Thread: Travails of my trip to Therapist en femme

Travails of my trip to Therapist en femme

Well first off is the decision of what to wear. I first thought I’d wear a dress but then it occurred to me that I couldn’t remember seeing a woman at the medical center wearing a dress. I had a new pair of straight leg jeans and a new silky, sleeveless, print blouse that made a nice combination and my most comfortable shoes, a pair of blue, denim like, wedges would go with the jeans.

Of course all the handicap parking near the medical center was taken so I had to park in the main lot. As I headed for the entrance it became apparent that several other patients and I would arrive at about the same time, regardless of whether I sped up or slowed down – 10 am is apparently a busy hour. The lobby has been relatively empty on previous visits but not today, today there were people sitting on the benches that lined the entrance way. Inside there is a pharmacy to the right and a clinic to the left. The pharmacy had a line that extended out into the lobby and the clinic was a virtual standing room only crowd. Both the pharmacy and the clinic are separated from lobby by glass walls. I was experiencing more exposure and looks than I had anticipated.

I was relieved to find that I was the only one waiting for the elevator, or so I thought. As the door was closing a hand shot in at the last minute causing the door to reverse direction and open. A man and young boy, father and son, got on, followed by a woman. Maybe I am a beautiful woman because the boy couldn’t take his eyes off me, then again maybe there was another reason. The woman got off on the second floor and the stop afforded the boy more time to stare at me as he and his father rode up to the third floor with me. I had worried about checking in but as I set my purse on the counter and fished out my wallet and handed the receptionist my medical card she smiled and asked how my day was going. Once the check-in procedure was done she asked if I knew which waiting area I needed to go and I said I did.

The waiting area was empty and even more important at the time there was a restroom for use by either gender. Coming out of the restroom I discovered the father and son duo sitting there and the son took up where he had left off with his apt attention of my feminine beauty. There were others in the waiting area now as well, two mothers, one with a daughter and one with a son, an attractive young lady. Now if I had been the attractive young lady I’d have been a bit miffed that I wasn’t getting the attention that this older woman was getting – as attractive as she may be. I was a bit uncomfortable sitting about four or five feet away but right in front of the young boy so I moved down the row of seats a bit on the pretense of getting a magazine to look at. This attracted the attention of one of the mothers and a rather un-approving glare – she obviously found her own dowdy appearance paled in comparison to mine.

Well after about ten minutes, of glancing through a magazine that held absolutely no interest for me, the door opened and I heard “Barbra, you can come in now.” When I entered my Kelly, my Therapist, asked if hearing my feminine name surprised me because it seemed like it took a moment before I realized that I was Barbra and I had to admit that yes it caught me off guard. I thanked her though for using my feminine name in front of the other patients.

We talked about my choice of clothes and I told her that originally I was going to wear a dress but decided on the jeans and top in hopes that I might blend in better. She agreed that it was probably a better choice but then added that for my next session she wanted to see me in a dress or skirt. I spent a really enjoyable 55 minutes with Kelly and was surprised at just how comfortable I felt as Barbra with her. We also talked about my going on some sort of HRT, but that is a story for another time.

After the session I drove home and spent the rest of the day as Barbra and nearly twelve hours in heels of one sort or another, which my feet let me know about the next day.
    Babs

Aspiring Member Longing2be-Trisha's Avatar
    Congratulations Barbra! What a great day you had! WOW!

Hugs
    Trisha

Hi Trisha

Thanks for commenting. I did have a great day, both scary at times but also exhilarating, and while I did feel WOW at the end of the day I also felt quite a bit of sorrow that the day was coming to an end – I was just a 10 minute shower away from being my old drab self.
    Babs

Platinum Member
    Isn't it funny how we react...apprehension followed by exhilleration. So glad that you have a supportive and encouraging Therapist. She sounds like a wonderful person.

Banned Read only
    Congratulations Barbra! It can be nerve wracking for us out in public at times especially with young kids about. At least he wasn't a talker and asked Dad, is that a man or a woman? I do hope you winked at him.

Great story Barbra. I have my first appointment with a Therapist on Monday, have been thinking that at some point she may want me to do as you did and come as Pam. I'm happy that it went well for you and gives some much needed inspriation to the rest of us.
    Pam

"I am a stronger woman than I ever was a man." Living full time since Oct 14th 2012.

Hi Pam

I guess this was my fifth session and at the previous session I had mentioned that a friend in my support group (also a forum member) was also seeing a Therapist at Kaiser (but at a different facility) and she always went to her sessions dressed en femme, was that an option me at some later date? Kelly, my Therapist, said that yes it was an option but why wait till later, she would like to meet Barbra and Barbra was to come for our next session. The dye was cast.

I do wish there had been less children and my next two sessions also fall on a Monday morning and I’m wondering if Monday mornings are heavily booked with children. Maybe that’s part of Kelly’s plan, she is always pushing for me to dress more and venture out more so maybe this is her way of forcing the issue.
    Babs

congratulations, that is awesome.

Glad you had a great experience overall.
    I'm still trying to find a therapist here in Phoenix. Once I find one, I'll be looking forward to doing the same.

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    After the first time it gets much easier. Be sure to pick out a really nice outfit for your next meeting.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Thanks for sharing!

A very encouraging story for people nervous about meeting the therapist.

I had a similar experience. My first visit was in drab. My second I wore a dress and glammed it up. Small waiting rooms are always "fun" when others are there. It is a thrill when the therapist calls you back by your fem name. All my visits there after were in fem and I looked forward to all of them.
    I believe I was a lesbian in a previous lifetime.

Babs, you are braver than me, I used to belong to Kaiser, I don't know about Lemon Grove, but in San Jose the place was always packed, no matter where you wanted to go there. Nice that you have found a therapist that sounds like you enjoy working with, and will push you to expand you comfort zone.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Lodge View Post
    A very encouraging story for people nervous about meeting the therapist.
    Yes and no. Yes because it went so well. No because the scenario is really intimidating for me. I've been considering seeing a therapist and have reached out to a few already. I'm introverted as it is and the notion of an en-femme session, never mind the public aspects, gives me heart failure. It seems to be common in therapy, though.

Lea

Quote Originally Posted by Tina B. View Post
    Babs, you are braver than me, I used to belong to Kaiser, I don't know about Lemon Grove, but in San Jose the place was always packed, no matter where you wanted to go there. Nice that you have found a therapist that sounds like you enjoy working with, and will push you to expand you comfort zone.
    Tina B.
    Hi Tina

I was beginning to think that I might be late for my appointment as the parking lot was full and every time a car left I seemed to be on the wrong row. I think all Kaiser facilities are packed during office hours. I don't why, seeing that I can walk into a crowded medical center but I still haven't gotten up nerve to go to the mall. Went to Penney's but that was on Halloween and we parked on the second level of the parking structure and walked directly into Penney's thus avoiding the mall completely.
    Babs

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbra P View Post
    ... she is always pushing for me to dress more and venture out more so maybe this is her way of forcing the issue.
    For what purpose, exactly?

Lea

Quote Originally Posted by Lea Paine View Post
    Yes and no. Yes because it went so well. No because the scenario is really intimidating for me. I've been considering seeing a therapist and have reached out to a few already. I'm introverted as it is and the notion of an en-femme session, never mind the public aspects, gives me heart failure. It seems to be common in therapy, though.

Lea
    Hi Lea

I can't imagine a good Therapist putting you in a position that would cause you any discomfort, although you do need to be open, truthful, and above board with your Therapist. I suppose talking openly with a stranger might cause some discomfort at first - I had no such problem and walked into my first session and spilled the beans. I had even typed out a two page synopsis of my cross dressing from early childhood when I prayed at night that I'd be a girl when I woke up, right up to the present.

The Therapist's job is to get you to accept yourself and to be comfortable with yourself, not put you in a situation that causes you discomfort. and anguish. Kelly knows that I have been going to my support group meetings en femme and that I had been shopping a couple of times at an out of the way Avenue store en femme, and I had told her what a wonderful time I had at Penney's, and even used the ladies room. Plus, I had asked her if attending a session en femme was an option. Kelly knows from our talks during previous sessions that I don't want to be cooped up in the closet, that I have "come out" to most of my neighbors and having me come to a session en femme was just a way to push the envelope a bit. She let me bring up coming en femme during the session, it was not her suggestion that came out of the blue.
    Babs

Quote Originally Posted by Barbra P View Post
    I had even typed out a two page synopsis of my cross dressing from early childhood when I prayed at night that I'd be a girl when I woke up, right up to the present.
    How did that go over? Did you use it for talking points or did the therapist read it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lea Paine View Post
    For what purpose, exactly?

Lea
    To accept myself for what I am - transgendered. I want to go public, go out en femme and experience the world as a woman would experience it, I just never had the courage to go out before. Kelly has encouraged me to develop some friends that are also TG and to go out with them, go shopping, go to lunch, go to a lounge and have a cocktail, venture out with the "girls" and enjoy life as a woman. I know a few girls from my support group, who are also members of this forum, who go out more en femme than they do drab - I don't know if I'll ever get to that point and I know my Wife isn't comfortable with my going out, but I would like to feel comfortable going out en femme when I choose to do so.
    Babs

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Lodge View Post
    How did that go over? Did you use it for talking points or did the therapist read it?
    Hi Veronica

She took a few minutes and read the entire thing. She also had notes from the two hour session I had with a Councilor attached to my Physician's module and I had been very open with the Councilor as well. In fact toward the end of the two hours she remarked that she couldn't remember ever having a male be so open and for much of the session it felt like she was talking with a woman rather than a man and it was a little bit disconcerting to look up from her notes and see that she was actually talking like this with a man.
    Babs

Babs,
    All of us at Neutral Corner group are so proud of you girl. I will see you Saturday night!

Best Wishes
    your friend Robin Lee

Hi Robin

I think you exaggerate a bit because I doubt but all that a few belong to the forum, but thank you for the encouraging words.
    Babs

Could be that young boy was there with his dad because he was caught wearing his moms clothes and dad is trying to "fix" him cause he is broken somehow. He was just secretly wishing he could be dressed like that. When I was young I always stared at women in nice clothes wishing I could wear them.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzy Satin View Post
    Could be that young boy was there with his dad because he was caught wearing his moms clothes and dad is trying to "fix" him cause he is broken somehow. He was just secretly wishing he could be dressed like that. When I was young I always stared at women in nice clothes wishing I could wear them.
    That is of course a possibility but I suspect that most of the kids are there because the parents think they are hyper-active (ADHD), or their teachers think they are. Well they are not going to find a quick fix because I was told by both the Councilor I saw and my Therapist that there is no know "cure' for cross dressing and the prescribed treatment is to get the patient to accept the fact that they are transgendered. My Therapist told during the first session that her goal was to get me to feel comfortable when presenting as a woman, to accept my feminine side, and to enjoy being a woman when I feel the need. Another task for her is to determine if I'm just a cross dresser or if I'm actually transsexual - not something I'm in a position to act upon if that is her finding.
    Babs

What a day! Next time, in a dress or skirt, will be another challenging experience! My veterans therapist, a woman, knows about me dressing,, and i told her at the first session. But, I don't think i want to show up, dressed up, with so many crusty old veterans and testosterone around that building!