Thread: Old Navy Experience

Just getting my feet wet Marie-Elise's Avatar

Old Navy Experience

I had ordered a couple of dresses from Old Navy online but did not like them when they got here. So, rather than return them by mail, I decided to go into one of their stores.

I took my son with me (under a year old) and the SA was very nice and wanted to know if I wanted to exchange or just return them outright. I told her I wanted to return them and she got to work at the register.

As she was doing this, she asked my how old my son is and whether it was our first. I told her yes and we continued to chit chat. Once she was done, she gave me the receipt and said "We just got some new cute things in you might like."

I had to leave because my son was getting fidgety so I told her next time. She smiled and said have a good day.

This may be inconsequential but I liked the fact that I think she assumed the dresses were for me and offered to show me some other girly stuff. Or maybe I am overthinking this.

I think she thought the dresses were for you. You're not over thinking it. I'd be planning my next visit really soon. It's a wonderful thing!

Banned Read only
    I would bet she was pretty savvy and picked up on a few things and sized you up as a cd. Don't you just love people like this that are open minded and accepting of a persons personal right to wear clothing they like rather than follow the masses as to what designers, manufacturers and society tell them to wear. If you're up for it you should go back without your son and ask her to show you the cute things she just got in. It could be fun, you could find out what she was/is really thinking and if she's cool with it you just might ask if you could try something on and come out of the changing room and get her opinion on how it looks. This could be a real challenge, not for the faint of heart, but if it goes well it could be very emotionally rewarding and a place to shop in person and not on line. Let us know.

SA's who have been in the business for a while can pretty well look at someone and get their size... if you are like me a little larger then averag then I am sure she "sized you up" with the dress and knew it was more then likely for you.

Platinum Member
    Hi Yang, She's sure got your number.

Orchid

I'll see when I can get back there. Just before I walked out, I saw a nice denim miniskirt I might like. My wife will probably think it's too short but you gotta live a little right?

Gold Member
    A lot of the younger generation is pretty accepting of GLBT these days. She probably knew but it is not a big deal.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Doesn't sound like your over thinking it at all! She took good care of you and you appreciated it! Sounds like a win-win to me!

she knew,, most likely she deals with some local regulars and didnt think into it,,, i have been asked once shopping at a dress barn that i dont out myself if the dress I was looking for was for me or someone else,, I laughed and asked why ask me that,, she said she gets alot of men that shop for themself and they always spend
    Only friends can call me Amy,,, so if your reading this your a friend.

The Band QUEEN Quote " I want to be free"

I am thinking she probably did know. Anyway, my wife's boundaries say that I should not leave the house en femme which is fine with me. I don't know that I could do it. But knowing she fully accepts this as a part of me has made it easier for me. I am also feeling more accepting of myself as a crossdresser, something that has never happened before. Just the fact that I can put on a dress whenever I want and just do whatever I do around the house is liberating.

Platinum Member
    Wer you en femme? If not, I would still guess that the SA could put the evidence together 1) very few guys return dresses for thier wives, and 2) she could tell that the dress size was the same as yours. So, definately go back to that store, check out the cute things and report back to us.

Silver Member
    She may have suspected and was trying to use a humorous way to get a confirmation or denial that it was for you; eg. "Thanks, yes I will check them out", "No it isn't for me very funny " etc.

Aspiring Member
    It doesn't really matter what the rep thinks as long as she's courteous and helpful. Sounds like she was, sounds like a good experience, and it sounds representative of my experiences at Old Navy also. I don't know about other places, but Old Navy around here (especially at the big downtown SF store) is very trans friendly.

Every time I've ever been in, they've always been very attentive, friendly, and helpful just as they would and should be with anybody else. All the attention might be a bit unnerving for some shoppers - especially nervous TG's - but positive interactions are certainly a good way to build confidence in one's self.

I am thinking of going shopping again this weekend. I so want a denim miniskirt, strappy high heel sandals and a blouse. We'll see. I've been looking at the shopping threads and I think I am ready to try it.

Yes I think she knew also. The younger generation is more excepting. I was shopping in Dress Barn in drab and i told her the clothes were for me, I have been there dressed also, and the young sales girl had no issue at all and was very helpful.

sounds like a return trip is in order. Have fun.
    Amanda