Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need ideas of shopping discreetly

Living Dead Girl Schatten Lupus's Avatar
    Well, they don't know if you are buying them for yourself or another person, and most people will automatically assume it's for someone else. I've even asked about dress sizes at one store (legitimately for my girlfriend) and the lady didn't bat an eye at me or think it was odd a guy would be asking about a very pretty dress. For all anyone knows, you are buying something you think your SO will look good in, something you think they will like for a present, or any other reason.
    And of course it doesn't get anymore discreet than the internet. And not only is it 100% discreet, I have found the selection is often much better than in store.
    Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein

to shop "discreetly" would involve paying with a cc. cash gets looks.

the clerks do not care, about the who, what, when, or were. just as long as you buy something so they have a job, they are happy.

I don't go out fully dressed only underdressed. So all my shopping is done in guy mode. The more you do it the less stressfull it is. A lot of times it is fun. I have gone to the mall anchor stores and shopped even tried on clothes. I have asked the sales assitance were the dressing room was while standing there with a dress in my hand and she just took me to the one in the women's section and put me in the stall with a smile. I don't think I was the first guy to do this becuase she did this with out any concern. When checking out once in a while I would get comments like this is cute or I like these heels.

But don't get me wrong sometimes I still get a little freak out and leave the store. Sometimes I feel like all eyes are on me or if I think I am making the other customers uncomfortable.

It's all about the sale, and it's not illegal to purchase fem items. It's more of a self conscious thing, but I do my best shopping away from where my wifes friends may shop, don't want to cause any unnecessary weirdness for her, I find those who are so judgmental are the ones with so much to hide. Women buy mens clothes all of the time, why be ashamed if men buy womens? I hate the double standard s**t. My wife can be a bit uneasy when we are in a local store and I'm looking at things in the ladies section, asking her questions in a low tone, like "what do you think" holding it up on me, but when we are out of town, she knows that the people will most likely never see us again, and who cares what they think? They don't seem to care what we think. Just enjoy the experience, you'll make better purchasing choices.
    Ms Kanuchi

*Kisses and Best Wishes* Wendy_Marie's Avatar
    I have had real good experiences with the K-Mart stores in my area...So you may have to interact with a SA at the checkout counter I always remember what my wife said to me....My money is just as green and spendws the same as the next persons in the line.
    if I wasn't there spending it, then they might not have a job and in the current economy it seems as if anyone who is working realizes just how fortunant they are.
    [SIZE="3"]"I can't talk girl talk when there is a guy inside my head." Gracie Lou Freebush[/SIZE]
    Is this all that's left of my life before me. Straight Jacket Memories and Seditive Highs! No Happy Ending like they always Promised...There's got to be something left for me... And I Turn my Head and Stare into the Eyes of a Stranger.
    To those of you who consider yourselves to be "Cat People" I apologize in advance for I am not.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I must admit that I'm still confused about the concern voiced about a check-out person deciding that we are buying feminine clothing for ourselves. How the devil can they know who we are buying for? Also, if they did say anything derogatory, it is completely unprofessional, and at that point THEY should be on the defensive. There are so many snappy (and satisfying) comebacks. Frankly, I've been waiting for a sales assistant or a cashier to say something negative now for the six years that I've been buying my feminine things in drab, but NOT ONCE has there been any negativity, from the very first time I tried on shoes in Payless and an SA asked if they were for me, and then proceeded to remind me of all the sales that had going on that day!

Ok, I do think that we should be prepared for an unruly SA or cashier, but only to make sure that our confidence is high, and to remind ourselves that buying feminine clothes is completely acceptable!!!

Consider this: the last time my wife needed a new purse she was complaining that they were all much too expensive. As it turns out I was heading out of town on business for a week to Philadelphia and I told her I'd take some time looking for her. I must have gone through 25 stores looking through every purse they had (finally found one!!!). What I realized is that no one batted an eyelash, and since I really was looking for my wife, it was an acceptable way of getting used to being in the women's section of every store I went into, or it was a women's-only store (at which point I always got approached by an SA who could just see $$$ immediately) and it was clear that this was a guy in a women's store. So, if you are not comfortable buying for your femme self, I suggest this mode of practice works well

I can understand your anxiety. I'm not sure I'd do well at Walmart or Target either. Plus I sometimes bump into close friends there.

I've come to really enjoy shopping at Ross, or TJ Maxx. It started when shopping there for boy clothes, and spotting a girl item I COULD NOT live without; so I grabbed one my size and included it with my purchase. Now I have no reservation of shopping at these discount stores; not to mention getting really nice designer items. I'm not sure if the cashiers think I'm shopping for the wife; or not, but I don't care, and they don't either.

Nicola's Top Tips are -

Write down what you want on a bit of paper and just refer to it often. If an assistant offers to help just say thank you and show them the bit of paper.
    The more embarrassed you are. the happier they seem to be to help. I suspect more than a few assistants know what you are up to, but they really don't seem to care.

If you are embarrased at the checkout, just buy an obviously girly birthday card too and hey, suddenly you are buying for someone else and not yourself!

Just a girl at heart too Kerigirl2009's Avatar
    Sorry but I can only come up with two options, first one is to tell a GG and take her shopping with you, but that means "telling someone" then having to forever trust or option 2
    Go shopping for yourself like you own the place. Don't worry about what others think, if your shopping and you start to get nervous, approach a sales associate or a female shopper and ask there opinion about "does this top go with these capris" and they will be more then happy to help you on most occassions by giving you their opinion.
    Of course in male mode you have to play the dumb guy card and say " does this shirt go with these pants?"
    I wish you the best and hope you find a way, TRUST ME its easy once you let go of fear.
    I wish I had the courage to just be myself and live my life how I want

I've taken some of my dressed pictures with me and use it as a guide. "I'm looking for a top to go with the skirt. or capris (as Kerigirl mention)" It usually opens up a fun dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Radina View Post
    This has to stop! How can I get freedom from this?
    How? Grow a pair and shop like a proud CD. The other day at Old Navy the cashier asked me if the clothes were for my girlfriend, I told her, "You think I have a girlfriend that wears 2X shirts? These are for me." And just smiled at her. They really couldn't care less.

Quote Originally Posted by juno View Post

If you really want to see a cashier freak out, buy condoms, lubricant, and a very large cucumber.
    Juno, that cracked me up

You have to learn to get over the fear. For example, the other week I went to the local drug store specifically for makeup. I was looking for an eyeliner pencil and face powder. It took me ages to find what I wanted (they sure make those displays confusing) and when I did I went to the cashier. She scanned them in and I noticed the item was $5 more than the display. So she does a price check, turns out it was a misplaced pencil, but I had to go get the one I wanted. All the time she was friendly. I made a comment to her, that 'all the pencils look the same'...as a test to see what she would say and she basically agreed. She asked if I wanted a bag for the items and I said nope. If they are nervous, they tend to quickly put the items in a bag and almost force it on you, but I tend to say I don't need one. I don't care what anyone thinks and if they say anything to me I don't have to answer...I would probably just say something nonconsequential.
    Chickie

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    Something that I do I stumbled upon by accident. In very cold weather, I leave my coat in the car. Other shoppers often assume I work there. I keep getting asked where the restroom is, so you might want to find that out first - lol. Leave you work ID badge on too - if you can hide the company name. It will add to the effect.

Gen

I find it very disturbing that other members of your household would open your mail without your consent. My wife and I have three adult children who do not reside at our home. On a regular basis we receive mail addressed to them individually. Never, never, never would we open their mail. To do so would be a total violation of their privacy. As parents we implemented this rule, and it still stands.We telephone them and make them aware of the mail. Sometimes they ask us to open the envelopes. Othertimes they ask us to thrash them. It is a criminal offence in Canada to open other people's mail without their consent.

BTW I have discovered, with the help of my wife, that nobody cares whether you buy female clothing or male clothing. It is all in our heads. Just go "bravely into this new world" and enjoy it. They love our money.

many years ago... it was deemed as fun to buy lingerie for your wife/girl-friend... we loved it... the SAs loved it...I got advice... life was good. It still is good! Go somewhere you are not known and just buy. No-one will bat an eyelid, and if they do just act totally normal... like this is what you do all the time. If you are ever caught in an odd moment of indecision... just use... I think she will like it... what do you think? It ALWAYS works...
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Quote Originally Posted by Natalee View Post
    It started when shopping there for boy clothes, and spotting a girl item I COULD NOT live without
    God this happens to me all the time! I go for some other shopping and I see a sexy dress or some elegant heels and I start to feel the love in my stomach for them. This never happens when I shop for guy clothes I dunno why!

But thank you ladies for the great tips, my confidence in this has risen sharply. I won't sweat it next time. Plus if one goes to peopleofwalmart.com and sees the pix, then, lol.. It's not so bad when I think about it.

I buy a number of items for my wife, so buying women's clothes should not bother me. The sales people were always so helpful. When I started to purchase some items for myself, I was taking the cheapo way out and going to the "Goodwill Store" a resale store that supports charities in the area, one of which is the Association for the blind and visually impaired. The first time I was buying size 18 skirts, it was just before Halloween and if questioned, had an answer. However a few months later, I stopped in again and found a number of items, tops, skirt, slacks, etc. Had a pile. Now I was nervous. What would the sales clerk think? Just so happens that the very sweet young lady at the register was blind. She used the bar codes on the tickets to scan the items and did a great job at making change. It warmed my heart to know that my secret was safe, but also that these Extravagences were going for a good cause. Haven't had a concern since.

I'm a bit lucky in that I have a 2 Wal-Marts not that far apart. I go to the further one and have shopped there, asked for help with sizes and tried on clothing there also. Never a problem. Once in K-Mart I had some jeans I wanted to try on, the keeper of the keys (to the men's try-on room) asked me if I knew that they were womens jeans. I said yes. After I came out, I needed to wait for my daughter who was still trying on things, I chatted with the young lady and told her that they fit better, have a little more stretch than men's jeans, are sometimes cheaper and in most cases look like mens . She saw my point and agreed.
    In deference to my family I try to shop away from home, otherwise I don't give a rat's a## what others think.

"in your head, in your head
    zombies, zombies"
    How can you get freedom? Relax, people don't care what you're buying ( try & list what others were buying the last time you were out- you won't be able to ). The salespeople will ring you up with as much concern as if you were buying men's socks. Once you do it, you'll see it's not a big deal. The stores have seen plenty of us before ( though sometimes they assume it's for a wife/GF ).
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

I've shopped in male clothing for years, alone and with the wife. When alone I used to get all nervous and would hesitate to get in long lines or go to older women or men checkers. Then one day at Kmart the only check stand open had a young man there, here I was with three pair of womens jeans, that where on a fantastic sale, it was put it down and walk away, or man up and go for it. I had spent so much time in womens wear that security had shown up to make sure I was not up to something nefarious, so to leave the store empty handed would have brought on some unwanted attention anyway, so I went for it, there where a couple of men in line in front of me, and the one closes started a conversation with me, about Kmart, ( I thought, please don't notice what I'm holding, while folding them so the label didn't show). He didn't say a thing even if if he did notice. Then I got to the checker, my worst fear, a young man, mid twenties, me with three pair of femme jeans and a top. As he started to ring things up, and saw the price on the Gloria Vanderbilt Jeans, he had to make a comment, (my worst fears) he said, "Wow, that's a great sale price!", that was it, just what a bargain I had gotten, nothing more, not who are these for, or why so many or did you know these ain't for men, nothing, just Wow, what a great price. I floated out the door with with my goodies, and I shop with a smile and a credit card very happily now. The moral of this story is REALLY, THEY DON'T CARE, JUST BUY SOMETHING!
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Hi Radina-
    I am about as new as you are here and with shopping in particular. I do shop at Target and Wal Mart and really enjoy and even sort of look forward to the possility of a shopper or salesgirl "discovering" me. For me it's a bit of a rush to do something sorta taboo and forbidden at least in my own mind, right in the middle of the day or evening. I do like the idea of some of the female shoppers wondering "what is HE in here for....looking at the blush or eyeliner section? Is he gay? Is he, does he, does he dress like a woman?" I rather like hoping that they ARE wondering what I am up to

Just do it girl it's no big thing. Or you could get a P.O. box.
    Angie

The more you do it, the easier it gets until you eventually find no one pays any attention to you.
    Most of the nervousness is in your head.

Aspiring Member
    As everyone says the more you do it the more comfortable it becomes just wait the first time you shop Victoria Secret for a bra and the sa asks if its for you you think you will faint just answer for me and it gets easier every time I knowI wear a bra everyday good luck