Thread: 10,000 hours

10,000 hours

I hope this is the right forum for this. I've been lent a book on sports performance and how champions are made/trained. The consensus is that it takes ten thousand hours of dedicated practice to produce a champion. And that's not just practising the sport but supplementary exercises, technique's, theory and such...can you see where this is leading

How many hour's do you think it would take to "pass" (if that's what you're aiming for)? Should we be dedicating ourself's to perfecting the "walk", "talk", "make up skills"?

Or is it enough to enjoy the dressing and the experience?

For my part I don't have 10 thou hours (approx 3 hour's a day for 10 years) to do that but in another time & place...
    "Slipping into stockings, stepping into shoes"
    The shortness of life prevents us from entertaining far-off hopes. From Horace’s Odes, Book 1,4

I understand the 10,000 hour concept. But that, I think, applies to perfecting one's abilities in a sport. Now for passing/blending as a woman, that is different. Some people may never pass based on their own physical characteristics, even if they had multiple surgeries and spent 20,000 hours. That being said and using the non-literal meaning of passing, the ability to go out into the real world, shopping, walking, attending plays and performances, walking into a store and interfacing with others does not totally depend on true passing as a member of the opposite gender. This is where I go into the concept that one needs sufficient confidence, attitude, openness, honesty and freedom to be out there. For myself, I want to pass physically as best possible. However, realizing that I will not reach that holy grail, I accept my current abilities and move on to one of the main reasons I do all this, personal enjoyment. Mine consists of meeting and talking with new people, total strangers, being out there going basically where I want, when I want. If I didn't have the enjoyment, I probably would not be doing as much of this that I am. Now, going back to the 10,000 hours, I do believe that the more we practice with body, mind, mannerisms and whatever else helps us reach our goals, the better chance we have of meeting those goals. But instead of searching for perfection, I try to reach that point where time and effort are balanced with my attaining my goals, including the most important one of enjoying what I am doing.

hiya S,

With the understanding that comparing "athletic performance scales" with "crossdressing expertise" is following a path of logical fallacy (since there is no “license requirement” or documented evidence to support any link between the two that could produce any type of "conversion" calculator)......

"10,000 hours" equates to approx 4.8 years if you use employment calculation logic.
    (260 working days/year, 8hr/day, 40/hr week, 173.3hr/mo, 2080hrs/year). Making/changing "habits" and actions an "automatic" response takes longer than the 21 day logic of Maxwell Maltz claims. (Recent research suggests it is more like ~66days).

I will assume that you are simply attempting to make a "generalized" point with the 10,000 hour reference, intending to solicit some "WAGuesses" from us as to how long we think it would take an "average" person to perfect "passing" (another vague term based upon personal perceptions)?

Well, taking the above into consideration when making this statement...

Based upon my knowledge, background, research, and personal experience, I can confidently say that... I have absolutely no idea how long it would take.

My guess is roughly around 1000 hours...give or take a few thousand hours...

Hey, I gave it a shot...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]