Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does your camera lie?

Does your camera lie?

Last night I wore a nice black cowl top, long black faux-leather skirt, black stockings and black heels. I thought my makeup was pretty good. I looked in the mirror and felt really great about my look. My wife (who is partial) said I looked great too. She took about 30 pics...and we went on to have a wonderful evening together. I download the pics during breakfast and we both looked at them...she commented that they didn't do justice to they way I looked last night and I agreed.
    Did my camera lie? (lol) I've attached 1 pic. Anybody else had their camera lie?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think you look good maybe a little more light would help

Sometimes my camera is my best friend, my lover, elevating me to places I never thought I could go. Other times and most recently, it is a b!ch. It makes me look old and masculine. I hate it, but I just can't quit it
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Banned Read only
    I find my mirror lies. I haven't taken pictures of myself en femme. However, when I see pictures of myself en homme it shows the true body and face. I've taken that view into consideration when buying my dresses. Because I do not have the hour glass of a woman I stay with sheaths and empire waist dresses.

Hi Diana

I’m not at all photogenic and I’m always disappointed with my pictures. I’ve looked in the mirror while enfemme and been very pleased with the image I see and subsequently been told how good I look and all the while being terribly disappointed with the photos. I’ve done a fair amount of photography and I know how much the right lighting can affect the picture as well as the pose and the also the photographer taking the photo. Setting up the camera on a tripod and trying to take your own photos is extremely difficult and rarely results in a decent picture. I’ve also learned that while the makeup may look good in the ambient light it seldom works for photography – I’ve been in TV studios and have noticed how different people look on the screen from how they look in person when viewed with my eyes.
    Babs

I look good in mirror, but photos don't come out so well. I think it might have to do with the light reflected off the makeup. Have you tried without flash?
    Last edited by sara.s; 10-09-2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: grammar

it lies constantly! sometimes in my favor, sometimes not. That is why i take tonnnns eventually it will tell the truth!
    the only limit that u set, is the one u set yourself.

Gold Member
    You look great; A digital camera is on my wish list. I just have a 35 MM Canon Rebel, I do not think they
    make film for anymore. I have to stop buying outfits and save up for a good cameras. LOL
    Rader

My camra dosent lie,its ok,i dont take meny pics,most of the pics i do take are family shots and my kids look great apart from the guy in the photo so despritly wanting to look 100% woman.

My camera lies, but not only that, it hates me. It takes pictures from the worst angle and emphasizes the worst parts!

Quote Originally Posted by Robynts View Post
    My camera lies, but not only that, it hates me. It takes pictures from the worst angle and emphasizes the worst parts!
    Lets swap cameras when we meet next time.. I think our cameras would start behaving well then..

Lighting is the biggest part of photography.

But, a trick that many pro photographers use is to reverse the image, left to right.

That way, when you look at the picture, it is the same image you would see in the mirror. Try it out. Take a picture, reverse it and put the two side by side. Which one do you like better?
    Inside every good man, there is a good woman.

You have to remember that the camera lens sees all within its focal range. The human eye has the ability to be selective in what it sees and can focus in on any small aspect within its field of view. That means we can select what we like about ourself and ignore the rest. But the camera lens never lies.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I have to agree, I often think I look better when looking at myself in the mirror than when I see myself in pictures. In my case, that's partly due to the fact that I am a little near sighted and so I get a little "natural soft focus" when i see myself in the mirror LOL .. plus I also think there is a little mind play going on too. We feel great when dressed and so I believe it influences how we perceive ourselves so looking in the mirror sometimes seems better. That said, what others have said about lighting is so true, especially with flash, it can make your foundation look like crap sometimes plus you can look all shiny too yet in "real life" there's no shine. Also, IMO if your camera is of a too higher quality (lots of mega pixels) it shows all your wrinkles and flaws and every line
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Outdoor girl seeking..... Sam-antha's Avatar
    The camera can indeed lie, but not nearly as often as the mirror.
    Try the next photo with your head up a bit and abit more frontal.

Sometimes I hate my digital cameras. Film cameras are much better for fashion shots. The film has a depth which makes people look more three dimensional, and it softens blemishes. New digital cameras with super resolution will make anyone look terrible if the camera is set on anything much higher than 480 x 640 image size. Once you start getting into 760 KB plus images you're starting to get TMI, and if you go up to two megapixel or above every pore, wrinkle, unplucked eyebrow, untrimmed nose hair, and zit scar from when you were 13 y.o. with acne is going to show, no matter how good your makeup skills are. People don't look at other people with magnifying glasses in real life, and you shouldn't encourage them to do it with high-res jpegs. Caveat: It is much more difficult to set up a film camera for a remote shot than a digital, if the digital is equipped for remote (cheaper models usually aren't). Film cameras usually require a mechanical wire remote shutter control, but the results are much more reassuring and flattering and, ultimately, more akin to what the eye sees in real time.

It is very difficult to get a good picture with a flash mounted on the camera. It causes all sorts of unnatural shadows and glares. Therefore, turn off the flash and use more lights. Also, keep in mind that most photos that you see in magazines and on the net have been enhanced along the way.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbra P View Post

Setting up the camera on a tripod and trying to take your own photos is extremely difficult and rarely results in a decent picture.
    I disagree. The physical connections take a minute or so, and any modern digital camera can accommodate tele and wide-angle views effortlessly. Built-in flash works for most settings, but strong natural light can be nice too. The flash can make you shiny, but natural light can show shadows that make you look droopy and stark. Experiment at length. The best technique tip I can offer is to take lots and lots of shots using a remote control. The best posing tip I can offer is to smile a lot of different ways until you find one that's just right. I have lots of older pics with too big a smile, all toothy and forced. Then I found one that was kind of Mona Lisa-ish, a pleasant, understated happy face. Watch your body language closely and critically. I've seen sooooooo many CD pics with the subject just standing there like a linebacker, arms hanging from the shoulders, and a mugshot facial expression.

You're taking girly pics, so act girly. Toss your head, tilt your head, roll your eyes, turn left and right, look up and down, flirt with the camera. Some will be so bad you'll risk falling off your heels onto the floor laughing at yourself, but then you'll catch that just-right moment that makes it all worthwhile...

Learn to use Photoshop or similar tools, not to phony your images up, but maybe to unshiny that nose, blur a background, or change the perceived lighting of the shot. It's also fun to experiment with extremes of contrast and other attributes to create artsy shots.

Oh, yes, one more thing. Those of you too young to remember when film was the only medium, with the inherent delays and privacy risks of developing film, cannot begin to understand how wonderful it is to have the number of exposures limited only by the capacity of a chip the size of your fingernail that can be reloaded in minutes at the computer. Take lots, delete the duds, and treasure the good ones.

LIE!!?? Heck yeah it does, like an old rug on a dirty floor. I hate that thing (sometimes), there are others that it lies in a good way. That's not often though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into... the Girly Zone.
    [url]http://www.facebook.com/Staci Grace

Aspiring Member
    Oops! I forgot to add another tech tip: connect your camera to a TV or other monitor so you can see yourself as the camera does while composing your poses.

Mine lies to me sometimes, and the result is a pic that actually looks like a pretty woman. But I wish it would lie to me a little more often. And couldn't it tell me I had a 28" waist a little more often? Is that asking too much?

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

What did the camera lie about? I see a beautiful, mature woman. Did you expect a gorgeous, young model? You were happy, your wife was happy, you had a great time, and I think most of us would agree you look fabulous. Personally, I'd kill to look that good and have a wife willing to take pictures, much less spend time with me in femme.
    [SIZE="2"]
    I give you a new commandment, that you love one another.
    Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]
    John 13:34
    [/SIZE]
    Find me: Google+

Good suggestions from Acastina. Myself I try to get rid of to much light color or too much bright light in the backgroud--it makes the face look dark. I say avoid the "Hot background". Outdoors on a cloudy day in the shade with bushes and trees(no sunlight) in the background is my favorite.
    If indoors block part of the flash with your finger to avoid "whiteface". Use a tiny piece of aluminum foil to bounce the flash off the ceiling.

I tend to find the mirror is rose tinted, and the camera just tells the truth. But there is always photoshop to iron out those pesky wrinkles, and minor make up faults.
    "She snuck up on me from behind. You'd think women would make more noise with those big high heels, but they don't, they've got this stealth thing going..."

doesn't look like the camera lied too me. Are you wearing glasses, if you are you'd better clean them.

In an Enigma,surrounded by a Black Hole,inside a Conundrum
    Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla View Post
    Mine lies to me sometimes, and the result is a pic that actually looks like a pretty woman. But I wish it would lie to me a little more often. And couldn't it tell me I had a 28" waist a little more often? Is that asking too much?
    .................................... lmao!
    "it all unfolds before your eyes ,let Merlin cast his spell" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]