Thread: Adding crossdressing to CV?

General nuisance AliceJaneInNewcastle's Avatar

Adding crossdressing to CV?

For work reasons, I have to update my CV (resume). I've been considering listing crossdressing in my interests but would like to avoid negative connotations such as the assumption that it is fetish related.

Does anybody have any suggestions on wording?

Does anybody else here list crossdressing as an interest on their CV?

Be free - overcome fear!
    Alice,

I live full-time as a female, so I don't see any need to list it & tell the whole world that you are transgendered,
    not unless you are looking for work in a career where something like that could benefit you. I see it as being a
    source of discrimination. I wouldn't be saying anything unless I was already in a job and was going to transition.

Here in Australia if someone discriminated against me on the basis of my gender, then that is illegal here. Even
    if an employer starts asking questions or making comments about it is an invasion of my rights to privacy & is
    sexually discriminatory type behaviour. But don't hang yourself & give away your all your rights to privacy here.

So I urge you to use a lot of common sense to work out what is best for you!

I don't, but, our personnel department has added “Preferred Name” to our employee record, I have been considering filling that in with “Marsha”
    "I am Yin & Yang, North & South, Night & Day, Feminine & Masculine" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64235483@N02/

I agree that unless there is a need to let everyone know, I would avoid doing that, especially at work where you earn your living that lets you live your life as you wish. It is like asking for trouble, employment and others.

Just getting my feet wet Marie-Elise's Avatar
    I agree with the others. What does it add to your CV that will benefit you or a potential employer. As a manager, I don't care if you crossdress; I just want to know if you can do the job. On the other hand, if I see crossdressing as a hobby on your CV, I am going to think twice about interviewing you. It raises a red flag that you might be an activist type that will question every task.

Unfortunately we have to be realistic about this.
    Putting in your C.V. that you are a crossdresser is not going to help you to get a job.
    Thats just the way it is.
    So I wouldn’t.

SUZY

Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    Putting in your C.V. that you are a crossdresser is not going to help you to get a job.
    So I wouldn’t.
    SUZY
    correct, and it even gives you a disadvantage. not correct but truth. i admire those who have the courage to do it and those who accept this cv and even occupie those cd'ers. hopefully it will change one day.

Alice,I would only do it, if I was trying to get a job in a dress store, otherwise, how does it make you a better employee? When it comes to work, I believe it's on a need to know bases, and why do they need to know?
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

It is possible, but unlikely, that if an employer saw crossdressing on your CV, they would think you were a very brave, honest, and open individual. If that was the case, then I think it could help you. However, I agree with the other respondents that it is far more likely to prejudice employers against you. Perhaps you could put "costuming" on your CV, and if it comes up in the interview, you could decide whether to be more forthcoming.

Oh, there's one more way having crossdressing on your CV might help you get hired: if your prospective boss is a tranny chaser! Of course, if that happens, I suggest you don't take the job, just think about the potential for sexual harassment...

I stopped putting interests in my cv many years ago, in fact i don't include anything not directly relevant to the job I'm applying to, that means not listing irrelvant work experience too.
    Swottie

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Sure! How about (the wording in parentheses is optional):

• The ability to think outside the box (especially in the matter of clothing)
    • Ability to take risks (I will mix solids with stripes!)
    • Broad interests (especially in what the broad's wearing)
    • Physically active (can spend an entire day shopping in 4" heels)

Kathi
    Last edited by Kathi Lake; 08-14-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Platinum Member
    Hi Alice I wouldn't want to put anything about my CDing in my personal file.

Orchid

Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    So I wouldn’t.

SUZY
    It might help if you were applying at a women's clothing store or a cosmetics store.

Silver Member
    When I was in college (~1999) we were told not to put "interests" on our CVs anymore, while it was once done nowadays it was thought to be extraneous and unnecessary, though customs may be different in Australia. Years later we were also told not to put a "goal" or "objective" statement on it anymore either (make it is sterile and impersonal as possible I guess.)

As for putting down your dressing, unless you are looking for a job working with trans folks, I can't see it helping but it sure could hurt.

I don't see a chance of anything good coming from simply mentioning "crossdressing" on your resume.

However, I can think of a few related things that might belong there. For example, if you have ever been an officer of a transgender organization, or helped organize an event, that might appropriately go with other community service type activities. If you have written an article that related to gender, you could list that with other things you've published. In either case, I wouldn't go into much detail about the circumstances, just list the date, your role, and the official name of the event or title of the publication.

- Diane