Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Decision at the Top of the Stairs

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar

The Decision at the Top of the Stairs

Much has been written here about walking in heels, and especially negotiating stairs. All of my heels are in the 4-4.5 inch range so negotiating everything in heels has been a priority and I hadn't thought too much about it...until a few days ago....

We live in a "raised ranch" so there is a set of stairs with a landing for the front door (typical raised-ranch style). My wife and I were watching a movie on the lower level and decided we wanted some tea, which I went upstairs to make, in my 4.5 inch booties! I make the tea and have one mug of hot tea in each hand as I approach the top of the stairs. Of course, I can't use the railing since both of my hands are being used, and that use is to hold a mug brimming with hot tea. So, do I put one down and ferry the tea downstairs one at a time, or just do it?

I'd taken these stairs numbers of times, but I'd always had a free hand in case I needed any need to touch the railing. That would not be an option here. So, deep breath, pointing toes, and down the stairs I went. The result was that the only stair which was scary was the first one! Once the process started it was completely smooth and completely without the spilling of a single drop of tea (or the spilling of me!).

I must admit that I smiled to myself as I got to the bottom step. As I sat down it hit me that this process of learning about the other gender is a process of one little (or larger) success at a time.

So what was your last success...the one that made you smile?

Tina

Well, yeah....even though you (or me, or anyone) might be rather good at walking in heels, it's still dangerous, and elicits some caution. Once many years ago, when my wife actually wore dresses to work, she was walking down our stairs in heels like she did every day, turned her ankle, and wound up with a hairline fracture. Ouch! The heels weren't even all that high, maybe 2 1/2 inches or so. But even so, stairs and heels, well, that's why there's a hand railing. And when your hands are full, slowing down is a real good idea.

What was my last success in heels? I've never hurt myself in them (yet). So I smile whenever I'm wearing them. Knock on wood.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

While I'm no newbie when it comes to heels, the first time I wore my SW's I decided to go downstairs. One heel ended up getting caught on the carpet and luckily I had two free hands as I grabbed both rails as my shin made contact with one of the steps. Yes, imagine how contorted I was at that moment but it could have been much worse as I easily could have landed flat on my face.

Moral of the story is to be careful on stairs. I know every time I go down stairs I flash back to my little near-disaster.

BTW, I was actually shocked to find that I didn't manage to snap the heel right off. That would have elevated things to a total disaster .
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Oh! Do be careful, Tina!

Our lives are indeed a series of little successes, and, sometimes, a step or two back as well. It should be a glorious trip.

Ooooops! Using "step" and "trip" in a reply to your post may not have been the best wording!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

All you need is the proper tool: A Greek Waiter's tray:

(Greek Waiter not included!)

Oh, and my last success was learning to smile rather than nod while meeting people en femme. Tough habit to break!
    Last edited by Eryn; 07-26-2011 at 02:45 PM.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Gold Member
    Take it from an old stair builder; Once you start walking on a stair case, you mind automatically
    computes the next step after 2 or 3 steps. That is why most building codes make sure that the
    steps do not vary more than 1/16 TH of an inch. Your mind will notice a step of 1/4" difference
    rite away. I am sure if you think about it the next time you are on a stair case with different
    stair heights.
    Rader

I have been frequenting a gay/les/tg club near my town at any opportunity I get to shake my tush to the beat of popular house groove of times, mind you I am not as old as my license states. Not only it is the first time after nearly 4 years after the decision to go with it and 1 year after the reveal but also probably 20+ years since I last shook my tush in the club by my self. Well, I am shaking in the rhythmic trance and in front of me very attractive male starts to pay rather more then usual attention, we get close and for some reason I do not back off but enjoy the attention. I have been hetero all my life and during my denial years I have been ultra homophobic due to my personification of a manly man. But that was then and this is now when I am allowing all the emotions to penetrate my psyche and true self to emerge. So, we are both shaking our tushes and getting closer and closer, I am slowly but enticingly backing my self towards the wall at which point he puts one of his strong arms over my shoulder, presses against the wall and stares there at me for a while. I am at loss of where to go with my feelings, I have never done anything such as this, oh my, but it strangely feels so good, to be taken and swept into the strength of a powerful yet gentle male. He advances, our lips touch, and for a moment I am lost in the place with no time and no consequence, I am me, vulnerable, soft, sensual being lost in another wonderful beings arms, the moment passes, he backs down, smiles, and slowly returns to the dance floor. I am standing there, still figuring out what just happened. Was it wrong, was it disgusting, was it wonderful, was it blissful, thoughts running wild in my female brain but I notice I am smiling from ear to ear and can't stop.

I guess, as confusing as it was, I don't put stops to my new life and consider this event a success.......................I think

Platinum Member
    Hi Tina, I find if I keep my 13's heel aganst the back of the step everything works best.
    Just remember why they put hand rails there.

Orchid

Alexia I was wondering are you a CD or TG and what is your present sexual orientation? These are not clear from what you wrote. And I'm dying to know if there is anything else to this story. Did anything happen between you two? Did you ever see him again and under what circumstances?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcie Close View Post
    Alexia I was wondering are you a CD or TG and what is your present sexual orientation? These are not clear from what you wrote. And I'm dying to know if there is anything else to this story. Did anything happen between you two? Did you ever see him again and under what circumstances?
    Hi Marcie, I am a Transsexual woman and fond of saying the word I so dreaded to even hear. This was pretty much it, he did come over by where I was resting once again, I was sitting at the couch facing the dance floor, he was dancing and did not stop but gently brushed against my legs, then gave me a kiss on my cheek and with the big smile went back to the dance floor. The whole incident was surreal, and I was kissed by a man for the first time in my life. This kiss would have never happen any time before in my life because I was so protecting my manly stance and deeply believed that my transgenderism was a dirty, sick, and disgusting nightmare I needed to wake up from. But now after I have made peace with my true self, I allowed her to come out and penetrate every ounce of my body and soul, this kiss felt heavenly and beautiful yet confusing at the same time. I love woman and their beauty and sensuality but now I am realizing that I love what I want for mine and it is more of a desire to have the same as it is sexual attraction. I am at the crossroads of sexuality. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    While I'm no newbie when it comes to heels, the first time I wore my SW's I decided to go downstairs. One heel ended up getting caught on the carpet and luckily I had two free hands as I grabbed both rails as my shin made contact with one of the steps. Yes, imagine how contorted I was at that moment but it could have been much worse as I easily could have landed flat on my face.

Moral of the story is to be careful on stairs. I know every time I go down stairs I flash back to my little near-disaster.

BTW, I was actually shocked to find that I didn't manage to snap the heel right off. That would have elevated things to a total disaster .
    Yup. Stairs, heels and carpeting is a disaster waiting to happen. Lots of women have injured themselves that way.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

As mentioned before, point your toes at the railing, one hand at the rail for safety. btw you can go downstairs faster this way in flats.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

I once watched a young lady run down an escellator at a mall wearing probably four inch heels.
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 07-28-2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: quote removed
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Where I'm from, most men would not consider using a hand rail for that would be too fem! I guess that's why I consider using a hand rail a success in itself! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

All of my girly shoes are 4" heels, so I know what you mean girl. I tend to turn a little sideways to make sure that my heel and toe hit the next stair down. Also, when you are wearing a long gown you've got to hike it up with a free hand or you foot won't make the next stair....

Renne.....

Gold Member
    Did you know that they make a special plywood for floor underpayment of Sheet Vinyl flooring.
    It has no voids for the point of the heals to punch through the thin vinyl
    Rader

tina
    why don't you use a tray, you can hold it in one hand, holding the railing at the same time and if you spill any of it, its in the tray not on the
    floor.

carolyn xx

Quote Originally Posted by Alexia Elliot View Post
    Hi Marcie, I am a Transsexual woman and fond of saying the word I so dreaded to even hear. This was pretty much it, he did come over by where I was resting once again, I was sitting at the couch facing the dance floor, he was dancing and did not stop but gently brushed against my legs, then gave me a kiss on my cheek and with the big smile went back to the dance floor. The whole incident was surreal, and I was kissed by a man for the first time in my life. This kiss would have never happen any time before in my life because I was so protecting my manly stance and deeply believed that my transgenderism was a dirty, sick, and disgusting nightmare I needed to wake up from. But now after I have made peace with my true self, I allowed her to come out and penetrate every ounce of my body and soul, this kiss felt heavenly and beautiful yet confusing at the same time. I love woman and their beauty and sensuality but now I am realizing that I love what I want for mine and it is more of a desire to have the same as it is sexual attraction. I am at the crossroads of sexuality. Time will tell.
    Alexia..This is one erotic post....Somehow, I can identify with this whole scenario...A Lola scene....smooches(from a male) Jackie
    Jackie

Alexia, that is one amazing experience! And I thought not killing myself going down stairs was amazing!

Carolyn, it hadn't occurred to me that there was going to be a problem until I got to the head of the stairs. Just goes to show that Tina is one stubborn and determined woman!

Radar, the last time I put down or took off underlayment Tina wasn't even a glimmer in anyones's eye

ReneeB, I agree that I turn my foot a little bit as well to give me more "stair" to work with. As far as a long gown, I'd have been in trouble without that third arm!

Cynthia and Sometimes_Miss, I wonder what the gender distribution is for "injuries on stairs" for adults! Heels and all I bet very few women get hurt on stairs!

Linda Allen....omg, is that my next challenge??? Running down the stairs??? Does Tina like a challenge or what? ROFL!

Marla, now I hope your good fortune wearing heels hasn't been jinxed!!! Be careful

Ok, so I wasn't trying to limit successes to just walking in heels, but here is something else to ponder: Tina has been around for quite a bit in the last few days and has been going from one pair of shoes to the other to compair fit, comfort, and look. What she really learned was that there was a barrier at a 4" difference between heel and "platform" (net height?). At less more than 4" the shoes themselves locked Tina into walking with smaller steps and that lovely dancing "wiggle". At lower than 4", even a half-inch lower, she sometimes started to walk more like a guy (drat).

Do we all have a point at which the shoes force us to "walk like a lady"?

Tina

Fab Karen, when I was in high school I had a home room on the top floor one year and my first class was on the first floor. I learned to literally slide off the ends of the stairs going down, almost gliding (or sliding) over the two flights of stairs at incredible speed, so I know you are right about pointing toes in flats. I just took it to an extreme when young

Once you've mastered stairs try the other hazards in the real world. You ever notice in a busy centercity the grates for air shafts? Chics have a second radar on for these and avoid them like the plague. Then there is the deck. The gaps between the boards are always looking for my heel. Now I see why wedges are soo cool. Just got a pair of slingback wedges today and will try them out in the usual hazards. Then there is the lawn. Nope, not going there in heels...

Heels what a great and exciting way to walk. Gettin good at I'm sure will take me many tries.....

Renne....

Yes, Reene! I went out to check the garden the other day in heels (never had done that, Tina just doesn't garden) and those 4" heels just wanted to dive into the ground! I've been on our deck but I think I was just ignorant of the issue...I'll think about it next time.

Grates...scare me to death! Walking in the real world is just scary!

tina

Exactly the way I do it one hand on the railing and kind of sideways. Might not look very graceful but it is safer

Quote Originally Posted by RenneB View Post
    All of my girly shoes are 4" heels, so I know what you mean girl. I tend to turn a little sideways to make sure that my heel and toe hit the next stair down. Also, when you are wearing a long gown you've got to hike it up with a free hand or you foot won't make the next stair....

Renne.....

I probably wouldn't be able to go anywhere if stairs didn't have railings. When I was 16, I fell while going up the marble staircase at my high school and cracked my right kneecap. The four weeks on crutches were sheer torture. Later, I developed pretty serious arthritis in both knees (mostly under control now with medication), which makes them hurt and creak when I negotiate stairs, and I'm frequently scared one of them will give out while I'm going up or down (it hasn't actually ever happened). This has all convinced me to hang on to the rail whenever possible -- up or down, heels or sneaks, boy or girl, whether or not it makes me look like a wimp.

In Tina's situation, I would probably have just swallowed my pride and made two trips up and down the stairs, one hand on the railing. I admire her courage.

- Diane

Thank you, Diane.

And normally I catch myself using the railing without thinking about it. It's a habit, and as you point out, probably a good one!

Tina

Hasn't anyone noticed that dresses with wider skirts (or just wide skirts) also add a different dimension to descending stairs? I find that, although I don't usually look down at my feet when wearing trousers there is somehow an awareness of where they are - but is a dress I don't see my feet, even out of the corner of my eye, so with or without heels, stairs are more hazardous.