.

As a young lady and maturing into a woman with a full curvaceous figure, that time was dirung the late fifties and into the sixties. With girdles still popular and having been taught that a lady always wears a firm control girdle and lingerie I continue to do so and choose tight fitting wiggle dresses, pencil skirts, and figure hugging sweaters as the staples in my wardrobe. As a young woman I have the opportuniy to go to quite a few balls and pagents so I have a great many glamourous evening and ball gowns in my wardrobe. I just adore getting all dressed up in a glittery figure hugging gown with shoulder length gloves and all that wonderful bling from that time period, the more the better.

Now at the end of the evening it is time to put on my sleeping corset for ongoing figure training and a wonderfully whispy Peignoir while wearing my Marabou Slippers around the hose before slipping into bed.

Sweet Dreams

Thats pretty much the high point of the period in time I think I was supposed to be a woman in.

So, take a deep breath, relax, and discuss what era you think you were meant to be a woman in.
    Last edited by Suzy Parker; 07-22-2011 at 01:34 AM.

I started dressing in the 60s so I probably be most comfortable back then. I have a recurring dream of going back to when I was 5 or 6, still knowing what I know now, and getting a do over--kinda Frank Capraesque.

Not really. I'm happy with modern clothes and choices. Though I have always wondered who the first woman was that decided to add some lace and cut the sleeves off and make a plunging neck line on their toga vs what the men were wearing at the tome? Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I like modern styles, but styles from the 60's and 70's DO perk my interest.

Hi,

Well i dress in the 1900 = 1910 Edwardian , & i like the 1400 = 1700 Renaissance time & as a chatileine , or lady of the castle = mistress
    this of cause is more me well im weird so why not. i love it , i design & make my clothes & i have so many id like to do & wear.

The plunging neck line. yes well i can do that , tho not voluoptous, he he , ......

As an after thought how did you get those lovely pics on here i just have nothing but problems trying to. something i cant do.

...noeleena...
    Last edited by noeleena; 07-22-2011 at 06:29 AM.

I'm with Suzy on this one. And those full skirts and petti's help us fill out our figure where most of us need it! If I has a time machine/gender changer, I would go to being a teen girl in 1950...

I'm definitely a 20's to 40's girl those fashions were amazing and bullet bra's are to die for, if only !!
    [SIZE="3"]Lots of love Gina X[/SIZE]

If you sit near the river for long enough eventually the bodies of your enemies will float by......Chinese Proverb
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing !!
    People who think they know everything, are especially annoying to those of us who do

Well, if you were a girl back then I bet you would hate the ways you have to conform and obey mans word like a good puppy or else. We often look upon long gone era with nostalgia not entirely realizing full gravity of what life really was back then. Of course if born into an influential family life would have been better but then the same could have been true today. I for once was born to a poor family in Poland so my perspectives would have been petty unpretty.

What is awesome though that you can experience those fashion and styles of an era long gone today and live in freedom and air of possibilities while experiencing the "charm" of fashion and etiquette feeling like a Madam we are

Gotta love that bullet bra! My doctor says a woman use to have my soul and she wants it back! I've been trying to give it to her! Gee! I just hope 'we' weren't born in the 16th century! Hugs girlfriend!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

I truly feel that my Suzy was indeed the very person I wrote this thread about. Maybe her soul was somehow combined with mine to make me the person/persons I am today.

I truly adore that era of glamour and beauty even though women had to conform to male rules and standards of just what that was, I think Suzy embraced that and all of the glamour and elegance that went with it and is now a part of who I am.

I just adore the glamour of sitting in front of your vanity as you prepare yourself to go out in public, wearing marabou slippers and a whispy peignoir, and underneath you have on your stockings and shapewear.

Well to tell you the truth you are not the only one

Attachment 161794

OMG you look AMAZING! I am so glad to be here finding kindred souls and making new friends lile you.

Thank you ever so much for sharing that photo.

Suzy

vintage lingerie

Sign Me Up Too........................ I love early fashion also..........THANKS MOM

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    No, I never felt like I was supposed to be a woman. I just always liked to dress as one!!

Let's see, I started wearing lingerie when I was 6 years old and progressed from there. That was in 1938, so my wardrobe has gone through a lot of changes over the years. Of course during the almost 50 years that I was married, my dear late wife made sure that I was always in style!! When she got through with me I was very "passable," and went out in public often as Stephanie!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

The only thing that I like about stuff to due with past generations when it comes to women are the pushes to break down stupid societal barriers, and some of the fashions. The example at the OP, I think the only style I like there is the Green dress. The other two? Nope.

The glamour shot of the lady getting ready (the one in black) is very nice to look on, and I do wish I could do that sometimes, but being male I am supposed to just throw on some jeans and t shirt and be ready for my date. (yea, right).
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

it would have to be the 1860's to the 1890's for me.
    Amanda

Do you believe in reincarnation? Sometimes I do because I want so bad to be in a certain time. Maybe there is truth to all that and I am on board with the styles of the 40's and 50's. Maybe I was alive then (oh wait I was alive in the 50's...duh.).

Fantasy is great, it allows you to escape from daily life. And we tend to remember the good things. Maybe some would have been happy being taught etiquette and how to balance a tea cup on one knee, but you are only getting the bright side of that. As with most the dressing here, we have the ability to stop when we are finished. Talk to the GG's and they will tell you that the girdles were uncomfortable as were the shoes. The majority were not pin-ups, garters stretched or tugged. Make up was heavy. If you had to wear all those things and act in a specific manner (imagine being told you were too stupid to understand, or don't worry your little head about it) it would not take long before your fantasy was to be more free. To get an education, to be respected for who you are (oh wait...that's what we are still trying to do here isn't it?).

I agree with Pythos, the societal boundaries of the time mad life for women confining and treated them as lesser beings. That said, I am enamored with the era as long as it is the glamorous parts and I don't have to fill in the parts everyone forgets about.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I do believe in reincarnation. I often have dreams and even memory flashes that are so vivid it is amazing. These are often so complete in detail I find it hard to believe my own subconscious created them.

I guess that is Suzy letting me know she is always with me, body and soul.

I think it all the time.. atm heat has me a little brain damaged lol. but Betty Page would be a good example for me..

Of course being born in 1955 and having our young minds exposed to all that glam has had it''s effect. I can remember being under the kitchen table while my mom and friends played cards and got drunk, totally fastinated with the heels, hose, girdles,slips, and all that a young boy/gurl could see from my point of view. And the view got better the more they drank....
    So as we are posting glam undie shots here's one of mine wearing SIL Betty Page lingerie. My absolute fav undies are sheer panties,OBG or a good garter belt, bullet bra,Fully fashioned hose and heels. Add the full skirt and petti and I'm in heaven. I just love it when one's skirt rubs the doorway on both sides as you go thru....lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I wouldn't say I was meant to be a woman from a different era, but I should definitely have already been a woman in a different era. Trouble is, I let myself be persuaded otherwise
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

In the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains of VA
    Actually my ex was visiting last week and she told me I was stuck in the June Cleaver age but if it made me happy going to all of the trouble to pull off that look enjoy yourself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Life is too short dress whenever you can!

Aspiring Member PrettyFlowingGown's Avatar
    i dress elegant. always wear long flowing skirts/dresses and i have lots of ballgowns, evening gowns, so i'm more into 30's/40's vintage gowns, ginger rogers/barbara stanwyk era. they are my main influences in er
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I love my gorgous flowing evening and ball gowns. I love swishing in them, and feeling how beautiful and shimmering they are. I love to feel like a princess. I love to be elegant, feminine and ladylike.

I guess it would probably be either the 1980s and/or the 1990s (I was born in the late 80s, so I kind of missed that decade) in terms of culture, fashion, films etc... I could watch "Blade Runner" and "Heathers" in the cinema when they were originally released and I would also get to be a goth when the whole goth thing was just starting out (ok, technically, it started in the late 70s with Joy Division etc..). Then, of course, there are all the other interesting fashions from the 80s/90s too.

Plus, there are so many bands, stand-up comics etc... who I'd really want to see if I was around in the 80s/90s.

And, if I was a woman who was in her early twenties in the 80s and/or 90s, then I'd probably kind of look like a cross between Phoebe Cates' character from "Gremlins 2", "Death" from Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" comics and possibly Winona Ryder.
    Last edited by izzfan; 07-22-2011 at 10:14 PM.

I just was not into the styles from the late seventies and early eighties. By the time the mid eighties got here I was in the "Gray Fog" part of my life, Complete abandonment of my crossdressing, I was in love with a great girl who is still with me today. Oh, it was always thought of fondly but completely hidden away deep down inside. Lasted for about 15 years, kids don't ya know, then something snapped, (maybe it was a garter...LOL), Suzy broke free and was part of my life again, boy did I miss her, I just did not realize how much until I started dressing again.