Thread: Sleep study

Sleep study

I am going to stay the night at the local hospital for a sleep study.I am possibly suffering from sleep apnea.I am really torn in what to wear.I am getting more and more adventurous and will have a manicure in the am,complete with a pretty shade of purple/lavender.I am considering a pretty pair of high cut panties under my male pj bottoms and a light camisole under a oversized white tee.Any thought's?

Won't that taint the study?? Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

If it was a test like I took, the hospital supplied all night clothes and after all the contacts and leads were attached to me, any thoughts of sexy undies were lost.
    Super Mod

Oh God, Thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

The Breton Fisherman's Prayer was engraved on a brass plaque and presented to President John F. Kennedy by US Navy Admiral Hyman Rickover.

Daintre, gone but not forgotten, R.I.P. Angel xx

Tamara

I are being awesome :) Brittany North's Avatar
    Wear what you like but there will likely be a chest strap (to monitor breathing) and tons of contacts as mentioned. I had a few overnights years ago (apnea since controlled with weight loss and while I planned to go direct to work the next morning, I just went home and showered because the conductive (?) gunk they use under the contacts all over the head was just nasty.
    ~britt~

Only in silence the word,
    only in dark the light,
    only in dying life:
    bright the hawk's flight
    on the empty sky

Michigan, SE and Michigan Upper Lower Penn./ just under the bridge like a troll
    Good luck MIcayla ! I hope you do not have sleep apnea. I am still trying to get use to sleeping with a mask on.
    I just did 2 of the same test 6 months ago. I have it lightly, but have lost 30 pounds since. I just wore jeans and a T shirt. With all the wires, gunk and straps I would not bother wearing anything else. Don't know if it matters to you, but a video of your sleep will probably be made to see your sleeping positions also.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I guess it depends:
    Did they want male or female test subjects?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

*Kisses and Best Wishes* Wendy_Marie's Avatar
    Micayla...I worked for a Medical company and helped set up the equipment for such studies for many years...The staff would want you to wear what you wear to bed on any given night and what you feel the most comfortable in.....You don't want to go in for this test and be changing the variables which could be a symptom of your need for a sleep study in the first place.....in other words...if it aint broke...dont fix it.

If you wear a nighty to bed every other night of the week..then do so on the night of your test Hun...just call the sleep lab up and they will tell you the same thing I pormise.
    [SIZE="3"]"I can't talk girl talk when there is a guy inside my head." Gracie Lou Freebush[/SIZE]
    Is this all that's left of my life before me. Straight Jacket Memories and Seditive Highs! No Happy Ending like they always Promised...There's got to be something left for me... And I Turn my Head and Stare into the Eyes of a Stranger.
    To those of you who consider yourselves to be "Cat People" I apologize in advance for I am not.

I've taken one of those studies. If you normally wear women's underwear to bed, then you should wear it for the study. They really don't care what you wear, but what they do care about is that they don't want you awake all night. Wear what makes you most comfortable. When you have about two dozen wires attached to your head, very little movement, and getting up to go to the bathroom may require assistance, you will want to be as comfortable as possible.

You might also want to consider bringing an i-pod or MP3 player and ear-buds so that you can listen to some nice soft going to sleep music. Anything that will help you sleep. Avoid anything that might keep you awake. What they want to see is you snoring until you stop. If, when you stop snoring, you also stop breathing, they know that you have apnia and will recommend a CPAP device.

If you wear a shiny sheer nightie to bed every night, then that's what you should wear to the study. Nobody will be upset if you do.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Thanks for the advice; I don't have my own appointment yet but they are to call me, so I have been wondering the same thing. I was thinking that they might put electrodes on the torso, but it sounds like they don't.

I don't expect that I have sleep apnea, but something is going on with my sleep -- long long dreams that keep me from resting. And I do sometimes cross my legs while I am sleeping... which happens to be the same position that relieves my back pain.

My sleep study comprised of FINGER monitor and a night at my apartment. I asked if it would come of cause I sleep like a girl in a mud bath. They said no problem and the were right, It didn't come off. My sleep still sucks, I wish they would let me do one of those sleep overs so they could see the wrestling match.
    Susan

*Kisses and Best Wishes* Wendy_Marie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanCACD View Post
    My sleep study comprised of FINGER monitor and a night at my apartment. I asked if it would come of cause I sleep like a girl in a mud bath. They said no problem and the were right, It didn't come off. My sleep still sucks, I wish they would let me do one of those sleep overs so they could see the wrestling match.
    Susan
    Susan, this is not an actual sleep study..just what is called an overnight oximetry...they were looking to see if your O2 saturation levels dropped below 80% in the night which would be an indicator that you need supplemental Oxygen Therapy.
    An actual sleep study monitors many factors including Brain Activity and nerual patterns to see when you are in and out of REM Sleep amongst other things.
    Last edited by Wendy_Marie; 09-26-2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: added statements
    [SIZE="3"]"I can't talk girl talk when there is a guy inside my head." Gracie Lou Freebush[/SIZE]
    Is this all that's left of my life before me. Straight Jacket Memories and Seditive Highs! No Happy Ending like they always Promised...There's got to be something left for me... And I Turn my Head and Stare into the Eyes of a Stranger.
    To those of you who consider yourselves to be "Cat People" I apologize in advance for I am not.

I went through a sleep study with about a hundred wires attached to my body. I was forced to sleep on my back, which I never do, and was held rigidly in place with the wires so I couldn't even roll to the side a little bit. I usually get up to pee in the middle of the night, but I couldn't do this during the test, so I dehydrated myself before the test. Afterward they told me I had sleep apnia, because I had awakened more than 400 times during the night. The test itself lasted no more than 480 minutes, which meant I was waking up almost once a minute on the average, despite the fact that I had had several long and vivid dreams.

I immediately challenged the scientific validity of the test, and never heard from them again. I believe that the results that were reported to me were completely bogus, and even if they weren't the test was not scientifically valid, because I don't normally sleep with a bunch of wires holding me in place.

I'm not a physician, and I'm not giving anyone any advice about the matter. But that's what happened to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy_Marie View Post
    Micayla...I worked for a Medical company and helped set up the equipment for such studies for many years...The staff would want you to wear what you wear to bed on any given night and what you feel the most comfortable in.....You don't want to go in for this test and be changing the variables which could be a symptom of your need for a sleep study in the first place.....in other words...if it aint broke...dont fix it.

If you wear a nighty to bed every other night of the week..then do so on the night of your test Hun...just call the sleep lab up and they will tell you the same thing I pormise.
    Thank you! Now I know I can be me when I go in for my study! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

I have just done one of those recently (three weeks ago).
    The technician who was in charge had an apprentice with her and asked if it would be ok to use me as a test for her.
    Absolutely gorgeous girl from India with a figure I would kill for. But I would need to be 35 years younger.
    They encouraged me to bring along alcohol if that was what I usually consumed before bed and to wear what I felt most comfortable in.
    I settled on boxers and a tee shirt.

The girls brought along a razor to shave my legs so that the electrodes would stick to my skin and not the hair to give good conductivity.
    I was sitting down when this happened and I just said "you won't need to do that".
    The tech looked at me and said "are you naturally hairless on your legs and chest"
    I just grinned and said "no" and left it for them to wonder.

I too would have to question the validity of the test as I slept on my back because of not wanting to disturb the wires and I usually sleep on my right side. Whilst on my back they recorded a slight snoring and sleep apnea. When on my side totally good sleep with no undue leg or body movement.

I had this test to see why I feel so tired when driving.
    Fortunately the passengers screams wake me up before I hit anything. LOL

Philippa Jane

When I did mine it was just panties that I wore as I was told ahead of time that all those electrodes and such would be attached to me and that kind of made it senseless to wear something feminine on top....would just get in the way.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Whatever you do, get the study done. Sleep apnea is a serious thing. Mine gradually built up undetected until suddenly one night I couldn't sleep for more than a few minutes at a time. Test showed I had an extremely severe case of apnea with extremely low blood oxygen levels. On CPAP for a year and a half now and I've slept and felt better than I had in years -- though I still could stand to lose quite a bit of weight.

post study

Ughhh what a horrible night.Went in last night and was wired up ,6 leads to the head,2 to shoulders and 2 to the legs.Can't really call it a sleep study because I really don't believe I slept more than a few minutes at any one time.I was dressed in a comfy tee and male pj's.I did get a nice comment on my toes being a lovely shade of lavender but no big deal.I am curious to see what the results show.Thanks for all the advise.
    Micayla