Thread: nutritionist

nutritionist

is it true that what you say to a nutritionist is confidential? if it helps I'm in Alberta, Canada

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Of course I am in the U.S.A., but I would think the same rules apply. A Nutritionist is not really a medical person so the same rules don't apply! However, the Nutritionist you see may have their own ideas about confidential talks. You would have to ask that person to get the correct response!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Hi Steph. My understanding is that nutritionists in Canada are bound to confidentiality by the Personal Health Information Protection Act, with a very few exceptions for mandatory reporting if the person represents a danger to self or others, or in some way violates the law. I'm from the US, so my knowledge of Canadian regulations is limited. I've worked with a number of dieticians and nutritionists here in the States, and each of the several types of certifications and licenses are consistently bound by our medical privacy laws, including HIPAA rules. I believe both HIPAA in the US and PHIPA in Canada have exclusions for legally-compelled testimony, so your records may appear if called for in a court proceeding. Good luck,

~Rachel