Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Closeted Crossdressers Lack "GUTS" and a "SACK." Or do We?

Closeted Crossdressers Lack "GUTS" and a "SACK." Or do We?

I am a MtF crossdresser, and I choose to be in the closet. But why am I in the closet? Do I lack “guts” and a “sack?” In a thread started by Pythos (“Who here hates hiding?”), a member stated that those that hide, i.e., those in the closet such as I, lack “guts” and a “sack.”

In response to Pythos’ legitimate, well-thought out and well-intentioned question, I responded, in essence, that although I love my closet, and am happy within it, that there are certain things I would enjoy doing in public, such as keeping my body hairless and smooth during the summer, and displaying my painted toes in public that I do not do. In response, the following was posted:

Quote Originally Posted by Duana View Post
    There's only one reason why anyone can't keep their body smooth and toes painted... guts.
    In response to this member, I explained that “guts” was not the issue, rather the real issue for me is my “reality,” – i.e., I have a job and a family to think about above and beyond my own selfish desires. And such “selfish desires,” in the context I have written, presumes I have desire to dress in public. Incidentally, but of no consequence to this post, I do not. I am quite happy within my closet.

Regardless, my abbreviated explanation was met with further insult. Specifically, the response to my post stated:

Quote Originally Posted by Duana View Post
    Your entire argument is built on the premise that you'd be "throwing it all away." I say your premise is false.

Stay in the closet, Anne. It's CDs like you that create and perpetuate the very situation you lament.

I just drove home from work in denim short shorts, shaved legs and pink toenails. I stopped for gas, a cold drink, went to the grocery store and went to check my mail after I got home. Every day, people become MORE aware of CDs because of me. What are YOU doing for us?
    In yet another response, the very same member went on to state “We would suffer less ridicule [if we all came out] . . . . But that's not going to happen until some people grow some sack.”

So is this where the closeted crossdressing community is? Are we really comprised of gutless, sackless girls? I know some here would argue what’s the point of having a “sack” in the first place, but I digress . . . .

Seriously, though, since I have joined this forum in March, I have seen and participated in this argument before. Heck, I even unwittingly started such an argument, having no idea whatsoever that there were crossdressers out there that despised me because I am in the closet.

But why am I really in the closet? Fortunately, I know the answer to my own question. I am in the closet because I love my closet, I have an accepting wife, I live in a community that would discriminate against me, both my career and my wife’s career would by in jeopardy, I have a six year old child that I would prefer not to be bullied in the school yard because of me, I have bills to pay, I have friends that I would prefer to keep, I would prefer to maintain my years of work and effort in networking among various people and businesses, and I have no desire to share this part of myself with others, with the exception of this otherwise wonderful forum.

Despite the unfortunate belief of some here, not every crossdresser has a desire to express herself in public. I am one such crossdresser. Oddly enough, I also just happen to love myself, accept myself, and thrive within the life I have created for myself. What more can I ask for?

Noticeably absent from my list of reasons why I choose not to leave the closet, however, if you take the time to review my list, you will note that I have not listed that I suffer from a lack of “guts” or a “sack.”

So in this, how am I, or any of my other closeted sisters, the target of such hateful, vicious stones thrown by other crossdressers? Such militant crossdressers may claim that they “love” all, and want the “best” for all, but who are they to determine what is best for each individual crossdresser? Last time I checked, I do not recall voting for a Supreme Crossdresser. Do they want what is best for all, or do they selfishly want what is best for themselves? Unless I am completely missing something, and I do not believe I am, it makes absolutely no sense to me.

I, for one, support all members of the transgendered community, whether in the closet or out in the open. We have it hard enough as it is without engaging in such internal fighting and squabbles, do we not?

And as for what I am doing for the likes of those crossdressers that chastise me for not coming out of my closet, what do I owe such a group in the first place? I owe them nothing! This is my life, and I shall live my life according to how I deem fit. I am a crossdresser, and I am quite proud to be one. But this does not mean that I also have to be a martyr, or sign up for a life of transgender activism.

For those of you that are out and about in public, doing what you believe will help the community as a whole, I thank you, and appreciate your efforts. Truly, I do. But please do not cross the line by attempting to recruit me, or any of my other closet dwelling sisters, into your cause through fear and shame tactics. Crossdressers are composed of a beautiful, caring, loving folk. Let’s please be appreciative of each other, supportive of each other, and not lower ourselves to the standards of those who discriminate against us. After all, we cannot possibly expect discrimination to cease against us, if we discriminate against each other within our own ranks.

So the question to my fellow crossdressing closet dwellers is this – do we lack “guts” and a “sack,” or are there other reasons why we remain in the closet? And to those of you out there that cast stones at me and my sisters, know that I respect and hope for the best for you. I support all crossdressers. I simply ask for the same consideration, respect, and support that I give to you. I hope that is not to much to ask for . . . .

Oh Anne I hate to tell you this but you are wasting perfectly good eloquence on what is basically the same as yelling down a well.

I've seen your other posts on this subject and your point is very well stated. I happen to agree with you 100% and I share your frustration at being "called out" by the militants. But, the people you are trying to reach are unreachable. There is an element of any society that honestly feels like their opinions should not only be heard but seriously considered. To them, brushing off their position as mere advice to be taken or discarded is literally insulting. They seriously think their input is more valuable and you should consider yourself quite fortunate to be receiving it. It sounds like I'm kidding, but I'm not.

These people do not exist in my life because I simply won't allow it anymore. To paraphrase a greater mind than I, "I do not suffer fools or control freaks gladly". Much like pessimists and complainers, these people are poison and I've found my life to be so much more pleasant by avoiding them altogether. It's not nearly as easy on the internet as it is in real life though is it.

So there are TS women who don't want me in their club and CD'rs who don't want you in theirs. Breathe it in baby because this is what it feels like to stand against the wind. ;-)

You can be part of my club any time.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Reason stands that not everyone is equally effective in their skills to debate, thus you find the type of responses that I've noticed appearing on this forum as of late.

With regard to the quote attributed to Duana: "What are YOU doing for us?", my answer is a simple one:

As a member of this community, I am not required nor do I feel the need to do anything,... in the same sense that by being a musician, I am not required nor do I feel the need to do anything to help further the community of local musicians who so desperately want to be heard,...in the same sense that by being a parent, I am not required nor do I feel the need to do anything to assist all the parents of the world who may not be struggling with their own personal family issues.

My choices in life depend less on the amount of "guts" I have or the weight of my "sack" but are based more on the amount of brains I use to make the correct choices in my life, which at this point, still affects a number of people that I care about.... but I'm not denying anyone here the right to prefer the former so feel free to march to your own drummers cos I do.

jenn

I think that it's easy to insist that others break out of their closet into the mainstream when you don't have to go to that person's job, community or be in a relationship with their spouse. That detachment is what I think makes comments of that sort possible. I don't think that people should be shamed into coming out.

However...

I refuse to believe it when people say they love their closet. The only time I love restriction is when it's around my waist. Seems to me like you've weighed the options and the risks outweigh the benefits. That's perfectly logical. Divers that go down into the waters in a cage do so because there are sharks in the water, not because shark cages are so awesome that you would rather stay in them than swim around free.

I think fear drives most people to stay in the closet, but it is a very understandable, human type of fear and I don't think it's fair to call people "gutless" who take the "better safe than sorry" approach.
    Last edited by ReineD; 08-06-2011 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Violet you can quote specific parts of an OP, but quoting the whole thing is redundant since it is already there. :)

General nuisance AliceJaneInNewcastle's Avatar
    The way I see it, there are 2 distinct categories of CDs who are in the closet, and it is entirely normal for someone to move from the first to the second, because a lot of us start off in the first category and move to the second. Some then move further to going out, some don't. It is also entirely normal for some people to remain in the first category for their entire life. Everybody has a place within the gender spectrum at any given time in their life.

The first category is those who have no desire to ever go out. The second category is those who do have a desire to go out but don't.

As best I can determine, you are in the first category and are talking specifically about others who are also in the first category.

I don't have a problem with people who don't want to go out, and I would never pressure them to go out because it's clearly not what they want.

To the people who do want to go out but are too fearful of the perceived consequences to do so, I and others here try to show that most of the fears that stop them are irrational.

Who is going to bully my 8yo son in the school yard? The kid whose grandmother (one of my neighbours) is in a lesbian relationship? One of my TS friends was out for the entire time her son was at school, as she was already full time and on hormones when he was conceived. He has always called her dad, and never had a problem all the way through school including a religious high school. To some kids today, having a gender variant parent is a status symbol.

The only closeted CDs that I really have an issue with are those who emphasise the negative things that they imagine could happen and try to convince others who do want to go out not to. I believe that such behaviour is incredibly inappropriate and does not help anybody.

Obviously with some people it might be true, with others it might not. It depends on each situation.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Violetgray View Post
    I refuse to believe it when people say they love their closet. The only time I love restriction is when it's around my waist. Seems to me like you've weighed the options and the risks outweigh the benefits. That's perfectly logical. Divers that go down into the waters in a cage do so because there are sharks in the water, not because shark cages are so awesome that you would rather stay in them than swim around free.
    To continue your diving analogy, do you not think that the caged divers "love" their cage whilst it prevents them from being eaten by the sharks?

The divers may wish that they could swim around freely but in the hostile environment of the shark-infested waters at least they are able to indulge in their love of being underwater in safety.

In the same way, Anne has already said that there are things that she wishes she could do, but in the hostile environment where she lives, it is better to have the protection of the closet and for this reason she "loves" the closet for the fact that it allows her to indulge her cross-dressing in safety.

Going back to the OP (although I don't quite fit either of the two audiences that Anne was addressing), no-one has the right to bully another member into going out or staying in. We may share our experiences to try to encourage you, but we do not have the right to insist that you copy us.

There is a place for those who act as advocates (well there had better be or I have wasted my life) but those of us who take on such a role have no right to look down on those for whom we claim to be acting as advocates.

In the other thread, someone stated quite baldly that you were hiding because of your fears but then quite correctly went on to say that it is your choice whether you do this or not.

All through our lives we weigh up the possible consequences of whatever we are thinking of doing, then if we fear the negative consequences more than the apparent benefits, we decide not to act on that desire. Sometimes, our fears may be unfounded, or at least exaggerated, but only we have the right to make that choice for our own lives - no-one else.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

GUTLESS! Really! You call me gutless and I'll spit some beachnut in your eye! And than the real fun can began! Sorry! Some people bring out the beast in me!
    I would rather be considered gutless than to be so self centered and selfish! There's no room in my life for selfishness! Although I'm not in the closet I think it takes REAL guts to stay in there and put your family first! To give up somthing such as not going in public dressed for your wife and childs future is an act of unselfishness and takes guts to do! Hugs Anne! Love you girl!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Hi.

Anne . is that it because you dont go out dressed so what , i see no problem with that , in fact why should any one place on you thier thoughts as to because they do some thing that you cant do.

Try this i have dyslexcia major learning probs cant spell many words , have no memory from age 1 to 6. & even 7 , what i do have im not sure of & that was told by my Mum. a loner hated being in front of people , could not string 2 lines to gether let alone stand in fornt of people & talk. plus a lot of other probs . & no camaras im gone.

would you say i dont have the guts to do any of those things or would it be it was not posible to do them ,certinly not in my former years some 20 years ,

You see some times there are issues that we can not work through or we are incapible to do it , for what ever reason.

People should realise we cant all be speakers or fly planes or be builders or be out & dressed.

Im a woman in my own right , been in front of over 3 millon people T V nation wide talked to 100;s of people in meetings interviewed for papers , im a builder & have flown planes.

How could i, i over came so many diffcultys in my life not perfectly in every detail . yet i have . i wont say i did that by my self no . i had help at the right time .

Im a strong woman & i needed to be to be able to be who i am & get where i am now.

Now this does not mean or implyed you have to do what iv been able to do it just says we are all different & we dont all do the same things in our lifes & its not a test that we all have to pass,
    Its about being who we are , we are individuales not robots .I have not put this up to say oh look im better than you or others , its about we can work to gether we can help each other to be who we should be , to encougage each other, along the way. i look at others here & think they can do things i cant do,

Im not jealous & why should i be . i think its great we all have some thing to offer. i have my lacks my failings & things i'v been able to do .

One miner ? whats ment by sack.thats got me.

...noeleena...

How insensitive it is to call anyone gutless and lacking a sack because we are not like them. I consider myself in the closet but with the door open since I have shared this side of me with very carefully selected friends and loved ones. But the cost of going public dressed in fem mode is way to high. No, it's not fear, it's common sense! it's also my choice not to be pointed at, laughed at, humiliated by even those I don't know. Yes, I care what people think of me...again, even those I will never see again. So I'll stay semi closeted for the sake of my own comfort level. I've seen men out ion public that look hideous dressed feminine. Especially those that have beards or mustaches, or otherwise do not attempt to blend or pass! I would not and could not humiliate myself to go public looking like a clown and become a laughing stock. I believe some should stay in the closet. I would be read by 90% of people and that would embarrass me and perhaps make some very uncomfortable in dealing with me. I will not thrust my pension to dress on those that would be uncomfortable with it.
    The person who said those of us in the closet lack a sack and are gutless is totally out of order. As others have said, we need to live our lives to make us happy. It is not up to anyone to dictate where or when I crossdress.

Gold Member
    Just so that it doesn't get lost in the message, I want to put up front that it takes guts to suppress a part of yourself for the good of your family. That certainly won't fit everyone, but there are some that it fits.

When you come on this forum, you will find that if there is a possible opinion, there is probably someone who will voice it, good or bad. Most of the time I just scroll down and not waste my breath (note I said "most") on the ones that are unaccepting. I am here to get and receive support, to feel for the other members, and to laugh with them. We have a common bond no matter whether we are CD, TS, spouse, daughter, friend, etc...

I don't care if we make presenting in woman's clothing mainstream. There will be some that only want to do it in private. So what? It is called having rights. Sometimes it may be because of work, family, friends, or the need doesn't drive a person to go out. Pick another thousand reasons. It is up to a person to decide what they want to do and it doesn't show a lack of any type of intestinal fortitude if you don't go out.

As someone who gets out, I want to support those that are trying to get out in the beginning. But I try to always preface my comments saying "if" they want to get out. A person has to make that determination on their own. For those that say that getting out makes us more mainstream and that will lead us down the path to acceptance, yes that is probably true. But we aren't all in a position to step out front. That is okay, we all have to measure if it is right for us or not.

Very well said Sue! I agree 100%
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 08-06-2011 at 09:28 AM. Reason: You dont need to quote the whole of the previous post

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia Anne View Post
    GUTLESS! Really! You call me gutless and I'll spit some beachnut in your eye! And than the real fun can began! Sorry! Some people bring out the beast in me!
    I would rather be considered gutless than to be so self centered and selfish! There's no room in my life for selfishness! Although I'm not in the closet I think it takes REAL guts to stay in there and put your family first! To give up somthing such as not going in public dressed for your wife and childs future is an act of unselfishness and takes guts to do! Hugs Anne! Love you girl!
    [SIZE="3"]

Cynthia Anne, I believe your response, is what I feel, those in the closet are really choosing. Gutless by no means. Family should always come first! We need to keep or priorities straight.
    [/SIZE]
    Marcia (LOVES) Blue

I do not hide in the closet, because those close around me already know of my gift. Those who dont, are not either mature enough or do not know simply because they gain nothing and I lose nothing by them knowing v.s not knowing. Also, It really should not be looked at as hiding in the closet untill you fail to disclose information with someone of great emotional value and trust to you. Best friend/lover/so etc. Rather I look at it as respect for everyone else. No one wants to be the center of attention. To have a spotlight right on you and your mannerisms. I dont want to know if mr. x is cheating on his wife, its none of my concern. The same goes for mr.z Its none of his concern that I enjoy shaving my legs, painting my nails, putting on makeup, and going to a rave in my best club outfit and dancing with my girlfriend the entire night.

Point is, noone wants to be the center of attention with EVERY person they encounter. And everyone will have something to blush about when the light is shined on every dark crevice of someones mind/life.

Hose & Heel Loving Divia. Lee Andrews's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with being in the closet. I have one foot out of the closet and it works for me. I don't need to prove anything to anybody. Cross-dressing acceptance will or will not happen without me and that is my choice. For my family and I this is how dressing works, hidden. I'm lucky to have an somewhat accepting wife and my closet is my house. Good enough for me.

If pushing the boundaries works for you, good, have at her. Calling people gutless for not doing it your way is horseshit. Each person needs to look at what works for them and not a stranger on the Net.

I have to live my life not you.
    Trying to come to grips with this lovely thing called Crossdressing.

Thankful there is a place to ask for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Andrews View Post
    Nothing wrong with being in the closet. I have one foot out of the closet and it works for me. I don't need to prove anything to anybody. Cross-dressing acceptance will or will not happen without me and that is my choice. For my family and I this is how dressing works, hidden. I'm lucky to have an somewhat accepting wife and my closet is my house. Good enough for me.

If pushing the boundaries works for you, good, have at her. Calling people gutless for not doing it your way is horseshit. Each person needs to look at what works for them and not a stranger on the Net.

I have to live my life not you.
    You made me think of something, the type of person who calls on gutless/loser/doing it wrong on a subject that can be interpeted many different ways is an elitest attitude. It happens in all cultures. School culture(you made the wrong friends), video game culture(you should have done x not y), drug culture(why arent you shooting that up its a waste), music culture(techno is life, dio is gods voice etc.), car culture(your honda is a pos my chevvy is the way to go), CD/TS/TV culture(your not doing it as good as me, or enough like me, so your wrong). There will always be elitests, and biggots. Infact this attitude started ww2. The jews werent being humans correctly in the bigots eyes. It was nothing to do with any respect, disrespect, or understanding. They were doing it wrong in the bigots eyes.

TL;DR

Those who say you/me/anyone is gutless, is simply an elitest, and theyre going to be EVERYWHERE in life.

There are times that I wish I had never ventured out of the closet. My wife has now lost at least two friends that she attributes to me. In addition she tells me that she is reluctant to make new friends because of what I am. The rational part of me knows that she is using me as an excuse, but still, I sometimes wish that I hadn't given her the excuse.
    For about a year I was a manager at my company - right up until the wrong person found out about me and made it a point to tell everyone to include our director. Less than a month later I was told that they needed my skills more as an engineer than as a manager, and I was pretty much given the choice - go back to being an engineer or go unemployed. The good news is that I hated being a manager anyway, but still . . .
    My (almost) eight year old daughter knows about me. So far it hasn't complicated her life, but who knows what will happen later.

There are MANY days when I wish I had kept my mouth shut, kept my head down, and lived a "normal" life. Lived a life where I hadn't complicated my career, hadn't made my wife's life harder, and didn't risk serious complications to my daughters social life. If your instincts tell you that you should stay in the closet, then do what your guts and your heart tell you to do, and to hell with what anyone else thinks. In the end it is you and your family that make these choices and that live with the consequences.

The sooner everyone here realizes that none of us here are gutless, the better. (Well there maybe one or two but not for the reasons we are talking about.) We are all dealing with our gender status one way or another. Some feel the need to leave the closet. That takes some "guts" but it also takes guts to look at your priorities and live by them. Anne, you have assessed them and appear to be living by them. It takes guts to say my family's well being comes ahead of my desires. With the often strong desires that come with CDing, it takes a lot of will power (guts) to control them. You (and everyone else here who has some modicum of control over their life even if it isn't their ideal) should be commended for dealing with the hand that has been dealt to you! It takes GUTS to do so.
    Leann

Enjoy who you are but stay safe.

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    I do not care if certain members that I willl never see or meet choose to label me as gutless. My reality is I also have a mortgage and my families health insurance to pay for. So therefore I will continue to keep my gutless self in the closet in order maintain those things and will not go jeopardize my families life for the cause or to stick it to the man I do not enjoy it but it very much so is my reality that I have to answer to every day.
    [SIZE="3"]MUSCULAR GIRLS ARE PRETTY!!![/SIZE]

Current Inspirational Song-"Running Free"- Kissin Dynamite

M-E-A-T, M-A-C-H-I-N-E, MEAT MACHINE!, MEAT MACHINE!!!
    The Governor for President 2016!!
    All I want for Christmas is an Anita Model Synth

Making our own choices is what freedom means in the first place.

Accepted by me and mine Andrea's Lynne's Avatar
    I'm with you, Anne! Do what makes you feel comfortable
    Love

Lynne

To those who are in the closet, have you considered pushing the envelope? This means wearing fem clothing, or makeup in male mode? For example, wearing a fem hairstyle, nail polish, or other items that are considered feminine in male mode? Women obtained fashion freedom by wearing men's clothing such as pants, neckties, men's shoes, etc as a woman. In other words, not trying to deceive folks that you are the opposite gender. Men are already openly wearing earrings, even large diamonds. Why don't we just start pushing the envelope of what is considered to be acceptable for men? Women have been doing this for years and they have achieved fashion freedom.

In my case, I have a fem hairstyle with highlights 24/7, wear women's shoes and display my bright red toenails in women's sandals whenever I am not at work but I don't go all of the way to appear as a woman.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    For some of us, our employers have very strict dress code policies which do not allow any variation from the normal male presentation, this can include having no long hair, nail polish, ear rings etc. In other words you must appear as a "100% guy"
    [SIZE="3"]MUSCULAR GIRLS ARE PRETTY!!![/SIZE]

Current Inspirational Song-"Running Free"- Kissin Dynamite

M-E-A-T, M-A-C-H-I-N-E, MEAT MACHINE!, MEAT MACHINE!!!
    The Governor for President 2016!!
    All I want for Christmas is an Anita Model Synth

Quote Originally Posted by Jocelyn Quivers View Post
    For some of us, our employers have very strict dress code policies which do not allow any variation from the normal male presentation, this can include having no long hair, nail polish, ear rings etc. In other words you must appear as a "100% guy"
    Have you considered that these dress codes may be illegal? If women are allowed to wear earrings and long hair, then the same must be allowed for men otherwise it is considered discrimination.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

[SIZE="4"]We are individuals brought together because of crossdressing

It is an individual choice made after receiving as much information as we can give them.

We are not hear to judge anyone we are hear to support them in anyway we can.[/SIZE]
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations