Thread: What is happening to me?

What is happening to me?

This year has been by all standards an awful year. A year to forget. A year that I wished never happened, and a year that I hope is followed by a much better year. Both my father and one of my sisters have gone through hell with their respective battles with cancer. My sister is healing after brutal surgeries and treatment that no one should have to go through, but fortunately she is blessed with hope. My father is still fighting his battle, and has yet a long road to travel. It has been a heart-wrenching, incredibly emotional year.

Witnessing my sister’s and father’s battles first hand, and doing all I can to help out, provide support, and simply be there for them, I have learned many lessons that perhaps I should have otherwise known beforehand. Unfortunately, it has taken family illness to open my eyes to certain truths.

One such truth that I have learned is that we need to make the most of life while we are able to do so. One never knows when tragedy shall strike, and take all that we hold dear away. It is all too easy to take life for granted, and to coast through on cruise control. Until the reality of my family’s circumstances hit me like a brick wall, this is exactly what I was doing.

I have a good life, and I cannot complain. I am certainly more fortunate than many to be where I am in life, with a wonderful family, a fantastic job, and a relatively secure future. Although true that both my wife and I have worked extremely hard, and made many personal sacrifices to be where we are, we are in a good place.

But sometimes being in a good place, or what one believes to be a good place, is not enough. It was not enough for me, but until recently, I did not recognize this. I am a MtF crossdresser, and I have missed out on many years of growth, evolution, and maturation. I did not realize this until this year, when confronted by the potential passings-on of both my sister and my father.

I have written about this before on this forum – it is by and through the courage my sister, in particular, has exhibited simply to survive, remain a part of the family, and to raise her beautiful baby girl, that gave me the courage to seek out and experience something so simple as a professional pedicure with polish. Until this year, although I have wanted to experience such a thing for many years, I simply have not had the courage to do so. In the face of my sister’s struggles, I could not help but acquire the courage. If she could have her face and skull completely disassembled, and reconstructed through other parts of her body to get well, certainly I could do something so simple as have a pedicure. Admittedly, the comparison is ridiculous, as well it should be, but it took such an extreme situation before I finally saw at least this partial light and truth.

Before this, however, I thought I was content and happy within my closet. And for the most part, I am. I have written about it many times before on this forum – I love my closet! In this, I am most sincere and truthful.

However, something in the back of my mind convinced me to join this forum. I had known about the forum from various internet searches throughout the years, but had not spent any appreciable amount of time here, or on any other transgender support forum website, for that matter.

In the beginning of March, I joined the forum. Recognizing that I needed something to supplement my crossdressing life, and borrowing from the example of courage set forth by both my father and sister, I signed up, and jumped right in. I quickly began to realize, though, just how much I had missed out on throughout the years. I thought I knew myself. But what I learned relatively quickly greatly disheartened me, but only for a brief moment. I learned that Anne’s growth, development, and evolution had become stagnant and repressed, and had been so for many years. I really believed I had had a good handle on it, but the reality was that I did not, and that I was blind to it.

Since that time, I have grown and evolved by leaps and bounds. Prior to joining this forum, I had not ever knowingly communicated with another crossdresser. Now I have many crossdressing friends that I converse with regularly here. In fact, with the exception of my wife, prior to joining this forum, I had never even admitted to another person that I am a crossdresser.

So several months later into my membership here, just where exactly am I? I regularly visit my nail salon for pedicures; I am active on this forum; I have many crossdressing friends on this forum that I communicate with consistently; I have gone shopping for my own feminine clothing; and just on Friday I went shopping for makeup for myself, where I admitted to the SA that the makeup was for me, and showed a picture of my en femme self to the SA for purposes of assistance and improving my “look.”

I have spent my entire life in the closet. I shall remain in the closet. But, in the past couple of months, I have greatly extended the parameters of my closet. I must admit, it has been quite exciting, and I have no regrets to date. I never thought that I would be able to do such things, and yet, here I am doing them.

As amazing as it is, however, I do believe I am suffering from a bit of emotional overload. I have gone from zero to sixty in a very small amount of time. On the one hand, the past couple of months have been an amazing journey and experience, but on the other hand, just what exactly is happening to me?

On Friday, I posted a thread about my experience purchasing makeup in a department store. Working up my courage, in the end, I explained to the SA that the makeup was for me, and showed her a picture of myself en femme to assist her with her advice as to what I should consider and purchase. Before joining this forum, I would never have done this. Simply put, however, it was an incredibly liberating experience, and one which I loved every second of (with the exception of the initial nervousness and fear - lol).

In response to my thread, a member (a wonderful girl I have newly befriended) posted the following:

Anne, meet Slippery Slope.
    So is this where I am at now? Am I on a slippery slope? Her point is extremely well taken, and her response made me think. Clearly, I want more in my crossdressing life, and am taking steps to accomplish this. But at what cost? Or is there even a cost? I like to think I am smart enough not to risk such things as my livelihood simply for the pursuit of purchasing makeup and clothing in person, and I believe that I am. With great ease, on the other hand, I can acquire such things I require over the internet.

But purchasing these things myself, however, as I have just recently learned – WOW!!! Internet purchases, or purchases by and through my wife, are absolutely of no comparison. It was an amazing, emotional, and adrenaline filled moment. It felt right! It felt as this is how it should be! I was on an emotional high all day long as a result. I still am, actually, just remembering every detail of the experience.

Of course, given my circumstances, I would not do this in my home city. That would be too risky. So is it ok for me to do such things outside of my city, but within a reasonable travel distance? My selfish, needy answer is a resounding yes. With what little experience I have under my belt doing such things, I am already addicted to it. It would be extremely difficult, and depressing, to have to give this newly found sense of liberation and freedom up.

But why is this so? How can I spend an entire lifetime denying myself such things without a second thought, to all of a sudden, after joining this forum, doing such things becomes an addiction and necessity? Has the forum done this to me, or has the forum but merely assisted in opening my eyes to what has always been there within me, but that which I have failed to acknowledge? I cannot imagine the answer is not the latter, but still . . . .

In this regard, what is your experience herein? Is it similar to mine? Does my experience thus far even make sense? I have no doubt many others preceding me have experienced exactly the same scenarios and emotions, so any words of wisdom would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by Anne2345; 08-14-2011 at 10:36 AM.

As you know Anne I have also experienced the same liberation coming to this site.
    You and I do not go out dressed for our own very good reasons.
    I think we have spent our lives keeping this part of it secret because we new of no other way.
    Then we came to this site and wow! We find that we are not alone. We find that we are not odd or weird or doing something shameful. We have come out of the closet in a very real way thanks to this forum.
    And that is the reason why this forum is so important to us and many others.
    You have some unpleasant things going on in your life at the moment but life goes on for you Anne. Many more years of enjoying being Anne.
    But unlike me you sound as if you are still not satisfied with where you have got to at the moment while I am totally satisfied with my life.
    So all I can say is, be careful, be wise, and enjoy what you have got.
    You sound like you are doing all right to me girl.

All the best, SUZY
    Last edited by suzy1; 08-14-2011 at 09:54 AM.

Most of us want to feel liberated and just be who we are. Nothing at all wrong with that. You have some fears so avoid shopping nearby, as many do. Seems to me you have good self control, so I see no need to stop the shopping, and then hiding on the Internet.

You only live once.

I hope your dad and sister get better.
    DonnaT

Aspiring Member
    Anne, Your story is very touching to me. I can not fantom what you and your family have gone though. Also you have such a wonderful way with words. I would have thoght you were a professional writer like Nicholas Sparks. Or are you? It doesn't matter though. But I do want to say that you and your family are in my prays and keep us all informed of your father and sisters progress.

Donna

This is a wonderful and relevant post for me. Thanks Anne... Several weeks ago, perhaps a month, I came out to my wife of 41 years....Wow..Talk about liberating..
    Then I went to a local Payless store and tried on women's shoes...Wow...the SA actually commended me on my taste and helped me find some shoes I was looking for. I was accepted! I totally identify with this aspect...in fact, when you mentioned the pedicure, I got a craving for one...I'm away on vacation with my wife and grandson right now...For some strange reason, I've been craving a thumb ring..Something wide and woven in silver....I'll be on the lookout for it...Anyone here wear a thumb ring?..I love the look...
    Smooches, and thanks again Anne for your intelligent and thoughtful message Jackie
    Jackie

Platinum Member
    Hi Anne, Your story really makes us stop and think about life and what's going on in our own life.
    That's a very heavy load that you've got to carry.
    I hope that you are taking care of yourself with regular checkups as it looks like something that may run in your family.

You have a lot of friends on this forum We are aways here for you.

Orchid

95% of the time that I reply to a thread I say the first thought that my simple brain has! And this thought may very largely on what is going on around me at the time! The other 5% of the time I have to read the thread again and think hard not to put my foot in my mouth! I sincerly beleave this thread applys in some sense or another to everyone! Life is full of surprises! Sad as it is most of the supprises are not good ones! Everyone should live there life to the fullest! Live like today is your last day! Because it may very well be! At the same time we should be careful not to step over the line and regret our decisions! I get so much out of reading a thread like this one it amazes me! Best regards to you and your family Anne, during these troubling times ! Thank you for reminding me to stop and smell the roses! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Anne my heart goes out to you and all of your family.

Just based on reading some of your posts, you seem to be going through some really intensive introspection, and it really is a slippery slope.

Both from a personal and trans perspective, there is a very real concept of peeling back the onion going on with you, and I hope you find some answers from yourself.

You would be well served to find a group. I don't know where you live, but I believe you would be very surprised at how many groups are out there...whether its therapy related, a conference like southern comfort, or social...in philly there is a biweekly night out at a local bar that is friendly and safe....these are all options to go outside...

To be blunt, in reading your posts on the closet , a bit of Shakespeare went through my mind... "The lady doth protest too much, methinks". and regardless of what you decide, regardless of what you do or don't do, i think you are well served to think about it some more...weigh pros and cons, try to really think about why you told the salesperson your story...i was a closet crossdresser once...i recall buying stuff, and almost puking i was so scared...then one day i said it's for me,and i felt the weight come off my shoulders..it was quite incredible

Folks that view coming out as some kind of statement for the cause are way too self important for my taste... just leave all that stuff behind..this is about you, its about what you want, its about how you can feel best about yourself...

Things can change very rapidly. My example...I had never even tried dressing fully (makeup, wig, real forms) until I was 50! Within 6 months of practicing that, my wife and I started going OUT on a regular basis every few months. Within a year I had found a local t-girl social group and started going out dancing to club in Boston twice a month. I started a little electolysis within the next year to improve my makeup application and appearance. This all started 6 years ago. In that time I've been in several fashion shows, testified in front of the legislature on trans rights and have appeared on both radio and tv! 10 years ago none of that was conceivable.

Now granted, we are all different with our motivations and needs. But the exhilaration and addictive nature of interacting with others can not be overstated. It is usually enough for me but even at my level of dressing there are longings for more. I would guess that like me, you have been denying and ignoring this part of you much more than you realize. The comparison to "letting the Genie out of the bottle" is apt. Getting out is easy, going back is not.

Good luck with your exploration and god bless your family.
    Sally

Gold Member
    Anne, I am sorry to hear about your father and sister. Any one is difficult to go through and two makes life quite trying at times.

There is something about coming on-line and talking with others like us. Part of it is the education you get. I have learned things that have enabled my moving forward. Another part is those stories from others, whether they are about going out, getting a make-over, or maybe just taking that next step at home. It tells us what is possible if we want to head in that direction.

When you are doing this thing we do and you have no contact with others, it is certainly conceivable for most that you settle into a comfort zone. It can be like when you go to your favorite restaurant every week and always order the strawberry pie. Then someone else goes there with you years later and they order the Death by Chocolate and you look at it and wonder if it is better. The grass can always look greener.

So I think it is good to try new things if you feel that is what you want. We need to change at some level as life goes on to keep our outlook and excitement fresh. The one thing I would raise to you for a little introspection is, after all you have been through with your father and sister, and then to soon after find this site, is if you are going too fast as you made one comment on. Sometimes something can act as stress relief during the most trying times and during normal times, we may have proceeded more slowly. I know when my dressing took off, there absolutely were a lot of family stressors going on. The one thing I did right was to let my wife set boundaries and control the advancement. It has paid off well. But only you can know if you feel like if you are going too fast or not. This may just be finding the natural progression for yourself.

When you do what we do, it can be easy to fill oneself with doubt about how we feel and what we are doing. My one recommendation is that I always felt that being unsure of oneself tends to hold you back and fill your life with unnecessary stress. Think over what you want and decide how you want to continue and then that it is. You made the best decision for yourself at the time so it is the right decision no matter what the outcomes are.

Balance

Anne, I read a line by a CD once that said, "take control of your crossdressing or it will control you". As I'm sure you've seen on this site, there's a lot of talk about pushing boundaries. Since I'm not a CD, I'm not qualified to give advice but I will give my opinion/perspective and as always cross my fingers that I don't get crucified. I think that if you really love your wife...I mean if it's important to you to keep her in your life, then it's worth the effort to find balance....balance between time spent being male and being female...balance between instant gratification or delaying (e.g. travelling out of city)...balance between your own exploration and having your SO explore with you...balance or perhaps more like integration between your male and female persona. The trade offs are worth it.

On the other hand, if she's not that important to you, go ahead and be all you can be. You might be one of those people that wants to be on your death bed content in the knowledge that you lived your life to the fullest. Or you might be one of those people who wants to be on their death bed content in the knowledge that you have loved and brought happiness to those special people in your life (SO, kids, parents, siblings).

Somewhere in between, I believe there's balance. Now again, this is just my personal opinion and perhaps I say this because I don't know what it's like to have gender issues but I think that we all make some sacrifices for people we love. As a mom, I know I've had to balance my needs with those of my children. As a daughter of ailing parents, I make sacrifices when I spend entire days keeping my parents company but I'd rather being doing things for myself. I take pride in those things just as much as I take pride in decisions that were not all about self sacrifice e.g. leaving my kids to be looked after by someone else while I pursued a career. When I'm on my death bed, all the money I've earned because of my career will still be something I'm proud of but to a far greater extent, I would take more pride in the relationships I've cultivated.

Now you might say that connections with other people mean nothing unless you're authentic within those relationships. And I'd agree for the most part. I'm not convinced that authenticity is all about the physical expression of gender. I think you can be authentic by allowing your inner personality to shine through and forget about what might be labeled feminine or masculine. I believe that if you're able balance your need to express your feminity in the physical sense with maintaining your connection to the people you love, then that is an accomplishment you can be truly proud of on your death bed. But hey, I understand, everyone's goals and values are different.

To my way of thinking, it's best to define what your end goal is and then plan (work your way backwards to define the journey you want to take) to live a life that seeks to achieve that goal. Plans are just plans, and things may get in the way but you know the old saying, if you don't have a destination, any route will take you there.

Speck

"A glass of wine anytime" rachaelsloane's Avatar
    Anne,
    First, in the short time I have known you, you have shown nothing but "courage" during your sister's illness and now your fathers and my thoughts are with you.
    Whether it be joining this forum or going out shopping for yourself, your experiences are no different than mine or others here. There is nothing wrong or bad by expanding your closet boundaries, in fact, by your own recent experiences, it helps us grow.
    Always,
    Rachael

I joined this site back in October of '05. Prior to that, I had only very seldom done anything to expand my own crossdressing boundaries. I dressed only from the neck down, and really had no thought of doing more than that. I had made some rudimentary purchases, but nothing real big. I did, however, go out and buy a wig. I was shocked when the lady in the store asked me if I wanted to try it on. I almost didn't. But I did. And it was a shocking revelation to me that there were people out there who not only accepted crossdressers, but actually supported them.

After joining this forum, I gained self-acceptance and some actual courage. I began to purchase all my own things, my clothing, my makeup, my accessories. I then drew up the courage to replace that wig I'd originally purchased by going out en femme and buying one as Marla. It was one of the most special crossdressing experiences of my life.

I find that over time, we become less concerned with what others think of us, and march forth with our heads held high. We are, after all, good people, and we deserve the respect of others. And we're a significant segment of the population, too. And we need stuff, so we may as well buy it. Screw embarrassment. I'm more concerned with my wife's feelings on it than I am my own. So while I'm conscious of her feelings in all I do, I still make all my own purchases no matter what the sales person may think.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne2345
    So is this where I am at now? Am I on a slippery slope?
    [SIZE="2"]Translation: You’ve really DONE it now! The slippery slope is all in your mind, I feel. Are you worried where this is all heading, or where it’s leading you, or what “it” is in the first place? If the slope is indeed slippery, it means that there are no answers to your pointed inquiries – if we had the answers you seek, there would be no need for discussion, after all. As they say here in Kansas, “Where you all AT?” which happens to be a rather profound question that flies over the heads of the locals – I don’t know where you all at, Anne, and I’m not sure where I’m all at, either. Just relax, my dear…[/SIZE]

Of course, given my circumstances, I would not do this in my home city. That would be too risky. So is it ok for me to do such things outside of my city, but within a reasonable travel distance?
    [SIZE="2"]Careful, Anne, you may have to explain yourself to the “I don’t care” crowd – how on Earth could you be so afraid to shop in your own city? Fear*? As far as I’m concerned, you do what you have to do, and you don’t need to explain your actions or decisions to anyone around here…
    [/SIZE]

But why is this so? How can I spend an entire lifetime denying myself such things without a second thought, to all of a sudden, after joining this forum, doing such things becomes an addiction and necessity? Has the forum done this to me, or has the forum but merely assisted in opening my eyes to what has always been there within me, but that which I have failed to acknowledge? I cannot imagine the answer is not the latter, but still . . . .
    [SIZE="2"]Since your eyes have been "opened," I hope they are never closed to the truth again. I actually came to forums like this after years of practicing the “addictive” MtF behavior you are referring to, but online discussion with my peers has been beneficial in the extreme. It seems like your presence here has allowed you to open a hidden door you forgot existed, providing a key to the unknown…[/SIZE]

In this regard, what is your experience herein? Is it similar to mine? Does my experience thus far even make sense? I have no doubt many others preceding me have experienced exactly the same scenarios and emotions, so any words of wisdom would be much appreciated!
    [SIZE="2"]My only words of wisdom would be GO SLOW, and just enjoy these new experiences – you’re on a journey to your own interior, a true adventure that few have the courage to attempt. Your experience thus far certainly makes sense to another crossdresser, which may explain why you’re with us, but your writing is giving us a valuable, detailed account of what you feel to your conterminous cohorts (I mean girlfriends)… [/SIZE]

This is my advice to you. You need to really prioritize what is important to you. Then you should try find someone who you can really trust, who is intelligent, insightful, knowledgeable, calm, that REALLY cares about you, and on a regular basis you reveal everything that you have been doing and how you really feel. It would be preferable if that person was in close physical proximity to you so that they can independently observe you. Then let them tell you what they really think about where you are at and where they feel you might end up as a result. Then you try to make decisions on whether the types of activity you are engaging are compatible with your priorities. I really feel having a set of smart, independent loving eyes can go a long way in helping us get a true picture of ourselves, because our self evaluation will have flaws. That's not to say that someone else's evaluation of us may not be flawed also, but they may be in a better position to point out some things that we may get wrong or miss.

At the end of the day, we make the decisions that shape our future, and while we have free choice we also have to live with the consequences of our actions. So we should try to make the best choices possible.

That's all I can really say to you. Everyone of us is different and what may be one person's food may be another person's poison.

Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Click here to experience the Ionis Supernova!

“Our senses enable us to perceive only a minute portion of the outside world.”

- Nikola Tesla

I found your post quite interesting. On the one hand you proclaim your love of the closet, yet, you are displaying that you are not infact in that closet. You are more open than me that is for certain. I have not shown others outside of my friends, such as SAs of stores, pics of myelf enfme, wilist in male mode. I have shown pics of my cosplay, male androgynous look, but not often.

You are more out of the closet than you think, and to that I offer congrats.

Slippery slope is a good descriptor. Don't be scared, just ride it. But try to control the ride too.

Actually Slippery slope has a negative feel too it, there must be a better one.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythos View Post
    Slippery slope is a good descriptor. Don't be scared, just ride it. But try to control the ride too.

Actually Slippery slope has a negative feel too it, there must be a better one.
    Slippery slope makes a point but it's not the most positive of connotations. How about natural progression? At least when done under complete control with reason and forethought rather than some sort of "pink fog" which at the end of the day is nothing more than an excuse for irrational behavior.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    At least when done under complete control with reason and forethought rather than some sort of "pink fog" which at the end of the day is nothing more than an excuse for irrational behavior.
    I don't know if it can be done with complete control, such an feat is difficult even for the most self disciplined. That said I would agree it can be done with a substantial amount of control IF there is an independent set of eyes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Click here to experience the Ionis Supernova!

“Our senses enable us to perceive only a minute portion of the outside world.”

- Nikola Tesla

Wow Anne - I'm really starting to think that we are sisters!

It was a series of events in my life, some good but a number bad that gave me the drive to finally dress completely. Some deaths of family and friends really hammered home the point that this life is just too damn short. Basically too damned short not to be true to myself.

Facing this has certainly caused me some consternation and there are times that I just wish this could all go away, BUT. . . dressing, reading and posting on the forums, making friends on line and in person has been some of the most liberating experiences of my life. Just plain fun too!

I can really relate to the drive to go full blast out of the gate, regretting all of the time we have “missed.” I agree that failure to control this is a mistake. IMHO, this is a marathon and not a sprint. I want to do all the fun stuff but it is so hard to wait. It reminds me of being a kid again and in a way, I guess I am. I listen to the girls talk about shopping trips, trips to the salon, events like Diva Las Vegas, etc. and want to go – NOW! I have to keep reminding myself that with a wife and children, I have responsibilities and need to balance my fun with my responsibilities. I was at a very nice TG event last night and a number of the girls were going out for drinks afterwards. I SOOOO wanted to join them but had been getting the “don’t be out too late” vibe at home. I went home. Bottom line is that I am getting to be myself and I can ‘t ask for much more than that. I will hit the items on my bucket list, just a little slower than I would like. That’s life.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Anne, first let me say, at some point(s) in our lives, we will ALL be tested! It sounds like yours is happening now! I know u have the strength and character to weather your family's problems! And, I hope it all works out the best for all of u!

Second, when I came out of the closet online here 4 years ago, I breathed the Pink Fog and went CDing nuts! I've now created SOME balance, but am FAR from balancing my CDing with my "vanilla life".

3rd, u r Alice looking down the rabbit hole! There r wonderous folks u could meet, and CD adventures untold outside the closet! But, like toothpaste, once you're out, u can't just click your 4" heels and be back in Kansas! It's NOT just about others finding out, either. It's about U simply not wanting to return to Kansas!

Be careful what u wish for, grasshopper!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!