On a business trip last week. Stopped by JCP on the way to the airport and picked up a black knee length skirt. Professional looking with a double belt closure in the front and a nice wide metal zipper in the back. Tried it on - fit beautifully.

Fast forward to the next leg of my trip (not home but to another destination). That morning, leaving the hotel, I decided to wear flats, the skirt, a regular mans dress shirt and a sport coat. On top - dressed as a man, from the waist down, dressed in a skirt and flats (with an understated bow on the toe). No makeup. No attempt to walk like a woman or pretend that I was anything other than a man wearing a skirt.

Mind set: I am conducting a social experiment to find out how people react to this - using myself as the means of delivering the experiment.

Moment of truth - I left the key to the hotel room on the desk - once the door closed behind me, no return. I called for the cab to pick me up in 30 minutes. Click. The door is closed, bags in hand, head downstairs to have breakfast. No one in the elevator.

Probably about 5 people (men) in the restaurant. I am sure I was noticed, but no one gave the impression that I was unusual. Took off my coat (reveals the zipper in the back of the skirt, so this is obviously a woman's skirt and not a kilt) and headed to the buffet. Interestingly, the waitress that I had become quite chatty with throughout the week wasn't very talkative an this morning.

I chose a booth to sit so that I wouldn't have to worry so much about keeping my knees together.

Taxi arrived about 20 minutes later (early) and called on my cell phone. I headed outside - past reception - two girls staring at me as I smiled at them. One smiled back, the other with her mouth open in astonishment. (OK, that was unsettling).

Taxi driver opened the door and asked if I wanted my bags in the back. Took them from me and opened the back passenger door for me. I watched his eyes. He glanced down at the skirt and then asked me if I preferred to sit in front. I should have said yes, but I declined because there was a bunch of papers and stuff and I didn't want him to have to move it. (Should have said yes).

The taxi driver and I talked the entire way to the airport. Even during those pauses where you just figure the conversation is going to die, he found something else to talk about. The economy, politics, travel... We talked about a lot of stuff including our wives and children and never once did he inquire or make any reference to the fact that I was wearing a skirt. COOL! Very cool!

30 minute ride to the Jacksonville, FL airport ended with a nice tip for the cab driver and my heart racing. Two carry on bags, so no need to check anything. Just got my boarding pass from the automated thingy and headed to security.

Definite looks from the TSA. This isn't normal. But no one says a thing to me - just professional. Unfortunately, I had to go through the full body scanner. Normally, I avoid those (even if it means the extra pat down), but if I opted out, I figure it would look like I was some sort of perv looking for the extra attention, so I went through.

I got pulled aside - no surprise and had a special check. Interesting, though, the only area that I was patted down was the area covering my panty girdle. (Yes, I really was wearing a panty girdle - that's not an embellishment). Still, the moment where I was standing there without my jacket with my arms outstretched WAITING for the pat down seemed excessive. I know that for the 15 or 20 seconds that I was standing like this, I felt VERY vulnerable.

Security cleared, I headed to the gate. I debated standing in line at Starbucks, but decided to go to the gate and do some work. Sat down, opened the laptop and place the computer bag in front of my shoes - not really wanting to draw so much attention to myself in a situation where I couldn't exit easily.

New problem. I got to the airport early, so after an hour, I had to pee. I was worried about heading to the men’s room but a little more terrified about walking down the aisle on the plane, so I decided to go to the men's room in the terminal. Busy. Once inside the stall, felt pretty safe. Afterward, I headed straight out. Should have washed my hands, but didn't.

Flight was called, so I joined the throngs lining up to board the flight. Usual deal, get your boarding pass checked and then find yourself queued up on the jet way. Interesting, that the person behind me was leaving a large gap (like 3 feet). I was going to turn around and see why, but I choked my curiosity and I am glad I did! The next thing I saw was the flash of a camera and the click sound. Someone took my picture (from behind) with their camera (or camera phone). I didn't dare turn around now and give them an opportunity for a frontal shot with my face, so I just did my best to remain calm and hope that the queue would star moving again.

Now on on the flight headed toward my seat. Still early enough that I didn't have to search for overhead space - great. I took off my jacket and put it in the overhead (love showing that zipper) and in a quick motion stepped to the window seat.

Full flight, about ten minutes later a man about my age sat in the middle seat. I am not a big talker on airplanes, but I do engage in a bit of pre-takeoff chit chat. I decided that this should be no different, so I started up and he was very jovial - even friendly. We talked for the whole flight. At one point - early on - I slipped my shoes off and crossed my legs. Skirt rode up somewhere between mid-thigh and knee, but no mistake that I am wearing a skirt. I made a bit of a deal out of unbuckling my seat belt so I could pull my skirt back into place. Then I re-buckled my seat belt without breaking the conversation.

He never made mention of the skirt, nor did he lead the conversation any where near the topic. Just nice pleasant conversation. Two men having a chat. -- These are the moments I am looking for: awareness that I am cross dressing but no acknowledgment that it is anything unusual.

Landed at my destination city and got the bus to the long-term parking lot -- again, without incident.

So, that's my story. I hope you found it fun and interesting. I would love to hear more about successful (and unsuccessful) public outings from other cross dressers that do not try to pass.