Thread: a couple of bridges crossed

Platinum Member

a couple of bridges crossed

Yesterday was a big day for me. I began by getting my hair done, and came out to my hair dresser. She was very cool and supportive, and came up with a very feminine do that worked with my hair.

OK, so I have the new do - but I think the pink fog settled in just a bit - and although I was satisfied with the style, I was a little disappointed that the small thin spot in back still showed through. So after days of consideration, I decided to buy a good quality wig. (pics posted)

OK, so I'm in love with the new wig...and decided to go out and celebrate. I had lunch at a popular, GLBT friendly restaurant then went home to get some work done. Last night, I really wanted to try out my new look, and my wife was traveling, so I hit two popular gay bars, and ended the night hanging out with a very friendly group of lesbians.

I headed home a little after 1 am, a little while before my step daughter got home from her job. I was still dressed when she came home...I didn't hear her come in the door and ducked quickly back into the hallway. Then, in a moment of either inspiration or foolishness, I stepped out and asked her if we could talk. And I explained the obvious - that I was a cross dresser.

I thought that she had some idea, because she'd commented on fem tops I'd worn on occasssion. But it really caught her by surprise....and of course there was no getting around the fact that I was sitting there in a tank top, skirt, hose, heels, breast forms, make up and wig.

Anyway, long story short - she was very cool with it. She was concerned that it didn't affect the relationship with her mom (she's supportive) and otherwise was curious about how long, why etc. The how long was easy to answer (all my life), but the why...well, there have been plenty of discussions on that already.

I asked her if it bothered her to have me dressed when she was home, since till now I'd been waiting for her to leave, and she said it was absolutely no problem at all. She even complemented me on my new wig and said I was "pretty". So now, she's totally won my undying affection

I know it was an impulsive act, but I'm confident in her judgement and discretion. So, now I don't have to hide at all when I"m home. What a relief!

Congratulations! It really is so much better when you do not have to hide from family and they are supportive at least a little bit! She sounds like a great ally and you can share more together than the traditional Farther and Daughter relationship.

Dana
    [SIZE="3"]Dana Rachael Stevens

The person I have always wanted to be, is within me!
    [/SIZE]

Congrats on a big day! Sounds like you had a great time, and the gamble with your stepdaughter really paid off. Could've gone either way, honestly. It's funny how sure we are that people are picking up all of these hints and clues about us, but then when told, they admit they had no idea haha.
    Kinda nice, albeit in a 'ripping a bandage off' sort of way, to finally be at ease in your home!
    Best of luck with that, and don't forget to go kinda slow at first - don't want to spook anyone lol!

~Donna

Yes I understand -- I showed my daughter (44) some pics about a year ago and "well, sooo my dads a crossdresser?"-- no sign af acceptance or rejection; but a couple of weeks ago at a local festival I came out to her fully dressed in a public park, my wife was with her! -- a little taken aback (thought I was a friend of my wifes at first) but very accepting and has mentioned going shopping a couple of times and yes it's a little more relaxed at home. Good for you and your daughter - another milestone for you..................Debra

Sometimes it is best to just do what you do and let others see rather than trying to explain it.
    Chickie

about 2 years ago my daughter(32) sat my wife and me down and told us she was a lesbian, i told her since we mwere being honest that I was a crossdresser. we both told each other that we knew and its been a great relationship since

Listen, Kim, I'm trying to document all the big steps you've taken this summer, and I really have to ask you to slow down a bit, because I just can't write that fast. However, at the risk of falling even farther behind on the documentation, I want to take a moment to congratulate you on another big step. Okay, I better get back to work now before you do another incredible thing.

Wendy

Kim, that is a great story! I'm happy for you! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustWendy View Post
    Listen, Kim, I'm trying to document all the big steps you've taken this summer, and I really have to ask you to slow down a bit, because I just can't write that fast. However, at the risk of falling even farther behind on the documentation, I want to take a moment to congratulate you on another big step. Okay, I better get back to work now before you do another incredible thing.

Wendy
    I think I've taken enough steps for a while. Probably a very good time to take some time to reflect on where our lives are and where we want to go from here. I don't mean that in an ominous way...just trying to be thoughtful.

thanks everyone!

Hi Kim,

I'm so happy for you. Not having to hide at home is huge. Way to go.

Excellent. A supportive wife and now daughter. Life can't get any better for you at this time. My wife accepts, but I would not say openly supportive. I came out to my daughter and she is very suportive, but lives in Okalahoma.

Isn't it nice not to have to hide in your own home, we hide enough from the world as it is. I hope your wife was cool with you telling the daughter in law.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Kim,

That's a nice happy ending. I can only hope it goes that well when I come out to my children. I am a little concerned. Does your wife know that you told your step daughter?
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

Platinum Member
    Hi Kim, You are so lucky to have a great family like that.

Orchid