Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dangers of Spironolactone?

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    I was looking at the drug info on spiro on RxList when I came across the following bold, highlighted "WARNING":

"Aldactone (spironolactone) has been shown to be a tumorigen in chronic toxicity studies in rats (see PRECAUTIONS). Aldactone (spironolactone) should be used only in those conditions described under INDICATIONS. Unnecessary use of this drug should be avoided."

What's this all about? How significant is it?

Hugs,
    Persephone.

I belive that is why self-medicating is poo-pooed so much. Sure, we may find the dosages but without doctor suporvision you are chanceing too much.

I have to agree with many of the ladies that it's a risk we have to take if we want to transition. Everything has risks. If you never want to risk anything a bubble is in your future.
    I was told that I was "Way out there In left field", but I don't even know where that is.

Jess

Quote Originally Posted by sandra-leigh View Post
    For example, with Spiro (especially in the doses used for HRT), you might well have breast enlargement. Breast enlargement increases the risk of breast cancer. If you take Spiro and end up with breast cancer as a result, then as far as science is concerned, the Spiro has "caused" the breast cancer.
    Replace the word "science" with "tort attorneys" and you would be correct.

This link will take you to the FDA's info with information regarding the rat study:

http://www.drugs.com/pro/spironolactone.html

Note the dosages given the rats, between 10 and 500 mg/kg/day. A normal human dose is on the order of 0.25mg/kg/day.

Along with the increased risk of developing benign tumors comes a significant risk of _not_ dying from a heart attack, which is the usual reason that the drug is prescribed. Obviously the benefit often outweighs the risk.

It might be nice to talk to the doctor about this, but considering the condescending attitude that some doctors have toward their patients sometimes it is better to get the information unedited.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]