This is something I read in a story, and I think the authir hit it directly on the head.

What do you think

BTW it is semi long

If I can address the issue of your desire to dress up as a woman, I believe it does fit in a little with some work I did a few years back on social identity.
“When you look at our society, there are really only two conventional roles that a person can fit into; the two primary gender roles. If we compare them, we see that invariably men tend to be competitive and aggressive, and a good deal of interaction between men involves each one showing off the ways he is better than the others. There is also a tendency to conformity because anything too different may be considered a weakness, most commonly punishable by whoever dares to be difference being
pushed down the pecking order.
“With women, the tendency is to be more openly supportive and
communicative. Women have more of a tendency to help each other and support each other. It’s a generalization, so there will be a lot of examples of where this is not the case, but overall it is observable truth.
“The supportive environment is a safer more comfortable place to be, and when issues of self image arise, as they do with both men and women, the guys have to deal with it on their own, whereas the girls will help each other. I believe a lot of gender dysphoria – dissatisfaction with your assigned gender if you will derive from a person feeling better suited to the opposite role, and since women seem to have the more welcoming,
supportive environment, we have more male to female transgender issues than the other way round.
“An individual then having accepted that he wants to be more like the opposite sex then has difficulty in making the transition. For those who are most affected, nothing will do but to undergo complete gender reassignment. For them the desire to fit into the opposite gender is so strong that they have to become a member of the opposite gender completely. There is evidence of hysiological factors in many of these cases too, genetic variations which result in a more female structure to the brain, hormone imbalances at certain crucial times of development, that sort of thing.
“I don’t think that’s true of you, but you strike me as someone
who would prefer a supportive environment rather than one where you’re constantly competing. Am I right?” “I think so. I’ve always hated sports – playing or watching – and I really
don’t get too much of a kick out of being out with other guys.”
“So you’d rather socialize with girls, but the only way you can do so is as a man at which point the dynamic changes. A man who approaches a woman generally only wants one thing, and if the girl isn’t interested in you sexually, her reaction is going to be to turn you away completely rather than respond to you as she would to another girl.”
“So you’re saying my desire to dress up in women’s clothing comes from wanting to be a girl?”
“Well, let me ask you. What is it about women’s clothing that makes you want to wear it?” I thought for a while, “I suppose it’s more to do with the way it looks and feels than anything.”
“It’s pretty? Attractive colors and patterns?” “I suppose so.”
“it gives you the sense that when it comes to attracting a mate, you can take on more of a passive role. Look good and wait for her to come to you rather than keep challenging the other guys so that you can show off your strength.”
“Because guys tend to reject anything that doesn't fit their tight definition of what it means to be a guy. The more radically different you behave, the more vehemently you are rejected. Whereas girls can try new things and be accepted because it’s in their nature to be supportive, and as a result of that we have half a world full of women wearing trousers something that would have been frowned upon fifty years ago. “You don’t really fit in society because there isn’t a place for a guy who wants to look attractive and be passive in today’s world. You try it and
you’ll get your head kicked in, hence your fear about appearing in public dressed as a woman. It would go horribly against a man’s pride to chat up a pretty girl only to find that he’s a guy in drag. At the same time you can’t fit into male society because it is so much against your nature.
“Most women can’t deal with guys who dress as girls either. They don’t generally have the ability to understand what would compel a man to do so, because they don’t have any concept of what it means to live as a guy. Generally they feel threatened or insulted by men trying to move in on their territory.
“Firstly, the main point of wearing attractive clothing is to have people notice and complement you on it. You get to wear clothes that you think are beautiful, but no-body else sees them. It’s a waste, and if anything it goes against what you’re looking for because there you are dressed as prettily as you would care to be and nobody seems to think you look good.
“Secondly, you’re still a guy seemingly wearing a dress in public. It affects your mannerisms, and yes I’ve been observing you since you started telling me your problem. It’s not very noticeable, but you do have some slightly effeminate gestures. I think you’re aware of them and you’re worried about people finding out.
“All people live with two models of the world. One is based on their perception of what is around them, what they see, hear, feel, smell and taste, and the other is based on their expectations; memory and experience tell them that the world should be a certain way.” It’s what the brain was designed to do. It records perceptions of different situations and links them to feelings. Good feelings when a situation ended up positively and resulted in safety, warmth and a full belly, and bad feelings when a situation ended up with an unpleasant outcome. It then compares current perception with situations from the past, and reintroduces the feelings of those past situations. So for
example, the sound you might have heard just before you were chased by a big scary carnivore, were you to hear it again, you would feel something of the same rush of adrenaline that chase gave you. “In humans this has become far more complex though, and our expectations of the world far more subtly defined. We expect our loved ones – parents, brothers and sisters, spouses – to be kind, right up until the moment one of them shows an unexpected streak of cruelty. We expect the world to be safe, right up until the point where someone or something threatens our lives. There is usually at least one time in everyone's life when our expectations are built on some false premise, and we find ourselves with two perceptions at odds with one another.