Thread: How I told my Grandson (Sorry it's a long post.)

*Kisses and Best Wishes* Wendy_Marie's Avatar

How I told my Grandson (Sorry it's a long post.)

Recently there have been several posts about how to approach questions from children within the family and this topic kind of hits home with me as I am at a point where I feel it is going to be necessary to tell my two Grandsons about my female self….and to be honest about it, telling them scares the living hell outta me.

I have two grandsons, one who just turned a year old…and the other who will be 4-year old in August.
    The younger Grandson I am not as concerned about telling as he is young enough that if I do come out now… it won’t be anything that is out of the ordinary for him to see me in a Female form. His mother, my oldest daughter is way cooler with the idea of my transition than I had ever dreamed she would be when I came out and told both her and her younger sister a couple of months ago.

In fact she is open with her own sexuality and is proudly and openly expressive of being Bi-sexual herself, a facet within her life she divulged to her Mother and I back when she was still a Junior in High School and brought her first serious girlfriend home to introduce her to us.

My other Grandson, the soon to be 4-year old one… has been practically raised by my Wife and me since day one of his birth… Don’t get me wrong as I am not trying to insinuate that my younger daughter is a bad mother, but she suffered from extreme post partum depression after he was born and has since had some other health issues as well. On top of this she has came to make some decisions which has affected not only her life, but the life of this child and even the life of my wife and I as well.

She has since taken measures to go back to school and is making a real attempt towards getting her life on track but there are still many times that I have been asked to step in and care for my Grandson.

The Biological father has been in and out of his life (Mostly out) but is currently back in the picture...and like the mother he isn't a bad guy...he bucked up and voluntarily pays child support and is a very hard working man…but it has been left mostly up to me to step up and be that needed male father figure in my Grandson’s life.

For whatever the reason though, throughout the last four years… this child and I have a relationship which exceeds that of a typical Grandson/Grandfather... as everything this kid has accomplished in his young life from learning to walk, talk and using the big boy potty to riding his tricycle and operating the television Remote control has been the result of my wife and I stepping in and teaching him.

Well a few nights ago he decided it was time for him to come spend a couple of days and nights with his Jamma and Pop pop since he and Mom moved out and into a place with his biological father after living in my home for the last 18 months continuously.....so he and I spent nearly 8-hours that first night on a Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon/Disney Channel Marathon watching his favorite programs.

A cartoon he likes very much came on called the Amazing World of Gumball came on and imagine my surprise to see that the main character in this episode, Gumball who is a male catlike creature...had all his clothing destroyed in a laundry accident by his Father. Having only his mothers wedding dress to wear to school he discovered that he enjoyed the attention others were giving him as he was being accepted by his classmates and friends in school while dressed as a Female.

My Grandson out of the blue turned and asked me why Gumball was wearing a dress? So I took this as my cue and asked him if he thought it was alright for Gumball to be wearing a dress…? I was elated when he replied “Yeah, sure…Why not!” As if it was no big deal. I asked him if he thought there was anything wrong with a boy wearing girls clothing or a girl wearing boys clothes and he again answered…”No!”
    So I plucked up my courage a little and asked him outright if he thought it would be alright if Pop pop wore girl’s clothes…and without hesitation but with a little frustration in his voice he stated emphatically “Yes.”

I decided that this was about as far as I could take this conversation with him at this time as it was apparent that my questions were interfering with his cartoon watching.

A short while later, and while we happened to be watching a Looney Toon’s cartoon, that Iconic character Elmer Fudd came on the screen wearing a wedding dress in an attempt to fool Bug’s….to which my Grandson turned to me and remarked look there you are Pop, you would look like Elmer Fudd in a dress.
    I turned and gave him what he refers to as a “Big Boy’s Hug” both arms and a very tight squeeze with a loud and audible grunt thrown in for good measures before turning and walking out of the room with tears in my eyes…

I know the love this child has for me in unconditional at this time in his life and I also believe it is strong enough to overcome the outer trappings I might present regardless of what gender I am associated with…I intend to have a long heart felt talk with his mother very soon before I proceed any further… but I have to have this child as well as the other Grandson in my life…can’t picture any other outcome in my head as the two of them are about the only reasons on this earth that I could foresee having any real impact upon my pursuit of transitioning.
    [SIZE="3"]"I can't talk girl talk when there is a guy inside my head." Gracie Lou Freebush[/SIZE]
    Is this all that's left of my life before me. Straight Jacket Memories and Seditive Highs! No Happy Ending like they always Promised...There's got to be something left for me... And I Turn my Head and Stare into the Eyes of a Stranger.
    To those of you who consider yourselves to be "Cat People" I apologize in advance for I am not.

WOW. That's great. I hope it continues to go well.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

I found your story very interesting Wendy Marie! Perhaps there are other tv shows on this topic with clean humor that you and he can watch together that may help him see that it's not a bad thing! i love the way you are handleing this! I hope the best for all of you! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Platinum Member
    Kids learn from all kinds of examples and at his age, your grandson is a sponge for ideas and attitudes. You're helping create a balanced and tolerant person. He's a lucky kid.

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    You're helping create a balanced and tolerant person. He's a lucky kid.
    I hope he grows up respecting people in general and I am the lucky one here....he is a great kid and sharp as a tack. guess he takes that after his old pop's.
    [SIZE="3"]"I can't talk girl talk when there is a guy inside my head." Gracie Lou Freebush[/SIZE]
    Is this all that's left of my life before me. Straight Jacket Memories and Seditive Highs! No Happy Ending like they always Promised...There's got to be something left for me... And I Turn my Head and Stare into the Eyes of a Stranger.
    To those of you who consider yourselves to be "Cat People" I apologize in advance for I am not.

You handled the situation every well. I missed the same opertunity this coming week, as their plans have changed. Good luck to you and hope everything continues to work out.

Great to hear this story! I am still working on my kids but is is going ok. We have been playing the Wii lately and I keep choosing to play as a female character. My oldest daughter sort of picks on me about it (fun loving tease) but my youngest is ok with it. I also finally revealed my belly ring to my youngest daughter and all she did was giggle.
    I'M FREE, I'M FREE! I GET TO BE ME!

Danni,
    Your post is partly what inspired me to open up as I have with my Grandson....it made me realize that children have a natural gift for showing unconditional love and all one needs do is open the door and allow them the oppurtunity.