Thread: Made, and then not made...??

The FW side of DFW, TX, but New Orleans is my adopted home town

Made, and then not made...??

So...about a week-and-a-half ago I went to Wal Mart alone and en femme...in the middle of the afternoon (and the week before school began). It was a very busy time. It was also about 107 outside & by the time I got there, I was perspiring terribly. As I turned down the aisle trying to find marshmallows, a young boy (about 7-8 yo) slowly walked past (alone, BTW). Then he stopped, looked at me over his shoulder, and I heard, "uh-huh."

I also got read as I got back to the truck by a couple parked across the aisle from me. The guy was chuckling, but the girl could not stop checking me out. Like every couple steps, she would stop, turn around, look, and become further perplexed.

About three days later, my SO & I were on our morning walk. As we turned a corner, an older guy comes out to get his paper in nothing but boxer shorts (see: Frank Barrone). He looks right at us and I hear, "Morning girls!"

Wooooooohoooooooo!
    Torrey

"Never laugh, and you will live to regret it.
    That's what living is to me..." - Jimmy Buffett

https://www.facebook.com/torrey.stephens

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I've been read more times than a magazine in the dentist office. After a while it doesn't matter because it's my life and not theirs.

Only 107? Must be a cool front in Fort Worth, come down to Killeen to enjoy some real heat.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Platinum Member
    I was at the outlet mall in NW Houston last week (in the same infernal heat) and I got read repeatedly. The guys usually steered clear and the vast majority of women made eye contact and smiled very friendly smiles. I suppose maybe guys find us (or maybe its just me) amusing or somewhat threatening - although Im not sure how. But most of the women I encounter are genuinely friendly...which is something I really hadn't expected.

107 and no a/c in the '88 Jeep Grand Waggoneer. At least the faster I drive, the cooler it gets.

I wasn't bothered by the read mainly because the expression on the kid's face was priceless. The "un-made" was just a classic moment.
    Torrey

My first time out my wife and I were in an elevator (large one) with another couple (not friends). I ignored them and later my wife asked if I had seem them checking me out. I told her no...it would have made me even more nervous and I may have freaked. Now I just don't care. Let them look, I look right back.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Since I now go out dressed completely enfemme, but with no wig and no makeup, I get read every time I am out!! Some times the men scowl at me and sometimes not. The women almost always smile at me, and sometimes stop to talk to me! Do I mind getting read? Not in the slightest!! As long as I am decently clad, the way I dress is my business!! Not anyone elses, except for maybe my family!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Temporarily 600 miles north of my San Diego
    Reading about your sweat inspires my sympathy. I sweat worse than a whoar in church. And It doesn't take much. I can pour down sweat in just a t-shirt and a short skirt in 75 degree weather (imagine how bad it must be with a wig, forms, corset, full makeup, ect). I've found a somewhat effective solution for it. I use the semi-solid click anti-persperiants (Old Spice has an awesome line of it). I just take a dab of that on my finger and rub it in over my forehead, temples, neck, pits, and as far down my back as I can manage. It isn't a miracle cure, by any means, but it does reduce the problem, significantly.
    Last edited by Miss Maxine; 08-29-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: I can't post wh*re? It's in Webster's!
    I don't try to look like a woman that fits in. I try to look like a woman that stands out.

http://www.facebook.com/maxinesnotdead

I'm reading all of these posts and wishing that I was as brave as all of you!

The funny thing is that I am the king, excuse me, QUEEN of awkward and uncomfortable situations, but for whatever reason I'm having a hard time crossing this bridge. I went out in public once and to say the least; was not thrilled with the social interaction part.

I love reading stories like that though. Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by Anna Bee; 08-29-2011 at 09:02 PM.
    typos? Errors? Sent from my phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Bee View Post
    I'm reading all of these posts and wishing that I was as brave as all of you!

The funny thing is that I am the king, excuse me, QUEEN of awkward and uncomfortable situations, but for whatever reason I'm having a hard time crossing this bridge. I went out in public once and to say the least; was not thrilled with the social interaction part.

I love reading stories like that though. Thanks for sharing!
    It just takes some confidence! Be confident in yourself and go out with the understanding that you're doing what makes you happy! That's what matters the most! People can think what they want and say what they want. We need to be the mature women who will strut on by with our glamorous selves, not letting the ignorance of others bring us down! ^_^
    I don't try to look like a woman that fits in. I try to look like a woman that stands out.

What i have found that in most cases (not counting the redneck every once in a while) if you stand tall look them in the eye and smile most people will not say anything. If you act like you are trying to hide and don't look up and the like you are more likely to be called out by someone. If you show cofidence in yourself and that you are out there i don't care who sees you there is no reason for someone to call you out. You are showing up as who you are and you are proud of it, what good would it do them to call you out as a crossdresser. If you act like you belong they know you will not be upset by them that be the case what do they have to gain by it.

If you act like you belong they know you will not be upset by them that be the case what do they have to gain by it.
    Starr,

Such an important point. Mean people are generally bullies looking for an easy victim...even emotionally.

Hugs,
    Torrey
    Torrey

Quote Originally Posted by Starr View Post
    What i have found that in most cases (not counting the redneck every once in a while) if you stand tall look them in the eye and smile most people will not say anything. If you act like you are trying to hide and don't look up and the like you are more likely to be called out by someone. If you show cofidence in yourself and that you are out there i don't care who sees you there is no reason for someone to call you out. You are showing up as who you are and you are proud of it, what good would it do them to call you out as a crossdresser. If you act like you belong they know you will not be upset by them that be the case what do they have to gain by it.

Well excuse me! I agree with what you said! But give me a break! I happen to be a redneck! We aintn't that bad! The most carein' folks THIS OLE COUNTRY GIRL KNOWS ARE R-E-D-N-E-C-K-S! Stick that 'n yo' pipe an' smoke it! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Aspiring Member
    This reminds me. I think it is possible to be read even if you are neither dressed nor under-dressed just by your demeanor. First I went to the DMV in male mode. I wore my hair in a ponytail for the first time. The people there were staring at me for some reason like they read me.
    Then when I was on the Greyhound to Texas and some of the female passengers and a couple of kids stared at me like they read me. It must have been my mannerisms and walk style which come naturally to me, or something. I've tried to change those for over 20 years and I finally decided, last year, to just accept them. After all, the people who might be judging were never my friends and were never there for me, so why the heck should I care what they think?

Now I am in Texas and it is as hot as Southern California. Especially during the afternoon.

Ironically I wear my fem undergarments more often now, even in public or when visiting people. No one has said anything. My niece did tell her boyfriend a couple weeks ago that I was wearing a bra, when we were going to a restaurant. I haven't heard anything since and I still wear the ponytail in a fem manner. I do get stares but I noticed I get those regardless of whether I'm underdressed, in femme, in drab, and even when my hair is down.

It's probably just my commanding presence.
    Last edited by vetobob9; 08-29-2011 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vetobob9 View Post
    Now I am in Texas and it is as hot as Southern California. Especially during the afternoon.
    Um...what part of Southern California is that? I'm from San Diego and I go down there to escape the heat of everywhere else in the country!

Some of the older men are funny... This reminds me of an outting I once had in the thrift store while I was trying on a jacket next to two other younger girl shoppers. They were checking their reflections in the mirror and I decided to do the same, thinking it might be unusual to bring a jacket to the change room... so this old guy (someones great gandpa, probably), you know the type, pants pulled up too high, little wedge type cap on his head, summer jacket... he walks by us and says something to the tune of 'this is where the cute women are' and he smiled back at me without a clue... I think there is an advantage to getting old and loosing your eyesight... allows you to see what you -want- to see and works for us CDers too!
    Chickie

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Maxine View Post
    Um...what part of Southern California is that? I'm from San Diego and I go down there to escape the heat of everywhere else in the country!
    Originally the Whittier, Pico Rivera, Santa Fe Springs area. In the last year I was in San Bernadino in the Highland area. Now I'm near Austin staying at my sister's for a while.
    It did not always used to be as warm as it is now. I remember as a child growing up in the area that the weather was cooler way back when.
    I also remember the white seniors who worked at the malls and shopping centers were accepting of crossdressers. But with the flood of people from East Los Angeles, the new younger people that now work at those same stores are not tolerant toward crossdressers, the transgendered, or transsexuals. In another thread I mentioned my experience at the TJ Maxx. Prior to that when I went there and it was women and older people they were very courteous and helpful. Now its younger males with a polarized image of men are supposed to be and they are very intolerant and its shows in how they treat their CD, TG, and TS customers.
    The one thing that disappointed me about my hometown. It went from being open and accepting to being a biased, bigoted, and racist community due to the negative elements that moved in from elsewhere.

he walks by us and says something to the tune of 'this is where the cute women are' and he smiled back at me without a clue
    Just maybe they are the only ones getting it right!

And for Maxine & vetobob...I will just quote The Great Articulator:

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco..."

--Mark Twain
    Torrey