Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does your camera lie?

the camera never lies , remember a photo is moment of time that is caught at that split second , so thats how you looked then, but saying that there are also many there factors that determin how the photo looks so there are varients that can alter then end result

My camera dosn't lie, but the program used to edit the pictures does!

The camera doesn't lie, but it also doesn't tell the whole truth. The eye and mind can invent light and shadows where none exist, and the impression one gets of a person has as much to do with movement, sound, smell and general "vibrations" as it does with the visual image alone. I've been a professional photographer, audio and video producer for over 30 years now, and have never yet made an image that could capture the whole reality of a person or setting. It is an incomplete record of some aspects of a moment in time, at best. (I have some nice equipment, and good cameras, lenses and lighting make things better, of course -- but only indirectly more "real.")

- Diane

WOW! I thought it was only my camera that was broken. Just kidding, i can't believe how sometimes i look in the mirror and think i look great . Then i take some pictures and wow i look really bad. I thought it was the flash but then i second look at myself and i believe what the camera saw.

My camera has always lied!!! And so does everyone else!! No way I look as good people say I do.. I can't see it myself and I don't feel it at all.. I look like a guy in a dress... Lies!! All lies!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Nope, but then again I'm a heavy tipper to both my camera and my mirror.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I take a lot of pictures of myself dress and most of them I will delete as the mirrow and my mine tell me one thing and the camera another

Personally I think it's not the camera, but it's we who lie. It's so easy to look in the mirror and believe we look fabulous, but I find tht the pics tell the real tale. I see myself more critically in the pics and I think that helps me refine my appearance and mannerisms to make me blend more easily into society.
    There are times when I feel so good in an outfit and then see a pic and go, what was I thinking. Then there are other times when I don't care for an outfit that much and yet it seems to be so nice in the pics (and when my wife criticizes it too). Go figure....
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

LOL, my camera lies ALL the time! I think I look really great and then phewy....I look like hell!

My camera tells the truth. It tells me that I'm older than I would like to be. It tells me that I should work on losing my belly. It tells me that my hip pads are too short and need to be tapered (I can work on that). It tells me that my boobs are big enough to attract unwanted attention (OK, I fixed that). And, it tells me that I don't naturally smile, I look too serious.

The camera shows me how other people see me. It's a good learning tool.

As for lighting, outdoors but out of direct sun is about as good as you're going to get without a lot of equipment and talent.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

the happy camper
    I'm sometimes able to manipulate it into telling me what I want to hear.

The camera does not lie, however their is a filter called the brain which does... Try this, take a picture of yourself when you are dressed and feel really ugly. Save the picture and view it sometime, weeks or days later when you are in a happy mood and see if your opinion is different. Pictures don't lie, except perspective and lighting might mislead you also, ever shine a flashlight under your chin in the dark to scare someone? Not too flattereing.
    Chickie

Temporarily 600 miles north of my San Diego
    What if the camera tells the truth and it's our eyes that deceive us? Ooooo... "The time has come, to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing-wax. Of cabbages and kings. And why the sea is boiling hot. And whether pigs have wings." ^_~

You look great, btw.
    I don't try to look like a woman that fits in. I try to look like a woman that stands out.

http://www.facebook.com/maxinesnotdead

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    My camera lies like a RUG! If it told the truth, I wouldn't believe it! I'd STILL think Sherry's pretty!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Silver Member
    No the camera does not lie. It shows what was before it. Your brain lies. Watch the show on NG about the brain. The problem is many cameras record at 8 bits per pixel and your eyes at about 14 bits/pixel plus other factors and your brain also fills in a bunch of information. The other problem is the amount of light. If you look at any magazine those pictures are retouched. Most of them overly done. A typical magazine face shot can require 6 hours or more of concentrated retouching. A photo from a portrait shoot can easily take 20 to 120 minutes to do.

The other problem is you know who you are and look for you not her. The brain looks for features that it recognizes in you. Anyone who knows who it is will always look for you.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    My Camera is a habitual liar (well in my mind) but im afraid in reality its telling me the honest truth sadly

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Michigan, SE and Michigan Upper Lower Penn./ just under the bridge like a troll
    My camera likes to add back all the weight I just lost, I guess it has a memory.

My Camera just magnifies the worst of the trainwreck I call my face. I wish it would lie and tell me I'm better looking . Thank God for photoshop but it still doesn't look good.

Sometimes it lies. I delete those pics, and keep only the ones where the camera is telling the truth. Sometimes editing software must intervene to force the truth.

Since several people have told me that I look better in person, there's two possibilities:

The camera lies or my friends lie!

Does it lie? yup all the time... :/

My camera doesn't necessarily lie... but it does play games with me! Just when I think I should give up and accept that I am a wrinky old ugly guy in a wig it delivers a picture I like and am even prepared to post! And so it pulls me in again... playing its little games... flattering me and even flirting and then showing my ugly side again. Love hate relationship I think!

Digital with full on flash from the camera will always exaggerate beard shadow. The flash picks it up when in normal light the human eye won't. Flash on the camera will make a less expensive wig look shiny and artificial.

The camera does lie as it is a function of the light and what it sees is not what we see. This is why most good internal shots have lots of attention applied to lighting. there is an added dimension in that we never see a still picture in real life... our expressions are always changing. The camera will pick up an expression we never see in real life... this is also one of the beauties about camera as an art form... it captures a moment in time that no-one ever really sees.

In the good old analogue days, fashion/beauty shots always used soft focus... programmes like Photoshop allow us to use similar effects, if we wish to.
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

the happy camper
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Digital with full on flash from the camera will always exaggerate beard shadow. The flash picks it up when in normal light the human eye won't. Flash on the camera will make a less expensive wig look shiny and artificial.
    Yes! Very true. I learned never to use the flash for my pics. We have floor lamps that I use to provide additional lighting. My camera also has a way to set the white balance for the available light. When I figured out how to use that, my pics greatly improved. Just using the automatic settings wasn't working well. I would end up looking either blue, or orange.

Getting the right pose is also important. I have trouble with that one. My biggest problem is smiling. I hate showing my teeth when I smile--I have such a cheesy grin. So I keep my lips together, and think I'm smiling, but in the picture I'll look dead serious. Also, I never know what to do with my arms. :/

Something else to consider is that many people are just more attractive than a static picture can show. I was talking to a GG friend of mine yesterday about this. She recently got into online dating, and says she has a problem with trying to judge the attractiveness of men from their pictures. She said that the sexiest guy in the office where she works would not seem like all that much if one just took a picture of him, because his sexiness is in the way he carries himself--his self-confidence, humor, etc. I've seen that in women too. So if your mirror says you're attractive, and your camera tells you something else, believe the mirror.

I gave up using a camera long ago. My iPad is my friend now - it enables me to take as much video as I like that I can then edit and take stills from the frames where I look good. I think video has really helped my look, mannerisms and confidence. However I went out with friends on Saturday night and was snapped by someone's camera and I look horrendous. I don't know what happened - I have video of me before and after going out and I think I looked pretty good.

Somebody's camera was lying, either mone or hers, I'm not sure which.
    Caught your hand inside the till,
    Slammed your fingers in the door.
    Fought with kitchen knives and skewers.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ellisia_Lynch View Post
    I gave up using a camera long ago. My iPad is my friend now -.
    Isn't it still a camera?

I thought it was pretty strange the other day when I saw a woman holding up what looked to be a book but was actually an ipad to take a picture. Personally, I miss the viewfinder on the new digital cameras, especially in bright sunlight.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda