Thread: Did you ever notice

Did you ever notice

As I'm here looking at sales ads I noice the following. Bras on sales for woman. Why do stores have put in this type of description for clothing items. Unless someone like us is looking at the add they know it is supposedly made for a woman. Common sense right? Is this societies way instilling what one gender should wear and what the other gender should not wear? These type of descriptions on adds just seem to be waste of ink. Do they think everyone is stupid?

Automatic tranny Ashley Allison's Avatar
    Not everyone is stupid; however, there are a lot of people that are just complete idiots. Such people need a binary gender society to avoid confusion and embarrassment. In reality gender is highly variable and in some cases fluid. In our society most people desire and need oversimplification to feel safety and certainty in world where very little is certain.
    “What would we be if we were normal? I can't even picture it.” – Sookie Stackhouse

All too often people nowadays cannot think for themselves without everything being overly spelled out in front of them. Like Ashley said, oversimplification seems to be the norm, and those idiots she spoke of cannot exist without it being that way.

Yeah, I've noticed that for years in print advertising... "women's bra's" or "women's panties" and once even saw "women's dresses"
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]Life is what happens while you're making other plans

Bras for cars! And my car was a male with an attitude! Just like it's owner! Go figure!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

I don't think I would get the same thrill wearing a "men's bra" or "men's panties". I'm glad the ads make it clear that these are the women's styles, not those men's types. Ya know what I mean??

I think it is an advertising ploy. When you put the word "Womens" in front of it, you get "Womens" attention to read the rest of the add. I'm sure some expensive and in depth research has been done to find the most effective way to advertise. It is like calling a persons name or description, once heard they listen or read the rest of the sales pitch.

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Gurl View Post
    I think it is an advertising ploy. When you put the word "Womens" in front of it, you get "Womens" attention to read the rest of the add. I'm sure some expensive and in depth research has been done to find the most effective way to advertise. It is like calling a persons name or description, once heard they listen or read the rest of the sales pitch.
    i think this is probably it, nothing more

There is a lot of truth in Jenny’s reply, the word “women’s” is a catch-word, meant to catch the eye of women scanning the ad, but it goes even farther than that. Scan any of the multi-colored ads from the big name stores and you won’t see just “Women’s dresses”, you’ll also see “Misses”, “Petite’s”, “Junior’s”, and often “Girl’s”. Women’s sizes are complex and the various labels help women pick and choose those items from the ad that might actually have some chance of fitting. It is also a clue as to which department the item will be displayed. Catch-words narrow down the choices and one of the golden rules in sales is to limit the number of choices the customer has; too many choices and the customer can’t make up their mind, the customer has a much better chance of picking from a selection of two, maybe three, choices.

I know that as attractive as an item may look in the ad, it makes no sense for me to get excited if it is labeled “Petite”, “Misses”, or “Junior”, it’s been 50 years since I could wear anything in the Misses Department.

Don’t read too much into advertising, often it is put together hurriedly and the people doing hand-outs and insertions are often the less experienced employees in the department, and they are going by the book, following the basic guidelines, such as using catch-words to attract attention.

I do have to wonder if anyone in the advertising department ever thought about how much attention “Men’s Bras” would garner, might even get national TV coverage on the Jay Leno show if the Proof-reader missed it. However it is a gambit that would only work once.
    Babs

Come and talk with me ;) Briana90802's Avatar
    People are stupid!!! It's like a few years ago when you see a movie trailer on tv. They would say at the end, "only in theaters" because stupid people were going to video stores and asking to rent those movies. You'll notice it's stopped now that video rentals have gone the way of pagers, cd players, and slowing for yellow lights.
    Links must comply with our rules
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Loves ordinary miracles SuzanneBender's Avatar
    Maybe we are looking at this the wrong way! Stick with my silly blonde logic a moment. Maybe they are specifying women because society is becoming progressive and designers are considering men's dresses, men's heels, men's panties and TAAAAA DAHHHHH men's bras. Lord knows I see enough beer bellied guys that could use a bra for their Moobs. Ok I know I am totally of base, but what a wonderful world it would be. Well except that moobs thing we could do without a bra for those.
    See yourself as a soul with a body not a body with a soul" Dr. Wayne Dyer

It is mainly aimed between junior and womens design
    Not to mention sizes lingerie is usually a little more varied
    for womens sizes as compared to juniors
    I know when I am looking for jeans or shorts I look
    In the juniors Dept, better fit I have no hips
    Staying in the closet isn't so bad as long as you know why your in there.

It is simple only woman get the sales price. Men pay full price.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy4ever View Post
    As I'm here looking at sales ads I noice the following. Bras on sales for woman. Why do stores have put in this type of description for clothing items. Unless someone like us is looking at the add they know it is supposedly made for a woman. Common sense right? Is this societies way instilling what one gender should wear and what the other gender should not wear? These type of descriptions on adds just seem to be waste of ink. Do they think everyone is stupid?

Guess you don't watch tv...or sports.
    That's my pet peeve when I watch a football game and they go "that was a great football play"....and I thought I was watching curling!!!

It's not that they think anyone is stupid...they just state the obvious to have something more to say.

C'mon Jersey Girl....give 'em a break.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I've never noticed that. Obviously I'm too busy looking at the photos to read the words!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

"Bras on sales for woman." As opposed to say, bras for girls age 10, maybe. I'm sure someone, somewhere went to a store that advertised something like 10% off all bras, and went to the girl's dept, and found the sale didn't extend there. Which is why they have to spell out every.....single....thing for those idiots.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Quote Originally Posted by KrystalA View Post
    Yeah, I've noticed that for years in print advertising... "women's bra's" or "women's panties" and once even saw "women's dresses"
    I would like to see the "women's bra's" or "women's panties" and "women's dresses" What you dont carry those???

Silver Member
    It is all about sizing. Teen bras ... Women's bras.

Banned Read only
    98.9 % of everything purchased in the world is purchased by women. Saying Women's bras.... or Women's panties..... is simply a marketing ploy. It is aimed directly at those who do the purchasing. Kind of like a moth to a flame.

Gold Member
    Yeah typically "woman's" is for like fat ladies.
    Misses, Juniors, woman's
    They cannot really even call it "Plus sizes" cause then fat women get upset.
    Kind of like the "family" restroom. It is safer than calling it the tranny potty.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Quote Originally Posted by RylieCD View Post
    I would like to see the "women's bra's" or "women's panties" and "women's dresses" What you dont carry those???
    A few years back Jay Leno wrote a book featuring odd advertisements. One page featured a newspaper ad for a department store's "Father's Day Sale." The only item pictured in the ad was a rather industial-strength bra! Leno added the caption "For that special Dad who likes to dress up!

Hmmm, do you suppose that Jay.....
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    Hmmm, do you suppose that Jay.....
    Now that is just a scary thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    I've never noticed that. Obviously I'm too busy looking at the photos to read the words!
    I am entranced by the beauty, not the descriptions.

Rebecca