Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do we get hell for dressing up and gg"s don"t

Why do we get hell for dressing up and gg"s don"t

GG:s dress in mans clothing all the time and know one say a thing.We dress in woman clothing and we get hell and are call all kind of names . WHY

SALLY

Hmmmm, I go out dressed all the time and never get hell. I talk with complete strangers and have wonderful conversations, I have had only one catcall, mild too, in over 4 years of going out wherever I want. It is not just because I live in a tolerant area. Read some of the posts here and us "girls" go out all across the US and UK with minimal or no problems. The women can do it and men cannot argument is a very old one here. Why complain about others? Just live your life as best you can and enjoy it. Men have issues because we are not out on the public enough to help others get used to a man in femme clothing. When that happens a lot more, people will be more tolerant.

I can remember when comedians used to make jokes about women wearing pants. It was not commonly done in those days. If you go further back to the 19th century when George Sand used to appear in male garb it was thought shocking. Over time, women in men's clothing has become accepted. Perhaps someday men in women's clothing will be more accepted by the general public.

Hi Fungril, I dress and go out quite regularly and have never had a bad experience....BUT, I am presenting en femme with hair and make up etc (not passable in our speak, but I do OK).

GG's dont generally dress in mens clothing, they wear pants that are designed for them......and whether we like it or not, the general population are perfectly comfortable with seeing GG's in jeans, or a pant suit. That same general public, although aware or our existance are generally not used to seeing males in skirts. We are considered crossdressers, GG's in pants are not. Just my

I am surprised at how few people notice or react how I dress. I am always respectful of others and think I am treated the same way.

Because those women aren't trying to present as men. A user on another forum I frequent got caught dressing up as a man and actually did get shit from her/his family.
    Last edited by VioletJourney; 10-07-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Sally, maybe because presenting as a woman is heaven.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fungril View Post
    GG:s dress in mans clothing all the time and know one say a thing.We dress in woman clothing and we get hell and are call all kind of names . WHY

SALLY
    Dear fun,

This question is so old it has cobwebs on it.

The answer is:

Women don't try to look like men when they wear pants. They are just women in pants.

Crossdressing men USUALLY try to look like women when they wear women's cothes. THAT'S why society gives them grief.

But really, dear, VERY few people give much of a rat's behind WHAT you wear. Dress nice (not ****ty), be polite, SMILE, and few others will care.

S

Next time you see a woman doing that... Call her a pervert!! And chase her down the street..

Even if they were..... which they aren't... Two wrongs don't make a right! Didn't you mom tell you that? If your like me you were not paying attention... Too busy going through her lingerie drawers! Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Is this question conjecture or peronal experience? I will hazard a guess, conjecture!
    start going out dressed and THEN come back and ask the question if it is true for you, I doubt it will be unless you live somewhere REAL backwoods then we may never hear from you again : P

Women have spent decades winning the right to wear trousers as they think they are comfortable and practical... and women's trousers and jeans probably are...

For many things I do in life trousers/jeans work best... but skirts are so much more comfortable.

As to public opinion... we haven't won that right yet... and I doubt we will. My wife loves skirts in the summer, but wears jeans/trouser mostly year round... she doesn't see any gender issues in what she wears... but if I wear a skirt... different story!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Best not to go "there" my friend. In any case anyone who calls me a name will obviously get a fat lip.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by fungril View Post

SALLY
    Simple. Because they aren't trying to appear masculine or emulate a male; when women dress in male clothing, it's most often to do some kind of work, not for appearances sake. We, on the other hand, usually go out of our way to appear feminine as possible when we dress up. You'll note that women who wear men's clothing still wear female underwear. We go to great lengths to wear female underwear as well as jewelry, make up, and do our hair like a girl as well.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

What if there was no difference and men felt comfortable in dresses and heels and hose just as women with pants?

It would take all the fun out it, IMHO. Where would the thrills be then? There would be no point to CDing any more. As a fetish/hobbyist fairweather CD, I'd hate for all the fun to be drained out by some unisex clothing future....

Best,
    SS

Second thought - Try this thought experiement - Bring a brightly colored flower print fabric to a mens suit maker and get a nicely fitted suit made. In which mode will you get more wierd looks, in guy mode in your new suit or en femme in a nice tasteful sheath or skirt suit made from the same fabric?
    Last edited by skirtsuit; 10-07-2011 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie S View Post
    Women don't try to look like men when they wear pants. They are just women in pants.

Crossdressing men USUALLY try to look like women when they wear women's cothes. THAT'S why society gives them grief.
    I agree with everything except for the last part. If crossdressing men didn't try to look like women, and just wore women's clothes, they'd likely get just as much, or even more grief than they do going the whole hog. I've never had any comments from anyone when out fully girled up, but I can almost guarantee you if I just went out in guy mode wearing a skirt, I'd get all sorts of stares and comments. Hell, I get comments when in full guy mode if I wear something slightly out of the norm. Maybe I just live in an area where people are more likely to comment. Btw, I'm mostly talking about guys aged 14-20 here when I talk about the people who comment.

Anyway, that's almost irrelevant to the topic. Guys will be able to wear girls clothes in a similar fashion to girls wearing guys ones, when enough guys start doing it in numbers so as to make it mainstream and normal. I can't see it happening though, because we'd need the help of non-crossdressing men, as we simply don't have the numbers. If it became a normal thing, it might be harder for us to actually crossdress in future. I sometimes think that we MtF, have it a lot better then FtM, because we have such a wide range of female-only items to choose from.

Dear me, I babbled on a bit.
    Edit: and skirtsuit already said what I said at the end. D'oh. Mental note: read every reply.
    Last edited by Engendered; 10-07-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Come now. Skirts and dresses are the "domain" or "Women". Dress slacks and skinny jeans are items that they have chosen to take into that domain.

For those who are old enough, the sight of a woman in a mans dress shirt (and 'nothing else') was considered erotic. Never has a man in a 'woman's attire' been presented as erotic.

So, getting back to male clothing on females, it was a sexual "revolution" that brought it about.

As I grew up, we were bussed to school. The girls were permitted to wear jeans to and from school, but were required to change into a skirt or dress once there. This was a safety precaution in the winter in the event that the bus "broke down" on the rural roads. This was in the days before phones were portable in any way. If it didn't have a cord, it wouldn't work.
    Inside every good man, there is a good woman.

Because women (GG) have anti discrimination laws and we (CD/TV/TG/TS/MtF/FtM) don't...... yet.

I'm fairly new to going out dressed but I haven't had an experience that could be described as "catching Hell." I've experienced a few teen giggles but I don't really know if they were because they thought I was male or because I was 6'2" tall.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

This question might be old and have cobwebs on it BUT!!!! It still angers me. I'd like to just wear my female clothes outside the house and not present myself as being female. For me it is truely the clothes that I love not being female or presting myself as female. Unfortunatly in order for me to go out dressed I must present myself as being female in order to avoid any fallout.

So thinking with that in mind GG's do get away with wearing clothes marketed for men in public without any flack. If I was to put a top and leggings on and run to the mini mart you can bet i'd get all kinds of flack. The many names i'd be called are countless and very hurtful.

Just to add my wife shops in the mens section for her clothes according to her the mens section has a better selection. I disagree with her and tell her that the womens section is the better selection BTW she knows I dress and fully supports me I dress at home all the time.
    Hugs and kisses Brenda

Many GG's are not wearing women's clothes that are "styled like men's clothes". I see numerous GG's shopping in the men's section, both in regular clothing stores and in the SallyAnn. And they are not buying for someone else, otherwise they would not be trying the clothes on. Also, many obviously are wearing men's clothes while shopping.

Wow! I'm surprized this thread has lasted this long. Well, if you have to know, there are two "gendered" styles of clothing. Female and unisex. Women can wear both styles without raising an eyebrow but men can only wear the unisex style or they are "crossdressers." That's just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by bredalee25 View Post
    So thinking with that in mind GG's do get away with wearing clothes marketed for men in public without any flack. If I was to put a top and leggings on and run to the mini mart you can bet i'd get all kinds of flack. The many names i'd be called are countless and very hurtful.
    VERY RARLY do I see woman wearing "clothes marketed for men"! when are you guys going to wake up and realize the days of woman wearing skirts and dresses exclusively are LONG GONE. Woman wear pants marketed to woman they are cut to a woman's figure the zipper is shorter and usually the pockets are useless.

until you go out and TRY wearing your femme clothing in public then you have no reason to whine! there is a member here who says he goes out in skirts and dresses all the time without makeup or wig or any attempt to pass as a woman without problems!

Yes, it's an age-old question, but then again, who ever said that life was fair? On the other hand, we get to pee standing up, are not afflicted with periods, don't get cellulite or bunions, and are still often paid better for equivalent work. It all works out in the long run...

But more to the point, whatever advantages women appear to have - no one ever handed those out to them on a silver platter; they had to fight tooth and nail for every advancement. Whether it was the right to vote, not be considered their husband's property, getting equal pay for equal work, or yes - even the "right" to wear pants and other typical male attire - they had to convince a predominantly male establishment that they should be entitled to these things as well. Of course, the pendulum now has swung in the direction of women asking for even more as their confidence and sense of entitlement starts to go beyond mere equality, and it's now the men who are playing "catch up".

So here's the deal - rather that whine about the unfairness of it all, we need to take a page from the women's' playbook and do exactly what they have done to assert our "right" to wear women's clothing or masculinized (read:unisex) versions of the same thing without guilt or shame.

When I go out as "Leslie", I make a point of dressing better and more put together than 90% of the GG's that I run into in the malls, on the streets, and in the restaurants etc. Do I get read? - sure I do, from time to time. But I also like to think that I am read less as simply a "man in a dress" and more as a "Wow! Is that really a man in a dress? He looks great and has an amazing fashion sense. I wish I had legs like that, or could walk in heels as well as he does! I clearly need to step up my game..." That's empowerment, and that's acceptance, and it's a mindset that women have had for some time now, but we were always too privileged or too spoiled in our "man's world" to ever notice that.

But when it comes to wearing women's clothing, the shoe (or rather, the pump ) is on the other foot, and we need to grow a pair and assert ourselves just as women have had to do in the past to to get their due.

So suck it up, ladies, "own" your crossdressing, and resolve to never again allow anyone to try to embarrass you or guilt you out for simply expressing this important part of yourselves - just as the guy (or gal) with the multiple tattoos or piercings does, and who also doesn't give a rat's @ss what others may think of their particular fashion statement.

Quote Originally Posted by skirtsuit View Post
    What if there was no difference and men felt comfortable in dresses and heels and hose just as women with pants?

It would take all the fun out it, IMHO. Where would the thrills be then? There would be no point to CDing any more. As a fetish/hobbyist fairweather CD, I'd hate for all the fun to be drained out by some unisex clothing future....

Best,
    SS

Second thought - Try this thought experiement - Bring a brightly colored flower print fabric to a mens suit maker and get a nicely fitted suit made. In which mode will you get more wierd looks, in guy mode in your new suit or en femme in a nice tasteful sheath or skirt suit made from the same fabric?
    Good points, skirtsuit, but clearly you've never heard of iconic NHL hockey sports commentator Don Cherry :

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.5.html

Wearing these outlandish sports jackets has become his "schtick" over the years for whatever reason, and his fans just lap it up. And Don is as "macho" - to the point of almost being homophobic - as it gets. Go figure...

parkbench just outside hells gate near enuf to airport to take off...finally the parkbench has wings
    I think this topic has been done to death before...but hey...

perhaps this may solve something for you Fungril

Women who wear pants & polo shirts have no thought of gender when they choose their clothing. Men who wear dresses, and women's pants & polo shirts do. It's as simple as that.

answer the question... I note that some of the posters here have it right.
    "A day without red wine is like a day without sunshine.."
    when the devils feet hit the floor you can hear the good lord .. say "awwww crap shes up"
    Eleanor Rooservelt "behind every man stands a woman"......
    but then in my devlish attitude behind everyman stands many women depends, on many things or how he/she dresses..laffing
    Remember, strength based in force is a strength people fear. Strength based in love is a strength people crave.