Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jury duty...ugh!

Jury duty...ugh!

So it happened again, for the second time.
    I got a summons from my county to appear for jury duty for 1-3 days.
    Here's the catch: It is the week before Southern Comfort Conference in Atlanta, which I'm registered to attend. God knows how these things drag on, especially when it comes to jury selection.

Sooooooo........my time is valuable, and even my employer is balking at the time I'm away from work for my vacation days which I'm spending in Atlanta.

So i'm thinking of pulling the Corporal Klinger card if I have to attend.
    But most likely, I will get a sign-off from my company president, saying i am overseas that week.
    I'll keep y'all posted if the Klinger scenario happens.

Aspiring Member
    I did jury selection not long ago... wouldn't have minded sitting on the jury, but if you talk, you walk. What I mean is, when they ask "Does anyone have any questions or reasons they might not be able to be objective...." It's not that hard to come up with a reason. "My second cousin once got bilked out of his life savings" will work. Use inflammatory words to describe the situation and you'll be gone in a heartbeat!

Good luck!

Come and talk with me ;) Briana90802's Avatar
    Jury duty is like being in an abusive relationship, everyone has advice about how to get out but nothing really practical.
    Links must comply with our rules
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I understand the timing difficulties, but if you have a timing hardship you can get the date delayed for almost anything, real or not. But serving on a jury is a necessity we all need to do.

just my opinion.

All you have to do is inform the Jury selection office that you need new dates as you will be out of town. They will reschedule you at a later date, or you can go in on your own at any time.

Cool!
    Then, in that case I'll still go en femme.

I was called on jury duty last year and a lot of people tryed to get out of it.. the judge shot down almost every excuse, I didn't hear anything that worked, to get out of it. Now they were very easy to work with if you had something going on, one person had test the first week so the judge put them on a jury that wouldnt have to go in until the second week. Someone else had some kind of something going on and he told them to call in and let them know and he would try and work around those days with her... I was put on a jury, went up there one time the guy going on trail didn't show up so the judge issued a bench warrent for him and told us to go home. There wasn't much going on that time so I never had to go back to court..

Ask why the police arrested the accused if they weren't guilty.
    [SIZE="2"]
    I give you a new commandment, that you love one another.
    Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]
    John 13:34
    [/SIZE]
    Find me: Google+

I'd go as Klinger! Hairy legs and all!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

You are likely to be able to reschedule your service if you have travel scheduled. In my area it's done through an automated phone system, you don't even talk to a human.

In SoCal, those of us who are eligible to serve get called a lot, because there are a lot of people who aren't eligible to serve who also tend to commit a lot of crimes. I get a summons about every two years.

Don't screw around in court by saying things like "I can't be objective" (unless you have a good reason, of course) or "If he's not guilty why was he arrested?" Judges take umbrage at such tactics and you really don't want to become an example to keep the other prospective jurors in line.

I don't know any magic formulas to get rejected during voir dire. It may not have made much difference, but the last time around the only way that I could stay awake during the painfully boring process was to take notes continuously. I recorded everything I saw, including how people in the courtroom were dressed (the deputy DA had great taste in shoes), which jurors were questioned or bumped, etc. After three days of this I was finally bumped even though I had been questioned on the first day. I don't think that lawyers like jurors who pay too much attention to everything that is going on.

3 days of my life, about 10 actual hours working in the courtroom, and the paycheck was $8.50
    Last edited by Eryn; 08-04-2011 at 11:56 PM.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I have been called 2x. One trick I found the first time is finding someone close by and striking up a conversation in the waiting room loud enough for several folks to hear is what you would like to to do to child molesters and drug dealers. You would be surprised how quickly you get excused.

The second time I simply mentioned that I have a brother who is a defense attorney (can't stand the guy) and we have discussed on several occasions the deceitful and dishonest tactics attorneys always use and therefore I would be totally unable to be impartial.

IMO, as I pay taxes I do not feel obliged to also pay for gas and parking while losing a substantial amount of money from my business. The state pays for attorneys for the folks who cannot afford an attorney and they can damn well pay me for my time. If you want me to be impartial, don't take money out of my pocket and make me listen to a bunch of liars and ridiculous technicalities that all too often favor the crook.

I had jury duty three weeks ago. It was suppose to be for just one day (Monday), so I was looking forward to getting out of there early and going home.
    Didn't happen. I ended up getting on a jury (civil case) that was estimated to go for three days (until that Thursday) but went until Friday afternoon.

It was great. There was all kinds of things going on, sort of like what you would see on TV. There was even surprise evidence that took additional time and witnesses to go over. At the beginning of the trial, one of the lawyers asked if anyone wanted to be on the jury and no one said they did. In the end, everyone that had to stay were happy that they did. It was very interesting.
    It even made it in the paper a couple of times after the case was over.

The judge didn't take any lame excuses though. A few people tried to get out and some succeeded (business owner and sole employee or big project/meeting coming up type of excuses) and one jurer called in sick the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by NathalieX66 View Post
    ...So i'm thinking of pulling the Corporal Klinger card if I have to attend...
    No need to go to that extreme, unless you want to make a statement on behalf of our TG community.

An alternative approach would be that if you were asked if you believe in capital punishment, just say that not only do you believe in it - if it was up to you, you'd also bring back the Rack, the Iron Maiden, and the Cat-o'-Nine-Tails to reinforce any punishment meted out in the event of a guilty conviction.

Guaranteed that the defense attorney would move to have you excused from the case...
    Last edited by Leslie Langford; 08-05-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    So far, I've avoided doing time. I've had some good reasons for not serving. And, some good excuses!
    I'd list them, but that would be WRONG!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

If I remember correctly there was a thread a while back about a member who did the JD dressed and she had no problems and was treated well. Of course I think that was in California, where it seems that everything is accepted.

I had jury duty last year. Wore a 3 piece male suit and was not called. Apparently criminals don't want a well dressed well educated male on their jury! Only poorly dressed middle aged females! Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

General nuisance AliceJaneInNewcastle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    I had jury duty last year. Wore a 3 piece male suit and was not called. Apparently criminals don't want a well dressed well educated male on their jury! Only poorly dressed middle aged females! Lol.
    I wonder how I'd go in a suit, with my long nails painted to match my tie, and my bra-band length hair straightened and down.
    Last edited by AliceJaneInNewcastle; 08-05-2011 at 03:10 AM. Reason: fix typo

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    My former employer wrote a letter explaining that my skills were very valuable and it would cause them hardship if I was forced to miss work. I had no jury duty and no problems. I am now self employed, so any loss of work would be a problem.
    If I were on trial, I would not want someone like me on a jury (I am not very objective, I can't stand a criminal). Some of us are just not meant to serve on a jury, and sitting in a room all day is just a waste of time.
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

If you would decide to go dressed, make sure you dress in a manner appropriate for the setting. Also, I wouldn't reccommend making bogus excuses to try and get out of serving, you don't want to be charged with contempt of court, might change your vacation plans for you. I do know in some places, your employer can claim that your absence would be a hardship, that might be your best move.

I have been on several juries over the years. My best ones that I got excused from, one by accident and the other I had no control over. The one, they where trying to select a jury and they just started the process, they wern't even asking question to anyone yet . They said it was a DUI case and named the defendent, as soon as I heard the name, couldn't help myself, I started laughing, they said do you know the defendent and I said yes, they said your excused. (he was a lush)
    The secound one was a murder trial. I told them I was on pain meds and had trouble paying attention sometimes, they picked me anyway. The second day of the trial, as they where presenting evedence, I started dosing off and the judge saw me, called a recess, called me up to the bench and excused me on the spot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've been summoned alot over the years, and I have had time conflicts on a few. Calling the jury coordinator to tell them that I'll be out of town, but that I believe in performing my civic duty, could they please reschedule me at a later date. I've never had a problem.

Kiva

I’ve been called a number of times, never actually made it on a jury. One trial was civil and anyone owning a boat was excused – I owned a boat at the time. Another involved a case from one of the small cities bordering San Diego where I had been an LEO. Another the Judged asked if I could be impartial since I had been an LEO and I said yes, the Defense Counsel then asked a lot of questions and when he was satisfied and said I would do the DA stood up and said I was excused – I think he felt that I was trying too hard to be impartial and over doing it. Another time the Judged asked me if I would take the word of the Border Patrol Officer over that of the defendant and I said “Well I would certainly believe this fine looking, clean-cut, gentleman (looking at the officer) over that scruffy looking person over there (looking in the direction of the defendant)” and I was excused. Three or four other times my name just wasn’t called.

While I was an LEO my Captain got called and the Judge told him that being a serving LEO wasn’t sufficient to be excused. My Captain said he was glad to hear that because he was looking forward to serving because he felt he would be the perfect juror. When asked why he thought that, my Captain replied, with a straight face, that he always knew when someone was lying because his nose would itch and his nose had never let him down when interrogating a suspect – he was immediately excused.

Another retired LEO said that in more than twenty years as an LEO he had never witnessed a false arrest by a uniformed officer in the field so if the defendant had been arrested in the field by a uniformed officer, rather than some time later by detectives following up on leads, he didn’t see how the man could be anything but guilty – he too was excused.

Another person told the Judge that he was absolutely impartial and then added that he hoped the trial would start pretty soon so they could find the defendant guilty and he could home early. He received a long lecture from the Judge including a threat of being charged with contempt, but when the Judge was through the Defense Attorney excused him.
    Babs

Platinum Member
    why not go as Nathalie. She's cute, but still might be excused. And remind your boss that jury duty, tho its a pain in the *** is also a civic duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia Anne View Post
    I'd go as Klinger! Hairy legs and all!
    No hairy legs with me, Cynthia.
    When I'm girl, I'm all girl. ...no half measures here.

I like karren Hutton's idea the best. the idea of dealing with someone that looks sharp and important would be a hindrance to the lawyers involved.

Leslie, I have no interest in degrading the TG community, that includes myself.

I keep forgetting the fact that trials are painful expereinces to both parties involved. For instance, the last time I got called for jury duty, it involved an infant death where the parents were suing a doctor for his treatment, which the baby died from.
    "Showboating", or "me being me" seems a little insensitive if i showd up en femme, now that I look back on it. I guess it's my feminine side that is showing compassion here, even in the face of adversity of others.
    Last edited by NathalieX66; 08-05-2011 at 02:42 PM.

I am an engineer. I have never served on a jury, but I have been told that usually engineers are excused. I guess they just don't want someone who looks at things too objectively.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"