Thread: dressing for job interview

dressing for job interview

The other night the idea of dressing for job interview came to mind mind, particularly if i were able to get an interview at some place such as Lane Bryant or Dress barn. My questions to everyone here is: has anyone ever done something like this, and if so, what was the result?

Also in cases of places like the mentioned stores, i was also seriously considering going and picking up and filling out the applications en femme....

Anyways, as i said, was just curious as to any one elses experiences doing these kinds of things

*Kisses and Best Wishes* Wendy_Marie's Avatar
    Sky,
    During a recent outing of mine I had a little over an hopur to wait while some repair work was being completed on my vehicle...I don't know what possesed me to do it...but there was a huge banner atop one of the offices in the building next to the garage my car was in that said..."Job Openings, apply today." It was a Telemarketing buisness and I had no interest in a job there as I was already working.

But I walked in fully enfemme and wearing my Cutest Skirt and blouse and as unintentional and spontaneous as it was...what I would say was the perfect outfit for a day out Job hunting and interviewing....I filled out an application "using all my real and legal name, gender etc..." and then sat through an interview with this company.

It was a very good expereince for me as I was educated about the this companies views on the LGBT Community and hiring practices...and I was never made to feel uncomfortable or out of place at all.

granted, all my former experience had nothing to do with what they were looking for but I was assured that my presenting as a female was perfectly acceptable by this company...I most certainly will keep them in mind should I find myself looking for work in the future I will go back and put a more serious effort into obtaining a job with them.
    [SIZE="3"]"I can't talk girl talk when there is a guy inside my head." Gracie Lou Freebush[/SIZE]
    Is this all that's left of my life before me. Straight Jacket Memories and Seditive Highs! No Happy Ending like they always Promised...There's got to be something left for me... And I Turn my Head and Stare into the Eyes of a Stranger.
    To those of you who consider yourselves to be "Cat People" I apologize in advance for I am not.

Silver Member
    Wear a suit.

Every women needs to have at least one good suit for interviews.

As a former jobs counselor, there are only two ways to show up for an interview.

1.) Wear a good, well fitting business suit.

or

2.) Show up ready to work. Which means if you are applying for manual labor, work clothes and bring your lunch.

S

Wow.. I need to think on this one for a while...

What I did want to add, at the most recent job interviews I have had (many years ago), I had stated that I crossdress on my own time, including my current job of 14 years.
    "I am Yin & Yang, North & South, Night & Day, Feminine & Masculine" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64235483@N02/

I'd weigh all the factors like how badly do you need the job and if you plan to dress full time at that job.... If you really need a job and you don't plan on showing up every day enfemme I would not go to the interview dressed. But that's just me...
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Thats a great Idea ....Go on job interviews enfemme to build up your confidance before you actually need a job ...I like your thinking Wendy

Joann

*Kisses and Best Wishes* Wendy_Marie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joann Smith View Post
    Thats a great Idea ....Go on job interviews enfemme to build up your confidance before you actually need a job ...I like your thinking Wendy

Joann
    If I had actually given any thought to it that day...I probably wouldn't have even done it...It was very spontaneous but did give me some confidence.
    [SIZE="3"]"I can't talk girl talk when there is a guy inside my head." Gracie Lou Freebush[/SIZE]
    Is this all that's left of my life before me. Straight Jacket Memories and Seditive Highs! No Happy Ending like they always Promised...There's got to be something left for me... And I Turn my Head and Stare into the Eyes of a Stranger.
    To those of you who consider yourselves to be "Cat People" I apologize in advance for I am not.

You may be able to do it if you are up front about who you are. They don't issue duplicate social security cards fpr TG people and trying to get a fake one will end up in trouble. Some companies are open minded some are not. You have to know what you really want to do and just how important working en femme is to you.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Aspiring Member
    I expect that if you were really looking for a job, then your future employer would want you to be consistent in your gender presentation. If you interview enfemme and are hired, you should be prepared to conduct yourself as a lady in the workplace. As for what to wear, that is going to be determined by the job, but dressing conservatively (particularly for the transgendered) lets the interviewer know you are serious.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

In 2009 I was asked to serve on a planning committee set up to develop a program for GLBT youths who are thrown out of their homes for being gay or tg. The head of the committee expected that Melanie would be enfemme at all meetings. Mel before early retirement had served for 15 years as President of a health care company. After several meetings the head of the committee and primary investor, asked if I would meet him for a private lunch. I enjoyed meeting him for lunch in my finest female power outfit. He asked if I would accept the position of Chief Operating Officer when the program is funded and operational. I told him that if I accepted it would ne Melanie in the position. He wanted Melanie in the position and not Mel who he had never met before. Unfortunately after several months it was apparent the funds would not be available for completion of the project and I withdrew. I was dissapointed that I would not have the opportunity to work as Melanie full time enfemme. I am still looking for that opportunity.
    I love being "gender gifted"! www.pmpub.com

If your objective is really to get a job, dress in whatever gives you the best chance. Try to think like your interviewer. As one who has hired a lot of people, if you can't bother to bring your best presentation, I can't consider you a serious candidate. Sorry. But if it's appropriate, do it. When I shopped at a store that caters to crossdressers, my very helpful sales clerk was a crossdresser.

Not so new of a girl Missy Tanya's Avatar
    I think if your wanting a job as a female, you better be dressing the part. My favorite Catherine's Store has had special after hour fashion shows just for "us". The one SA setting it up was chatting with me after the 1st show and said I could model in their normal woman's shows if I wanted too. Now that threw me for a loop, and at the second show, as I was helping the others with outfit picking, she made the comment that I should work their for them.. Something for retirement?? Who knows, but you bet if I'm going in for the interview, I'm dressing pretty, and putting my best smile on..

Tanya

I think if you fully intend to show up to work everyday en femme yes definately go for it. but if you're nervous maybe you check out the human resources department of the store online they may have some policies posted.

And it's not really the same but a fellow cd'er and i were invited to be shot girls one weekend at a bar (a gay bar obviously). it was tons of fun and I actually got to keep some of the booze and beads and t shirts. plus some tips. It was great.

I was recently in a Lane Bryant and it was the first time I had ever seen a guy working in there. I was not in girl mode, and he came over and asked if I needed help. Quite friendly. I will say, in a nice way, he was a "plus size" and I would be willing to bet he was a crossdresser himself....the eyebrows, the movements, his familiarity with the clothing line, etc. I think that if I was going to apply for a job en femme, it would be a Lane Bryant, or Avenue, or Catheriens first.