Thread: Came out to the family

Came out to the family

Ho lawdy, I've been thinking about doing this for quite some time. As a young CD (and one who lives with parents during the summer) I've had to go out of my way to buy cosmetics and of course use them without my parents noticing, but I decided enough was enough after seeing just how little left I had in my bank accounts after paying for the books for next year's university course.

I decided to come out to my mum, and believe me I was positively ****ing myself in fear. Five minutes into the conversation and I knew I had done the right thing. She was supportive, kind, and knew exactly how I must have been feeling. I'm thankful to have such an open-minded mother (it helps that two of her best friends are a gay married couple I suppose!). As a very tall woman herself she mentioned having to go to transvestite shops to find shoes in her size when she was younger! My father took the news a little less well, but he seemed a lot more confused and unsure than angry--and still promised to support me the best he could.

Of course, its only to my parents, but still, its somewhere!

Platinum Member
    that's probably the most important and courageous step any of us could take. Congratulations and best wishes in helping your Dad work through the confusion. He might just need to be reassured that you're still in every way his son.

Congratulations on having the nerve to do that early. I regret no doing that early when I had the chance to state who I was.

So many years later everything becomes so much harder. Self acceptance, family acceptance, spouse revealing, and all the time lost that could have been so much more.

beautiful, you have the best folks on your side, you can take on the world with such support, way to go babe!

Banned Read only
    Congratulations Windy, Many, many transgendered people cannot come out to thier parents. Be it fear of rejection, humiliation, being disowned, whatever the case may be. I am happy to hear that your parents are supportive of you. It will make your life much easier in the future.

Congrads Windy! That was a big step and I'm sure it was scary! Nice to here things went well for you! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Wow, I'm so happy for you! Your mother's reaction sounds like a dream come true.

Congratulations. What a relief it must be to know that your parents still love and accept you. I just told mine last month and got a very accepting response. Of course they are in their 70's and I am the child that is going to take care of them when they need it because my siblings don't have their act together . Telling loved ones and knowing they accept you takes away the power and shame this has over so many of us. You are brave and fortunate to have done this while you are young. Good luck.

You are a very brave girl, telling my wife was the hardest thing I ever did, I've never had the nerve to tell my mother, lost my father when a young man, never found the right time to talk to mom, she is now in her 90's and I don't see any reason to tell her now, it would be to confusing for her now, and it's a shame, has I look back on my youth, and the things she did for me, or let me do, I think she would have been my strongest supporter, if only I could of had the strength to sit down and talk to her.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Congratulations Windy! Life becomes complicated enough - then layer on that being TG, and add to the mix all the twists and turns to hide it!

I'm glad you've opened up to your family at such an "early" time (I waited too long), and have been rewarded with loving, or at least grudging, acceptance. I think it shows in people that have chosen to share their TG needs with loved ones, and have been accepted - they embrace their femininity with so much less guilt, and they have this extra spark of Joie de vivre!

Congrats Windy, I'm out to my family,too. It's a long story. My sister noticed I had lots of gay,lesbian,drag queen and burlesque performer freinds in my facebook page. She asked me if I dressed and she even said she wasn't bothered by that. I live with my Sister,Mom,Nephew and my Nephew's SO and they are all cool about it. My sister doesn't think we should try to tell Mom who's 90 and didn't like it the times I tried to come out of the closet in the 70's. And too,I've got a bunch of cousins who know all about it nowadays. So basically I'd recommend being "out" to anybody who asked me my opinion. There's a lot less anxiety and worrying about how if so and so finds out what the hell am I gonna do? Yet coming out can sometimes be an invitation to things like getting kicked out of the house or losing your job! People can be real nasty about it. I don't blame any CD'r for being secretive about this business but if there's a way and there's some indication that people will be cool about it,you could be doing yourself a big favor by coming out.

*Kisses and Best Wishes* Wendy_Marie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy View Post
    Of course, its only to my parents, but still, its somewhere!
    What do you mean only your parents...? personally I think that taking that step was a huge leap....Telling the parents would be the scariest I would think of all...so if you took that leap and survived with their support......I think you can do anything you want from this point on. Congrats
    Last edited by Wendy_Marie; 08-13-2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: added statement and punctuation
    [SIZE="3"]"I can't talk girl talk when there is a guy inside my head." Gracie Lou Freebush[/SIZE]
    Is this all that's left of my life before me. Straight Jacket Memories and Seditive Highs! No Happy Ending like they always Promised...There's got to be something left for me... And I Turn my Head and Stare into the Eyes of a Stranger.
    To those of you who consider yourselves to be "Cat People" I apologize in advance for I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by Windy View Post
    ........Of course, its only to my parents, but still, its somewhere!
    Windy,

I think telling your parents is the hardest thing to do next to telling you SO and Kids. You are a brave girl. I'm glad it went well for you.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

Platinum Member
    Hi Windy, You are so lucky to have great parents like them.

Orchid