Thread: a weekend of firsts

Platinum Member

a weekend of firsts

As reported earlier, I had a makeover at MAC on Friday and celebrated by having a couple drinks en femme Friday night to a gaybar in the Montrose neighborhood of Houston. (Tue night is Drag night, but I had fun anyway)

Saturday, I had some work to do at home, but rewarded myself by dressing up and going out for dinner at a nice little place called Barnaby's, also in Montrose. I wore a loose fitting printed mesh top that covered my arms a bit (too many weights) and a plain linen skirt. After a great dinner and conversation with the waiter and a couple of guys at the adjoining table, I took a long walk through the business area, meeting both gay and straight couples. Everyone was pleasant, although I admit a few folks gave me some very odd looks.

Well, this morning, I decided to continue my streak, so I put on what I hope was an appropriate outfit for a hot summer morning - a white tank top and some sand colored capris, heels and a loose open shirt (with forms, bra, light make up and a casual necklace). First dropped off my wife's drycleaning, then to HEB to buy groceries. I'm getting used to catching people's attenion - but as before most everyone smiled, and no one made a disparaging remark. I especially enjoyed chatting with the check out girl...she was totally unphased by my appearance!

My hair is ...ok...but later this week I'm making an appointment with my hairdresser and I'm going to ask her for a trim that can work as either decidedly feminine, or if need be, pass for straight male. We'll see what she comes up with.

*Kisses and Best Wishes* Wendy_Marie's Avatar
    sounds like a perfectly wonderful weekend and a great start to a fabulous week.
    [SIZE="3"]"I can't talk girl talk when there is a guy inside my head." Gracie Lou Freebush[/SIZE]
    Is this all that's left of my life before me. Straight Jacket Memories and Seditive Highs! No Happy Ending like they always Promised...There's got to be something left for me... And I Turn my Head and Stare into the Eyes of a Stranger.
    To those of you who consider yourselves to be "Cat People" I apologize in advance for I am not.

You are one lucky gurl

Platinum Member
    I decided to keep the momentum. So, I went to Dillards and bought a body shaper and padded panties, just to get a little more shape. Then I spent nearly an hour at Dress Barn looking for tops that would give me a little coverage on my upper arms. I also picked up a pair of women's jeans that fit perfectly! The SA was very helpful and friendly...she should be, I suppose, but honestly, just a great help and genuine smile. There were two other ladies in the store at the time and both smiled when our eyes met. What fun!

Sounds like an enjoyable time, but next time, it may not go as well. Just be accepting.

lets hope some day we will be able to go out or just dress like wan't to . we need local clubs where we can get together and support each other Rhonda xxx

Kim, I love reading about experiences like yours. Once I finally started venturing out myself, I wondered why I didn't do it sooner. Granted, It was only 3 months from the time I fully accepted myself as a crossdresser and disclosed this to my wife, to the first time I went out dressed in public. Louise has great advice; eventually someone will give you a negative reaction and about all you can do is smile and let them have their opinion. I've seen first hand how a "sister" handled that and believe me, it totally diffused the situation and very quickly impressed the negative person and won them over.

But back to you... I'm proud of you that you're getting out there. It isn't for everyone, but for those that take the step, it's literally living a dream. It's just unreal and every time I go out, it's just as exciting as the first time. I still lose confidence and have to talk myself up each time.

Platinum Member
    Amanda, you're right, it is kinda a dream come true. I've tried to force myself into everyday situations - the grocery, the starbucks, the dry cleaners...I guess because if feels so "normal". You mention the big step was fully accepting yourself as a cross dresser - and I think that's something motivating me too. Being able to face the world en femme is a major act of self acceptance!

Louise, I have already encountered quite a range of reactions...not all positive. Disapproval is mostly readily apparent in the eyes of men that I meet. But I guess that's to be expected. Today, I finished off an afternoon shopping excursion with a stop at Starbucks near my house. The girls behind the counter were all incredible - friendly, chatty and accepting. A few of the mostly male patrons gave me a wary look - I tried to smile and let it go, then sat down and read the news and enjoyed my frappachino.

Kim, for me there's something so magical about pushing a grocery cart while wearing a skirt and hearing my heels clicking. The more mundane the activity, the more exciting. I just love women's clothing. So fulfilling when my exterior reflects the interior.

Platinum Member
    I agree entirely. I felt perfectly at home with all the other lady shoppers...and simple as it was, just this was a fufilling experience.

Kim,
    I am so proud of you.
    Hopefully those of us that are out will open so doors for others.
    Be proud and present well girl. Remember we are the ones that the public sees and set there opinions of all of us.

Best Wishes
    Robin Lee

Too much fun is good for you! And that's what you're having! Keep it up! Never let a discouraging Comment get you down! You go girl! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Platinum Member
    Every day it gets a little easier. Today I just dropped off a package at the PO (returning some shoes to Zappos - they sent the wrong size), and went to the optician to replace a nose piece on my sunglasses. I'd only been there en drab before, but I doubt they remembered me. The lady optist (sp) was very friendly and professional, as was the other lady getting her glasses adjusted.

Kim -
    Since we became members, I've known you to be almost full-time in your home, but with the steps you've taken over the past week, I imagine that now you'll have little use for your male clothes. I'm very happy for you - mostly because I know how happy this makes you. I think the Nordic Princess has set sail for many rewarding adventures.

Enjoy every moment. Wendy

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustWendy View Post
    Kim -
    Since we became members, I've known you to be almost full-time in your home, but with the steps you've taken over the past week, I imagine that now you'll have little use for your male clothes. I'm very happy for you - mostly because I know how happy this makes you. I think the Nordic Princess has set sail for many rewarding adventures.

Enjoy every moment. Wendy
    Hi Wendy - you're right. The male clothes aren't used a whole lot - circumstances dictate. Its been an interesting progression, from home dresser to public. Oddly, it seems that I finally broke out of the confinement after 2 weeks of traveling en drabbe. I just couldn't wait to get home, shed the male facade and get dressed. I've been thinking about going out for a long time, but that hiatus really motivated me to act. (along with so much encouragement and support from my friends here!)

Thanks again to all!

Kim

Platinum Member
    Hi Kim That sounds like a wonderful weekend.

Orchid