Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Choose a Female Name if you only dress in Woman's Clothes

I am in the "Hell No" camp and don't have a female name because I don't feel right calling myself by one. I also don't refer to myself as "she" or "a girl" in my posts because I am not either and I relate very strongly to my male self. I guess that places me squarely on the JV squad around here but I'm fine with that. We in this forum have a broad spectrum of desires and interests as it pertains to expressing our femininity. That's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetta View Post
    The only law is the law of life. God run no wire fence
    umm, i'm not sure?!?

What's wrong with choosing to use a pseudonym on a board? I sure wouldn't post on here under a masculine name, even though i was born that way... It's part of the fun of participating on boards, using an alter ego.

<3

To answer the OPs question about having a female name on here it wasn't by choice .. I came back to this site and for reasons I choose to not share I had to create another name. Others ( few ) know me by my original name .. This name I have now came from combining my dogs names ..
    I do not!! Claim to be an expert on any topic, when I post a new thread or reply on any thread my imput is strickly that of a crossdresser. Not to offend Gay people , Transexuals or any other life style, I am only commenting on one of my own.

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    i'm going with Scarlet Rose's answer

to scarlet rose:

I personally have never thought of crossdressing as pretending. No more than humming an aria from La boheme would make me an opera star.
    Now if I thought myself Rodolfo....now that would be pretending.lol.

dana is my real name...

I picked a female name because that's what people do here. Like most of my life, I'm just trying to fit in, to be accepted. Sure, it's all based on insecurity; but that's not going to change any time soon. So, when in Rome........
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

1st, this whole question teeders on the Deffinition of " Crossdress "

Is it:
    a) to dress in clothing typically worn by members of the opposite sex.

or is it;
    b) To wear clothes normally associated with the opposite gender

Now, I tend to lean towards "B", and because of that, I really don't consider myself a crossdresser, I wear a mix of masculine and femminine clothing at the same time, and, I have always said, my Gender Identity is not Male, neither is it Female, I am equally both, and that is how I dress.

Now to your question of the name, my Feminine name " Marsha " is just a shortened version of my Masculine name " Marshall "

Now here is where it REALY gets interesting, I am called " Marsha " more in my ALL male mode than I do when I am wearing my 50/50...
    "I am Yin & Yang, North & South, Night & Day, Feminine & Masculine" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64235483@N02/

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Lynn View Post
    When dressed fully, the female name is just as much a part of the package as makeup.
    Thats exactly how I feel.
    Plus when dressed and out with my wife it would be really weird to be called by my male name.

I used to feel the same, until I told my best friend, and showed him me. The first thing he said to me was Violet. I was confused, and he said you look like a violet. Its part of me now, because my best friend has been my friend for the past 14 years. (out of my available 19) lol

To fit in.
    I would prefer to be myself and wear the clothes I find comfortable and appropriate for the situation, but in my real world, that does not work. I can not have a short hair cut, a moustache, wear a dress and use my male name. I can either, not wear some of the clothes I like or I can shave, wear a wig, makeup, a dress and femme style shoes.
    When I found this forum, read many posts and got an idea of what this world was all about and wanted to register and add my 5 cents worth, I decided to follow the trend and choose a femme name.
    I may get boo hoo'd down, but in my real world, you can not be a man wearing a dress, but you can be a man trying to pass as a woman....
    Each to their own I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Lynn View Post
    When dressed fully, the female name is just as much a part of the package as makeup.
    Or half naked with boobs and panties.

We should know by now that crossdressers cannot be stereotyped any more than any other segment of the population. Some of us want to be females, some just want to wear a dress. Most are somewhere in the middle.

Me. I don't want to be a female, I just like to pretend that I am one from time to time. If I'm pretending to be a female, why not have a female name? I mean, have you ever known a female named Bartholomew?

Obviously, I chose my female name myself. Without much thought, I chose the first name my mother would have given me if I had been born female (in those days, it wasn't known until you exited the womb) and a family last name. I actually started using this name long before I joined here.

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    I was given this name s birth. I guess mom knew something.
    Some people are lucky that way. A gender "non-specific" name would make it so much easier if you're in public doing things, using credit cards, etc. And it seems much better ordering a bra as "Dana" than as "Bruce".

Funny thing - My wife asked me to order her some "ahh bras" from ebay. When they arrived, there was a personal note from the seller stating that she hoped I enjoyed wearing them as much as she did. If she only knew.

Actually, I'm wearing one right now.
    Last edited by Sandra; 09-24-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts please use the edit/multiquote function
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Banned Read only
    I had my female name years before joining this site.

I guess I have a split personalty. I have email, ebay, social network, etc all in my female name. Of course to do this I needed a name.

I also think it sort of goes together with the CDing as others have said just like makeup. And why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Jorja View Post
    Most crossdressers chose a female name because it completes the illusion. In our minds we name the things closest to us. A dog, cat,or a car. That is how our file system works.
    this makes sence, anyway do i look like a paul to you ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aspiring Member
    Lots of good answers. Thanks everyone.

Kitty

I am not sure that I understand your question. For many, I think, it is a way of identifying their "fem" persona. If one goes out in public it is better to have a female name.
    Hugs, Carole

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    My social club couldn't keep calling me "Anonymous".

the happy camper
    Quote Originally Posted by Beth Wilde View Post
    Because I hate being called "bob*" in the pubs and clubs when I'm out dressed.....
    Exactly. The OP might as well ask "Why shave your beard, if you just want to wear the clothes?" I'm trying to present as a female, so shaving the beard and using a femme name is part of the experience.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by sterling12 View Post
    They may proclaim; "Hell,NO," but their actual behaviors imply something quite different from their proclamations.
    Someone's catching on

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    this makes sence, anyway do i look like a paul to you ?
    "Paula", perhaps.

Actually, I suppose I could have used a takeoff on my male name. I guess if I ever tell my wife I'll let her name me. She doesn't like the name "Linda". Something about a "Linda" in her past.
    Last edited by linda allen; 09-25-2011 at 07:43 AM.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Like many of us here, I have a strong femine desire and identification. When I'm Gretchen I'm happy.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Did anyone have a "nick" name growing up. I mean this in the good sense. The other name reflected a part of who you were, but not all of what you were at that time. I have a "nick" name and I use it on this site, and it does the same thing that the old "nick" names did when I was a kid.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

the happy camper
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Someone's catching on
    Is it really that hard to understand the difference between play acting a fantasy, and wanting to have your bits cut off? It's all fun and games until they pull out the scalpel, and then it's "Hell NO!" Okay?

*Kisses and Best Wishes* Wendy_Marie's Avatar
    Kitty,
    I think you hit on the fantasy aspect that some have as their primary reason to dress...even to those who don't identify as a Female the name completes the fantasy they have in their heads and gives them satisfaction.

For me, it wasn't a matter of do I or don't I take on a female name? It was a matter of as you say...Progression on to the next step, but then I have known I was female since childhood.
    [SIZE="3"]"I can't talk girl talk when there is a guy inside my head." Gracie Lou Freebush[/SIZE]
    Is this all that's left of my life before me. Straight Jacket Memories and Seditive Highs! No Happy Ending like they always Promised...There's got to be something left for me... And I Turn my Head and Stare into the Eyes of a Stranger.
    To those of you who consider yourselves to be "Cat People" I apologize in advance for I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela2me View Post
    To fit in.
    I would prefer to be myself and wear the clothes I find comfortable and appropriate for the situation, but in my real world, that does not work. I can not have a short hair cut, a moustache, wear a dress and use my male name. I can either, not wear some of the clothes I like or I can shave, wear a wig, makeup, a dress and femme style shoes.
    That's exactly my feeling. Also, when I use my female name, it's easier to "get in the mood". It helps a lot to think of myself as a "she", not a "he".

i didnt change my name at all... just its spelling... s a young kid i went by nicky. and now i go by nikki.....