Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaking like a male in female mode

Speaking like a male in female mode

how many of you girls speak like a male in female mode and if so do many people say anything or care or do you realy try to speak like a girl?

Thank for all the help
    Roxann

It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish and who you are talking to. I mostly associated with LGBT folks other than mainstream society, so it didn't matter much.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Aspiring Member
    I am one of those guys that on the phone with someone that doesn't now me, they say yes mam. Even in person, in drab I get a yes mam then a quick switch to yes sir if the person is distracted from looking at me. It use to bother me something terrible to the point I even wanted to talk different. When I tried changing it sounded so fake so my advice is don't worry about it. Who knew it would become an asset.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I have a voice that is definitely male, and never will be female. But since I don't wear makeup or a wig when I go out it doesn't matter how I talk. I am definitely a man in womens clothing!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

I talk the same no mater what clothes I wear. I'd say most people have figured me out by the time I speak.... And I really could care less....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I'm not out, but always use a male voice, if I try to do a female sounding voice, it seems to creep out the wife. funny nothing else I wear or do bothers her, but the change in voice makes her uncomfortable for some reason.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Yes I try to change my voice. I tend to articulate my words more with a slightly softer tone. I do not know if it passes, but so far I have never detected, a stare, smile or any other sign, although to be fair I go out with my partner, and she dose most of the talking, with me chipping in. I have thought about trying a hypnotic tape that I have seen advertised, which claims that the tape will change your voice from male to female, I am still thinking about that.........
    Best wishes,
    Lesley Ann

I would want to try to sound female. I'm not someone who would want to attract attention by looking like a female but being obviously a male. Since, I haven't found myself in the position to speak to someone as a female, I can't say too much except that no matter how well you've trained your voice, if you caugh or clear your thoat you'll give yourself away.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Live it! Love it! BeckyAnderson's Avatar
    I always talk the same in male or female mode and I am a talker. I've reached a level of confidence in who I am so it doesn't matter. I'm not trying to pass myself off as a female.....I'm a crossdresser. For me, there's no need to try to "pass" since there are really very few of us who can look and sound like a female. Besides, the more people who see us as who we are the better off everyone will be. I've never ever had a problem with anyone that I've interacted with in public. It's been my experience that no one really cares.

It really depends on who I'm talking to and where I'm at! For instance if I'm at the doctors office 'dressed' I use male voice because they know I'm male! If I'm shopping it's fem voice all the way!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

I talk in the same manner no matter what mode I'm in, which is female about 97% of the time. I agree with Becky's post above.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyAnderson View Post
    I always talk the same in male or female mode and I am a talker. I've reached a level of confidence in who I am so it doesn't matter. I'm not trying to pass myself off as a female.....I'm a crossdresser. For me, there's no need to try to "pass" since there are really very few of us who can look and sound like a female. Besides, the more people who see us as who we are the better off everyone will be. I've never ever had a problem with anyone that I've interacted with in public. It's been my experience that no one really cares.
    As we can see from the resistance to gays serving in the military and the need for equal protection laws (in the USA), there are a lot of people who "care". I don't think they should and you don't, but they do. And that's just in civilized countries. There are countries in the mid east where you would be stoned to death for dressing as a female.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Live it! Love it! BeckyAnderson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post
    As we can see from the resistance to gays serving in the military and the need for equal protection laws (in the USA), there are a lot of people who "care". I don't think they should and you don't, but they do. And that's just in civilized countries. There are countries in the mid east where you would be stoned to death for dressing as a female.
    That may be but please reread my last sentence......"It's been my experience that no one really cares."

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyAnderson View Post
    I agree with Becky, I don't have a female voice and could never pass for a female, I really am not trying to do so. I am a crossdresser s well and I am seen for what and who I am by all I interact with. I enjoy being a crossdresser and like Becky it is MOSTLY a good experience. I think it is good we are seen for being what we are, it will never change if we all passed as women. Then there would be no such thing as crossdressers and the world would have to find something else to hate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into... the Girly Zone.
    [url]http://www.facebook.com/Staci Grace

Yeah, I sound like a guy while I am dressed. I am not sure how to do a fem voice. My cd friend Brenda, [not a member here], does pretty good talking fem. His guy voice is not much different. Maybe its just a matter of speaking softly.

I usually dress in the extreme so I'm noticed anyway. Then when I speak in my male voice, I get a shocked reaction. I love it!

I try to raise my voice a bit and have been told that it is not that bad. However, I talk a lot and seem to readily forget and start using my lower voice. It takes a lot of practice and then discipline to make it work. I do want a better and higher voice. Other than that, I have no problems when out. If they make a face it is because they see me before they hear me. So, if you are asking indirectly, I would say try to raise your voice up a bit, soften it, speak slower (that is really hard for me!), sing along with female singers which helps with intonation, and practice. In the end as others and I have said, it makes no big distance, but it sure does sound a lot better when out.

It really depends who I'm talking to at the time. If I'm trying to "sound feminine" the best I can really do is try to talk softer.
    "Oh f*ckkk!! Chick's a dude!" - from textsfromlastnight

me: I wonder what it'd be like to play golf en femme.

wifey: It's hotter and sweatier.

Formerly Deborah Whitney
    I am a lazy cross-dresser, far too lazy to work on my voice.

However, when I do choose to try to sound femme, I spend ten minutes singing in a .. tenor? .. voice, which is higher than my normal voice; it seems to help me keep the tone light.

Aspiring Member
    I recall some lessons from TG speech therapy. I have an advantage, being a singer with a strong high range. Raising pitch is doable but takes a lot of practice to avoid sounding like you're singing. The tips were, as others have noted, speaking more softly (but hard to do in noisy environments), avoiding assertive statements with dismissive body language (GGs tend to be less assertive than males), and ending some sentences with a questioning inflection. Find an actress whose relatively lower voice you admire and parrot back her lines in a movie; great practice for different settings.

One funny story. I was in a bar in SF years ago during a TG night out and was talking to an admirer at length. At one point he complimented me on not having a fake-y tranny voice. I smiled and thanked him in my full-on baritone male voice. He nearly fell off his stool laughing. It's not so much whether you can achieve a girly high pitch, but how you say things, body language, and a whole bunch of things you have to learn by observation, trial, and error...

Quote Originally Posted by Roxann View Post
    how many of you girls speak like a male in female mode
    Eww............. No way!

For 11 years I spoke with my male voice when dressed, but it got to the point where I was so concerned with seeming like a normal person when I was dressed, that I ended up just being a guy in a girl costume. The female essence, the part that thrives inside me was always hidden away, and it was the voice that kept "her" underfoot. I then made a decision to never use my guy voice when dressed again, which led to one of the most embarrassing nights out for me ever, where I literally could not get myself to speak. Embarrassment stifled the female voice I'd been practising, because I was afraid of sounding stupid. A lot of practice later, and making some recordings and videos, really helped to give me the confidence to use it the next time I went out.

The voice has a certain power (certainly for me), and one that I didn't truly realise until i started using it regularly when out. It's not "just the clothes" for me, but it was impossible to "be girly" when out, when I was using my male voice. I just felt ridiculous. Now it all flows naturally.

P.S. My female voice still has a very long way to go, but at least I feel like I'm "me" when i go out now, and not some crazy split-personality.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    When Tina first arrived, my wife noticed immediately that my voice was softer. For the first couple of years there was too much else to learn to worry about a voice but the softer voice continued to get a bit softer. Three years ago I was looking at the mirror as I was transforming an had to speak to my wife while looking in the mirror, and I was a bit shocked at the incongruity of voice and image. This voice was "him" and with all the work that had gone into separating my gendered selves, I was really devastated.

At that point I started looking into all that surrounds voice. I started reading about the differences in the use of language between genders (it's not universal, of course, but then again we are all about putting forth voice "signals" that are feminine). I also search YouTube for voice videos and there are an immense number. I took the idea of minimizing the use of the bass resonance of my voice and since I have a 20-minute drive to work, it was easy to practice. What I found was that making sounds and words with the bass resonance removed was pretty easy. The reality, however, is that without this resonance there is a need to do other things with the voice to get inflections. Just listen to women talk and you'll see what I mean! We do speak differently in a number of ways, and a lot of it is driven by the types of sounds our vocal cords make, and not just about pitch. It really comes down to using the feminine voice enough to become comfortable with how to use the feminine voice you create!

So, the short answer it that Tina is becoming ever more comfortable with a sound and usage of voice that matches her appearance and personality!

Lastly, the first time she trotted out her new voice she was very shy about it. Somehow her voice was a very emotional addition to her feminine arsenal. She's not quite over it yet, and she doesn't understand it fully. Very emotional.

Tina

So what happens if you perfect a female voice and then accidentally use it in male mode? Say you're giving a business presentation to the board of directors or prospective clients?

I do try to talk more softly and use more of the front of my mouth rather than the back of the throat (if that makes any sense). However, when I sing, particularly in the choir, I have less control...in those cases, I try to push to a higher register without going falsetto.