Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wife and I had "the talk"

My wife and I had "the talk"

Sorry about the lengthy post...

First, let me say that I have been with my wife since we were in high school, and now and we have now officially been together more than half our lives. In our younger and freer days, she would participate in my dressing as a fun little thing to do but as time when on, my dressing got pushed further and further into the closet. I think she thought it was just a phase and as we settled down, it would kind of go away. I think I thought the same thing, but of course, most of us know that it is never just a phase. Over the past couple of years, I found myself dressing on my own without her knowing and coming to the realization that dressing up was more than just a phase for me.

Recently, my wife found a couple of my things I have used to dress up with around the house. After the initial shock and surprise, the "talk" kind of got swept under the carpet and we both moved forward like nothing really happened. At that point, I knew what my wife found would always be in the back of her mind and I didn't want her to have any doubts that I was only dressing alone, so I figured I better explain myself and see what happened.

It should be noted that I was prepared for all possibilities during the talk. I had already made up my mind that if my wife had a real problem with my dressing, I would give it up forever, no matter how hard it would be. Preparing myself for that possibility ahead of time actually made it a bit easier to have the talk because no matter how my wife reacted, her love was more important than anything. Since she participated in my dressing in the past, I was hopeful that she would be at least open to my dressing in private, but I didn't go in with any expectations.

The talk went well. It was a lot more difficult to actually spit the words out of my mouth than I anticipated, but it felt great to get it out in the open. I got the usual questions, "You don't want to be a girl, do you?" and "You're not gay are you?" I tried to explain my feelings and then waited for a reaction. I explained that I would still be the man she has known for all these years and has been married to the past 7 years. However, I do have a different side to me that likes to come out now and again.

Much to my surprise, the reaction was positive. She told me that as my husband she would support me and stand by me no matter what. She wants to have a "dress-up" night very soon and said she would love to see me dressed and would love to do my makeup for me. I still plan on taking things slow. She hasn't decided if she wants to see me fully dressed or not, and I am not pushing anything. At this point, anything is a step in the right direction and I don't want to risk pushing too hard, too fast and turning her off to the notion completely. I think baby steps is probably the best way to go about things and that way I won't risk crossing the line of her acceptance.

So, I am planning on a "girls" night around the house very soon. I'm not sure what to do exactly, and I'm sure it will be a little awkward the first time being dressed around her again but I'm very happy that my wife is supportive and willing to participate at any level she is comfortable. Now that it is out in the open, I feel like a completely new person. I feel like if I am on this site and my wife happens to walk into the room, I don't have to dive across the desk and unplug the monitor just so she doesn't see what I was doing or reading about.

I was kind of hoping the reaction would go that route and knew my wife well enough that it wasn't a complete surprise, yet having that "talk" was a lot tougher than I even anticipated. I do feel like my wife and I are closer now then we were before the talk and as long as I keep myself in check and go at her pace of acceptance, I think we will have an even stronger relationship.

Just a girly girl. Sweet Sabrina's Avatar
    Congratulations It is so hard on yourself when constantly hiding. It wears on you and when you are able to come out to your wife like that a huge burden/weight is lifted. You feel like a new woman. Good luck with the girls night out and enjoy that special time with your special lady

Hugs
    Sabrina
    Sabrina

I know what you are going through and it means a lot not to hide from your wife-- congratulations on "the talk"...........Debra

Congrats, It sounds like things worked out pretty well. I agree, even though she kind of "Knew" it is VERY hard to spit it out.

That's great that it's gone so well for you. Must be a big relief in a lot of ways. I find it's always helpful to keep pointing out that they say that 1 in 20 guys are crossdressers. So it's far from abnormal, if that's the main hangup. That having been said, it's also understandable that since most gg's don't set out to date us and when they find out that's what they've ended up with, there's always a lot of questions to be answered. I've found what helped with breaking it to my SO is that somewhere early on in life, I just really became fascinated with girls and everything that made them different from me. And eventually I got turned on by trying to emulate them.

Congrats to you! I know it was hard to do, but it will prove to be so worth it. I know you feel like a load is lifted off your back. I wish you luck with this new open and honest future.
    I know you did not ask for advice as to what to do on the upcoming "girls" night, but the romantic in me thinks it would be great to have a dozen roses and a card expressing your love and appreciation to preset to your wife. Perhaps a nice candle lit diner for two, then a movie as you sit together on the sofa with her favorite wine or drink. Whatever you do, I hope it proves to be a nice evening for the both of you.

Congrats Erin.

Figured out what you might like to do after the dress up? Maybe a nice bottle of wine and a chick flick?
    DonnaT

Once a Girl,always a Girl Dita_B's Avatar
    New Westminster, a city within the city of Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Don't fool both yourself and your wife... Her reaction comes from the fact that she loves you and thinks that it's just a phase that will eventually wear off... And you have played along, confirming that it is a phase, but hoping that this is the first step for more to follow...

It's not for nothing that there is a joke around that says that the difference between a crossdresser and a transgender is 3 years... Your wife has married a guy and she is scared that you want to become a girl, which is most probably unacceptable for her... Hence her direct questions...

Crossdressing has your interest and doing it makes you feel good, the motivator for just about everything in life... You have entered a slippery slope from which there is practically no return... Don't fool both yourself and your wife that you can keep this in check... you'll want more and more and more, until your relationship comes to a head...

Be prepared to go this road alone... sad, but true...

Dita xo

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Mistakes don't exist, there are only steps on the way to perfection...

OK now its time for all the rest of us who haven't had "The talk" to get over it and do the right thing. In my own case it was prior to getting serious with my G/f now wife and while it has been an interesting 24 years, the honesty and clarity is well worth it. All of the, now grown, kids know also there are no secrets in our household.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

You know your SO best of all however will a romatic dinner be a goood idea. How about a chic feel good movie, pop corn, candy and soda. No expectations just two girl friends sitting, at home, watching some really great movies. But the most important thing is to let her know that her man loves her.
    Alice

It sounds like your talk went as well as can be expected. Now the goal is to keep things progressing in the desired direction. Plan a definite date for that girls night out!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Congratulations Erin! I too recently had a much better than expected response from my wife. I didn't realize how much of a burden my hiding my other self from her was, until now. I think our relationship is stronger than ever after me having gotten this out in the opem with my wife. Please PM me if you'd like to compare notes.

[QUOTE=Erin_Campbell_OH;
    I do feel like my wife and I are closer now then we were before the talk and as long as I keep myself in check and go at her pace of acceptance, I think we will have an even stronger relationship.[/QUOTE]
    This was the part I was happiest to read about! Having a stronger relationship because of something you both can share is awesome! My relationship with my fiance is amazing...not just because of being a cd...but that helps. We love each other very much and we have the best of times with Joanna. Best of luck!

Joanna

You should be proud of yourself the way you've handled this thus far! Just remember to let her take the lead! And most important push hard not to push her into something that she is not ready for! Congrads and hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

I'm glad your wife was so open to your dressing Good luck.

I think it is wonderful that you and your wife truly love each other after so many years togetherand that it is not just a bond of convenance. Having the talk is difficult as many of know, but she has shown acceptance and that is good. Her wanting to participate by doing your make up is even better. Don't be afraid and show her the full Erin. Make it a special night and let things take their own course. Have fun.

This does not make a lot of sense. ? She wants to have a "dress-up" night very soon and said she would love to see me dressed and would love to do my makeup for me. I still plan on taking things slow. She hasn't decided if she wants to see me fully dressed or not, and I am not pushing anything

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    I believe you have it right when you talk about taking it slow. Being Able to talk about it is critical. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Dita_B View Post

It's not for nothing that there is a joke around that says that the difference between a crossdresser and a transgender is 3 years...
    That quote really is what you called it "a JOKE"

There are plenty of us married for over 40 years who have successfully managed to keep our crossdressing adventures under control after sharing them with our wives and have no intentions of esclating it to ever become more

Platinum Member
    There's alwasy a danger that those of us commenting may project our own experience or misgivings upon others. Still, as Kendra says, there are plenty of us who have managed to keep both a happy marriage (12 years here) and cross dressing actively. I truly believe that since your wife has responded positively to the honest and open communication , and taking it a step furhter, suggests a dress up night, then there is every rational reason to beleive that you can incorporate this part of yourself successfully into your marriage. I also really beleive that the key is to relax and allow her to enjoy sharing in this part of you!

I think it's great to be able to communicate with your wife on such a sensitive subject like you have.
    I hope every thing works out good for both of you.

Don't fool both yourself and your wife... Her reaction comes from the fact that she loves you and thinks that it's just a phase that will eventually wear off... And you have played along, confirming that it is a phase, but hoping that this is the first step for more to follow...

It's not for nothing that there is a joke around that says that the difference between a crossdresser and a transgender is 3 years... Your wife has married a guy and she is scared that you want to become a girl, which is most probably unacceptable for her... Hence her direct questions...

Crossdressing has your interest and doing it makes you feel good, the motivator for just about everything in life... You have entered a slippery slope from which there is practically no return... Don't fool both yourself and your wife that you can keep this in check... you'll want more and more and more, until your relationship comes to a head...

Dita xo

It's been 20 years since I told my wife. From the very beginning she accepted my little quirk -- although at the time it was a huge, fraught issue for me -- and CDing has been a fun part of our life together ever since.

I've never wanted to become a woman. I have no femme alter-ego. I just love to dress. The "talk" marked the beginning of an increasingly fulfilling period in our relationship. My superb wife's acceptance was a turning point in my life; it put an end to many years of self-doubt and anxiety.

So forgive me, Dita, but I think you may be making the mistake of judging others from your own experience. Everyone is different.
    Last edited by Kitsune; 08-11-2011 at 03:38 PM. Reason: sense

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
    It's been 20 years since I told my wife. From the very beginning she accepted my little quirk -- although at the time it was a huge, fraught issue for me -- and CDing has been a fun part of our life together ever since.

I've never wanted to become a woman. I have no femme alter-ego. I just love to dress. The "talk" marked the beginning of an increasingly fulfilling period in our relationship. My superb wife's acceptance was a turning point in my life; it put an end to many years of self-doubt and anxiety.

So forgive me, Dita, but I think you may be making the mistake of judging others from your own experience. Everyone is different.
    I agree with this statement. I'm not sure if i would enjoy getting fully dressed, but I know I don't want to lose my male equipment, thank you very much. I have no physical desire to "be" with a man either. Yes, I have considered this back when I wondered if I might be gay, before I came to understand some of what drives our sexuality. I am a man, with male sex drives, but I get a thrill out of female wear, and a desire to get closer to women. Would that I could find a particular female to get closer to.

Erin, congratulations, may it go smooth, and you both have lots of fun. I am quite jealous.
    Last edited by UNDERDRESSER; 08-11-2011 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDYJ View Post
    Congrats to you! I know it was hard to do, but it will prove to be so worth it. I know you feel like a load is lifted off your back. I wish you luck with this new open and honest future.
    I know you did not ask for advice as to what to do on the upcoming "girls" night, but the romantic in me thinks it would be great to have a dozen roses and a card expressing your love and appreciation to preset to your wife. Perhaps a nice candle lit diner for two, then a movie as you sit together on the sofa with her favorite wine or drink. Whatever you do, I hope it proves to be a nice evening for the both of you.
    That is an excellent idea Brandy, and hope you don't mind if I steal that one I love the thought of giving her some flowers with a card expressing my appreciation of her and her understanding. Thanks for the awesome idea and the kind words too!

Dita xo

Wow how nasty can one be, I feel sorry if this happened to you but not everyone is the same... please take no notice to Dita what you have done is very brave and.. love always conquers all... I had the talk to my other half and we are now stronger than we ever was