Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a role in society for retired males

I am looking foward to being Julie a lot more when I retire no fear of being outed at work ,and more time to go to all the
    TG events like Fantasia Fair and southern comfort ,

I retired a few months ago and now I dress everyday!! And I am still very busy. I do volunteer work, visit historical sites and museums during the week during the day when they are least busiest, and I have all kinds of projects to do around the house, take care of the garden and write a book (almost 100 pages so far!!!)

A role in society? Yes, my "role" is to be me and not to be a burden on society with my choises.

When my wife and I retired we took up recycling in earnest. We became "recycled teeny boppers". With all our new found energy we burst upon the scene in a flurry of activity with friends, neighbors and grandkids that at once made us thankful for retiring lest we not have enough time to do all wwe wish to do. The down side is that those we associate with are as bad about social protocol that my dressing is as cicumvented as if I was still employed. Go figure

Platinum Member
    Hi Adina, My role as a retired male is to be the best Grand-Father a Grand-Daughter could ever have.
    Everything else is secondary yes I mean Everything.

Orchid

I dunno - my own retirement plan is to work until I drop dead of exhaustion. (And the way I'm going, that could be any day now!)

Banned Read only
    Yes, retired men do have a role to play in our society. They piss off everyone before the day starts so nobody has a perfectly good day ruined otherwise.

"Yes, retired men do have a role to play in our society. They piss off everyone before the day starts so nobody has a perfectly good day ruined otherwise."

I can do that! Jorja. In fact, I started this morning as my wife went off to work. Life is good - I have a new purpose.

Thankyou to everyone who replied.

Eluuzion, I read your post with great interest. I think there is a real tendency in society to have goals that are material based, particularly for males. And I agree with you that age is used as an arbitrary "marker" for when we should achieve these society set goals. I also agree that I think we would have happier lives if we cherished experience and relationships more than material posessions. Is that a feminine trait? Possibly.

To everyone else who posted. I have little doubt that all of you should have very happy retirements irrespective of how you are dressed or gender identified!

Thankyou again

Adina

As far as ascending some figurative ladder, I guess I am a total failure. My pattern has been to find a career, do it until I get bored and then find a totally new one and start all over again. I always refer to my life as a careen rather than a career; the careers have average span of about 10 years. The only thing that remained with me was my partner and my music and she died on me a couple of months ago. I retired 2 years ago, a few years earlier than I had planned, but she needed care. Now I'm alone in the house we shared and am recovering slowly from the blow her death brought even though I knew it was coming. I'm trying to get out more, but it seems a lot of my friends are suffering. One lost his daughter a month ago and is raising her 2 children, another has cancer, another had a serious eye operation and is still recovering, another had a traffic accident and is disabled and that's just today. I'm almost scared to go out tomorrow.
    Meanwhile I'm trying to work on the house, had 2 Dr.'s app'ts this week and have jury duty next week. It seems I can't not be busy, even if I don't want to.
    As far as "Society's" roles, I couldn't care less.
    Last edited by donnalee; 08-26-2011 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Nit-picking perfectionist.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

I'm so sorry for your loss, Donnalee.

Reine

Hey. I'm retired from 3 different carrers. Suscessuul at all three and now busier than I ever was. It is all in your state of mind. My time as Alice is often limited due to all the things I am involved with, but retirement has not slowed Alice at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    When I retire I want to be a Walmart Greeter!!
    Nah, that's way too stressful! I'd opt for school zone crossing guard.

Wink "Always have a Goal, Always have a Goal, Always have a goal. Retire and Die."

Quote Originally Posted by Adina View Post
    Is there a role in society for retired males?
    It's real simple, Adina. My grandfather's experience living as a complete vegatable for 20 years "simply because he no longer felt," and in his exact words to me before his stroke, "Needed, wanted or loved?", taught me life's true lesson: "Always have a Goal, Always have a Goal, Always have a goal. Retire and Die."

Simple really, and ain't it a laugh, I'm doing it now learning to CD?

OMG I love it. OMG I love it. OMG I love it. See ya!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    When I retire I want to be a Walmart Greeter!!
    You and I may be on the same wave length. I always use to joke about becoming a Wal-Mart greeter. Now, as a retiree with more than adequate income and no debt obligations, it would be 'un-American' to take away a job from someone who really needs one. So, I go about doing my manly retiree chores and volunteer work which take up a lot of time. I also do my womanly retiree chores, such as cooking, baking, laundry, ironing, washing, vacuuming, etc properly dress like June Cleaver or Harriet Nelson.

For those guys content to sit on their fat butts after retirement, their demise will come sooner than later. Inactivity leads to an early death. Too many pretty dresses to wear to check out early from life.

I think this is a good question regardless of sex. In other words is their a role for older people in society? I think there is a very important role for older people in society. They are in a perfect position to offer their wisdom because of their advantage in terms of experience. ONE of the main reasons that a person will make a poor decision is because of lack of experience. Hence the saying once burned, twice shy. The problem is that people and society in general, have become so short sighted, that we don't place enough value on the wisdom that is the result of experience, and hence there is a problem in terms of what to do with people as they get older. This leads to issues such as the current debate around Social Security, etc.
    Last edited by SweetIonis; 08-28-2011 at 07:03 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Click here to experience the Ionis Supernova!

“Our senses enable us to perceive only a minute portion of the outside world.”

- Nikola Tesla

Are we exacerbating this problem with technology? Whereas once we would go to our elders (grandparents, parents, village elder, tribal wiseman) for guidance we now jump on the internet, google it, wiki it, blog it, post it on a forum.

My daughter the other day told me that email was too slow, message boards were much quicker to talk to her friends.

Blimey, I remember actually writing a letter to my wife when we were younger! Thats right, on paper, with a pen and posted in the mail!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Adina View Post
    Are we exacerbating this problem with technology? Whereas once we would go to our elders (grandparents, parents, village elder, tribal wiseman) for guidance we now jump on the internet, google it, wiki it, blog it, post it on a forum.

My daughter the other day told me that email was too slow, message boards were much quicker to talk to her friends.

Blimey, I remember actually writing a letter to my wife when we were younger! Thats right, on paper, with a pen and posted in the mail!
    OMG!!! Now you really are showing your age.