Thread: the 80's....

the 80's....

I am forced to wonder at this point,,, THe 80's rock bands that I looked up to Poison, Motly Cue, Cinderella, Twisted Sister, and the like, they all had big hair, and more makeup than any woman I've ever known.... It makes me wonder if that has had an influence on the fact that I'm trangenderd to this day? I certainly use my 80's rocker roots rare ocasions when I need a cover story.
    Naww,, Upon further reflection, I know i'ts been scince before I discoverd rock,,, I guess what I'm thinking is, 80's rock gives me reassurence that it's ok to be feminine/

Platinum Member
    probably not, although I suppose the heavy metal hair bands may have provided a little cover for anyone wearing make up and big hair in the 80s.

Gee! I thought it was ok to be feminine in the 60's when Patsy Cline was a big hit! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Platinum Member
    When I think of the 80s performers who may have challenged gender identification, the ones that come to mind are Wham, Boy George and of course MJ. I'm not saying I liked their music, necessarily, but they definately pushed the boundaries a bit.

I used to think it was all so cheesey, but now I find that I miss the 80s.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5150 Girl View Post
    THe 80's rock bands that I looked up to Poison, Motly Crue, Cinderella, Twisted Sister, and the like,
    Umm, yuck? Femm'ed out metal bands were called "posers"
    Ya know, if you looked up to (Christ of Christs) Poison of all bands, there might be deeper issues than why you are TG

I mean POISON?
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Just a girly girl. Sweet Sabrina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Erin View Post
    Umm, yuck? Femm'ed out metal bands were called "posers"
    Ya know, if you looked up to (Christ of Christs) Poison of all bands, there might be deeper issues than why you are TG

I mean POISON?
    Yep POISON! They were awesome. And even Alice Cooper wore make up. And let's not forget about KISS. I grew up on those bands as well and loved at least 90% of their stuff. It's not like were talking about Wham or something. Sheesh

Sabrina. Lost soul from the 80's
    Sabrina

I grew up with the 80's hair band and eyeliner.. Sure influenced me.
    Eyes alight with glowing hair
    all that fancy paints as fair
    she takes her fan and throws it
    in the lion's den..

*Kisses and Best Wishes* Wendy_Marie's Avatar
    In May of 1983 I finished High School and a few weeks later left out on the road as a Lighting and Sound Technician with my friends and a band we had all started in high School....This is the guys all sans make up.....when decked out for the shows we all wore make up more befitting Dee Snyder of Twisted Sister.

Our music by choice included Led Zepplin, Poison, Iron Maiden (Up the Irons), Black Sabbath etc...

By all accounts we were the epitome of the Hair Band decade in the 1980's.
    I took full advantage of the 8-year span time on the road to dress and experiemnt with as androgynous look as I could obtain....Spandex, Parachute pants, fishnet stockings and any number of female clothing items were all as much apart of my daily wardrobe as were 501's, t-shirts and Red Wing boots.

No I am not in this picture...I shot a lot of film and was seldom in the front of the camera...this pic was actually shot in the spring of 1983, just after we won a $5,000 cash prize at a local battle of the bands. money we used to but equipment and make a down payment on a bus that I drove all over the Eastern United States, into Canada and Mexico.
    [SIZE="3"]"I can't talk girl talk when there is a guy inside my head." Gracie Lou Freebush[/SIZE]
    Is this all that's left of my life before me. Straight Jacket Memories and Seditive Highs! No Happy Ending like they always Promised...There's got to be something left for me... And I Turn my Head and Stare into the Eyes of a Stranger.
    To those of you who consider yourselves to be "Cat People" I apologize in advance for I am not.

Let's not forget David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by betty1253 View Post
    here is David Bowie with a well Known Transsexual at the time..

Romy Haag..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    in the lion's den..

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by betty1253 View Post
    True, Bowie was still active in the 80's, but I consider him more of a 70s phenonm.

The 80's hair bands were cool but who can't forget Boy George, I used to secretly admire him.

No. It's all Ronald McDonald's fault.

I never like Boy George. I liked Bowie, but overall, I never cared for the more limp-wristed bands like the Culture Club. (Bowie rocked, the Culture Club .... didn't) The music that influenced me the most were the '70s bands like Led Zeppelin, and the great Blues artists. But Zep wore some rather androgynous outfits, too. A lot of bands did, and most didn't bother trying to look like chicks. Some did....The New York Dolls, The Sweet, Queen... I think that rather than saying that I was influenced towards crossdressing by the bands of the era, the bands of the '70s and '80s helped confirm and validate my propensity to go en femme. So thanks, guys!

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    my influences from the 80s that I would say if i was able to dress fully back then would have been bands such as Bananarama,the Go-Go's and artists like Madonna and Marilyn (boy george's friend))
    images.jpg

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Automatic tranny Ashley Allison's Avatar

Don't forget Pete Burns from Dead or Alive.
    “What would we be if we were normal? I can't even picture it.” – Sookie Stackhouse

I can't say that the hairbands influenced my urge to dress but I can say that most of the hairbands ROCK!

I doubt it, hair bands more had the attitude of "I'm gonna wear makeup and have big hair and still be more manly than you!" Also why isn't Van Halen listed as a band you look up to? You're 5150 Girl and the frankenstrat is your avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla View Post
    I never like Boy George. I liked Bowie, but overall, I never cared for the more limp-wristed bands like the Culture Club. (Bowie rocked, the Culture Club .... didn't) The music that influenced me the most were the '70s bands like Led Zeppelin, and the great Blues artists. But Zep wore some rather androgynous outfits, too. A lot of bands did, and most didn't bother trying to look like chicks. Some did....The New York Dolls, The Sweet, Queen... I think that rather than saying that I was influenced towards crossdressing by the bands of the era, the bands of the '70s and '80s helped confirm and validate my propensity to go en femme. So thanks, guys!
    Robert Plant.. The photo of Peter Grant and Robert was like many taken of the band during their wild times - just “messing about” and “being silly” as Plant likes to say. The photo is not a fake. As far as the photos of the band in drag, these were intentional. They loved to go to the clubs where the drag queens hung out so as not to be bugged by groupies..
    in the lion's den..

Quote Originally Posted by VioletJourney View Post
    I doubt it, hair bands more had the attitude of "I'm gonna wear makeup and have big hair and still be more manly than you!" Also why isn't Van Halen listed as a band you look up to? You're 5150 Girl and the frankenstrat is your avatar!
    Yes, VanHalen is my #1 all time fave band in the world. I didn't list them because I didn't feel they proped up the point I was trying to make very well. Yes, they had the hair, and Dave ran arround in tights alot,,, but outside of that...............
    I should have, however, listed Areosmith... My #2 fave.... Steve Tyler is very open about his femanine nature.

Hmm... actually I heard somewhere that Diamond Dave was a crossdresser himself.

Id think Dave Navarro of Jane Addiction is sexy in fishnets, and eyeliner.. but hes from the 90's -00's..
    in the lion's den..

I was driving down the road one day in 1984. Billy Idol was on the radio singing "White Wedding." I said to myself, "What a bunch of crap! That's it, I can't stand any more." I turned the knob till it landed on a classical station. IIRC, it was a Handel concerto. Now those guys wore curly wigs, high-heeled shoes and frilly blouses and stuff and so do I. How could I not like it? Since then, I've rarely looked back...umm...forward.